Page 2 of 102 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression...

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by busa pete View Post
    That is true but once you have had situational or transient depression every time something happens in your life that you cant cope with you become depressed and have to go back on meds.
    ... unless you've learnt to recognise the triggers and deal with them (coping strategies).
    Like bike riding.
    Or sex.
    Or something.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    04 GSXR 1000
    Blog Entries
    Im lost for words...
    My bass is such a slapper.......I cant stop fingering those strings

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by placidfemme View Post
    Isn't it 1 in 5? Or is that just "mental illness" in general?
    They say that in the adds, but it sound so unbelievable that I would really question their definition of mental illness.

It's like Asthma. All my kids (4) were diagnosed with Asthma. Purchased a dehumidifier one year and none of them has had a problem since. Yet their records show they are all asthmatics - the definition is too loose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    Nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyhawk View Post
    Im lost for words...
    Sometimes that is not a bad thing, sometimes it is good to sit back and listen (or read) what people have to say. Depression is no longer something to be ashamed of and people will help when asked.
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyhawk View Post
    Im lost for words...
    That's OK. I make up for it with an overwhelming surfeit of 'em.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedOne View Post
    Depression is no longer something to be ashamed of and people will help when asked.
    Mebbe.
    I wish.
    In fact, it's better if you have some other incurable disease with less stigma attached to it, especially when it comes to things like job-hunting.

The bestest/hardest thing needed is unconditional acceptance. Knowing people are there for you, no matter what, is a big help.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    The bestest/hardest thing needed is unconditional acceptance. Knowing people are there for you, no matter what, is a big help.
    Couldn't have said that better!!!

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    depression is when the hole you dig get so far down that the only way you see out it to dig further.
    Like having a job where the paperwork pile keeps increasing and you will never go home.
    Its not a disease - you cant 'catch' depression - it is a lifestyle that eats away at you, bit by bit

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Mebbe.
    I wish.
    In fact, it's better if you have some other incurable disease with less stigma attached to it, especially when it comes to things like job-hunting.
    Yes - but why? Seriously? It's not like it's contagious? With a little time and attention is can be managed, and as I said - I'd like to know the longer term prospects.

For those that have been there - is it something there day to day, or something that pops up after ocasionally being triggered? And triggered by what kind of stuff?

Coping strategies (I hear exercise etc is good for stress and panic attacks for example).

And then along came the good folks of KB...
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    depression is when the hole you dig get so far down that the only way you see out it to dig further.
    Like having a job where the paperwork pile keeps increasing and you will never go home.
    Its not a disease - you cant 'catch' depression - it is a lifestyle that eats away at you, bit by bit
    That's a bit pesemistic (sp?) There is a way out of depression, it is just a matter of discovering what that way is and then putting that into play in your every day life.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    ... and the worstest thing is that it's all in your head.

Think about it: you live in your head. You are the way you think, the way you feel, the way you interface with the world is according to how your brain functions (or doesn't). When you can't trust your thoughts or feelings or interpretation of your world view, you're basically fucked. You can no longer interact with the world on an effective basis.

If you've got a broken leg, or are physically broken in some way, it can have a similar effect, but it's usually far more treatable or remediable, because you still have your faculties intact.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDownUnder View Post
    With a little time and attention is can be managed, and as I said - I'd like to know the longer term prospects.
    For those that have been there - is it something there day to day, or something that pops up after ocasionally being triggered? And triggered by what kind of stuff?
    Coping strategies (I hear exercise etc is good for stress and panic attacks for example).
    It can be managed in most cases but some people will live with it every second of every day for the rest of their lives. (with the occasional high). I've had depression and come out the other side a stronger person. Sometimes it takes a huge change in ones life to have an affect, may it be a change in job, relationship, exercise, a new pet etc.

Bike
    04 GSXR 1000
    Blog Entries
    I dont know what depression is. You can be fine one day and happy, on top of the world and then just snap - break down and never see a way out of the rut.
    My bass is such a slapper.......I cant stop fingering those strings

Bike
    FOR SALE
    Yes - but why? Seriously? It's not like it's contagious? With a little time and attention is can be managed, and as I said - I'd like to know the longer term prospects.

You have the long term prospects time attention and managment. Yes it is there every day some days worse than others on saying that there are some people out that only have the trigger effect and you can go days, months, years before the trigger goes off and it can be anything that will do that others are not so lucky. Coping strategeis every one has a differant way of dealing with it. depression it ment to be hereditary.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries

WRT to jobs, you can't tell a prospective employer you suffer from depression. In fact, I made the mistake of telling an existing employer, and the HR person and my boss conspired to have me fired. That was rather devastating. At least it taught me to be a bit more circumspect about what I said to people.

It's there all the time, but being really tired, or bored, or stressed makes it worse. Sometimes meds make it worse (!)

Yes, exercise helps (it's the endorphins you know). Sex is great for endorphins, so a quickie is better than a long run or whatever, especially when you suffer from aaaaarrrrrRRRthritis. And recognising when things are ... going wrong or heading towards a bad place can help.

Long-term prospects? Well, I'm basically fucked, and (honestly) hope I don't live to a ripe old age. But I can't complain (but sometimes I still do... etc etc - Joe Walsh).

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Thread Information