Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ST1100 and ST1300, What ya views?

Bike
    'o6 Spewzooki Banned it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiderInBlack View Post
    Have been told that the ST1300 is slower than the ST1100 and catches the wind more. Any truth in that?
    I doubt that. The 1300 will stay with an FJR to 160 k's, despite more weight and less power.
    Speed doesn't kill people.
    Stupidity kills people.

Bike
    2007 Honda ST1300A
    I have had an ST1100 for two years and recently bought a ST1300. the 1100 was very reliable with 86000MILES on the clock (About 139000km) with the voltage reg melting and being the thing that tipped the scales towards a trade in on the ST1300. pre 93 1100s have generators not alternators, and they can be expensive to repair as the engine needs to come out. the 1300 engine is shorter by about 50mm, the weight is both lowered and less than the 1100, and as a result the bike feels livlier and more stable in corners. it is surprisingly easy at walking pace. almost all my riding is two up. There is heaps of pillion room, even my 110kg buddy on the back is no sweat. My wife and I carry all we need for three weeks camping on the bike including stove, pots, sleeping bags, tent.... you get the idea. Fuel economy on the new bike is much better than the 1100. I'm getting between 17 and 18.7 km per litre two up and loaded down. The 1100 was carbed and the 1300 is injected. New bike is not much different in big winds than the old..... both surprisingly good there too. Electric screen on the 1300 is a great thing! At 185cm tall I find both comfortable. 3 seat heights on the 1300. Seats a bit bony as oldrider says.... but not too bad for the first couple of hours. (What's the deal with Rider Seats? I don't know about them..)

Give the STs a go.... then you'll know why so many love them, and if you don't there is always a line of folks witing for one!

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Quote Originally Posted by just plain happy View Post
    What's the deal with Rider Seats? I don't know about them.
    RIDER CUSTOM SEATS . Bloody awesome Read Custom Seats on this site. Makes all the difference in the world on "Roxanne" my old CBR1000FL for the long rides. No sheep skin needed for the Rust Nuts Grand Challenge using the Rider Seat.
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Tried a ST1300 today (as well as a V-Strom 1000 for the hell of it). Must say I loved it. Felt better than the ST1100. Played with the Electic Screen too. Awesome. Leg position is so much better than my CBR1000FL. Was so hard cramping my legs back to CBR1000F position afterwards. The total body position is just right for me and the bike didn't feel too big.

I want one. Too bad I'm broke arsed at the moment (Norf loving for ya , just joking), but gives me an awesome goal ta reach for.
    New Zealand......

Bike
    None any more
    Take an FJR for a strop before you shell out on an ST1300, Doug. Who knows, you may like it.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Take an FJR for a strop before you shell out on an ST1300, Doug. Who knows, you may like it.
    Might do that. Funny thing is Trumsure up here traded his ST1100 for a FJR. He didn't like it on the long run and swooped the FJR back for his old ST1100 LOst himself $5000 in the process.
    I will be trying quite a few bikes before I get ta buying time, but so far the ST1300 has been my favourite.
    New Zealand......

Bike
    86' BMW K75S
    I've been considering swapping my K75 for an ST1100 for some time. I've seen a few tatty imports at the grey dealers but never spoken to an actual owner.

Are there any hassles I need to look out for on these bikes?

I've read the exhaust is prone to rust, are the silencers good ol' mild steel or SS ?

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmT View Post
    are the silencers good ol' mild steel or SS ?
    Highest quality stainless. They'll probably last longer than the rest of the bike.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2003 suzuki DL650 V-Strom

eek st1100

I rented one the ST1100 in Sydney a last June. It was gutless I ride a 650 V Strome ant it has more get up and go. It weighs about 300kg so with cruising gear and mum on board you need to beef up those legs. Wouldnt recomment this bike.
    Mad Dog

Bike
    2003 suzuki DL650 V-Strom

Gutless

The rental I had in Sydney was Gutless. Also weighs 300kg. OK when up and going but wouldnt recomment it.
    Mad Dog

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance View Post
    I rented one the ST1100 in Sydney a last June. It was gutless I ride a 650 V Strome ant it has more get up and go. It weighs about 300kg so with cruising gear and mum on board you need to beef up those legs. Wouldnt recomment this bike.
    LOL. Someone must have given ya a lemon. The ones I have taken were less than gutless and had much more go than the V-Strom 1000 (which didn't suit me one bit). Candy Man's ST1300 hauls arse even two-up and carrying the kitchen sink. Very much doubt a V-Strom could carry the weight a ST can and still stay with it on a good hill. The ST power is deceptive.
    New Zealand......

Bike
    GL1800
    I ride an ST1300, but took a rock to the radiator near Oamaru, so the local dealer loaned me a ST1100 on Friday to finish the Southern Cross - got there on time etc etc.

I still have the 1100 while they fix mine, and MAN IT GOES WELL!

It just clocked over 190,000 km's yesterday and runs super smooth and sounds great.

I'd own one any day.

Bike
    I'd love to get a tourer next, and these bike sound like the go! V4 is it?

That'd sound very nice with a bit of pipe work.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Having been on long rides in the mid to late 90's with Richard Scoular and his then Mrs (on the back) on an ST1100 around the North Island (850km day) and later Richard Scott around the South Island (700+km days) on an ST1100 with both those boys having a racing background I can tell you the ST is not a slow bike. Luckliy we didn't have the HP police in those days keeping such a close eye on things.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty View Post
    I ride an ST1300, but took a rock to the radiator near Oamaru, so the local dealer loaned me a ST1100 on Friday to finish the Southern Cross - got there on time etc etc.

I still have the 1100 while they fix mine, and MAN IT GOES WELL!

It just clocked over 190,000 km's yesterday and runs super smooth and sounds great.

I'd own one any day.
    I think I know the one that they would have lent you,(silver?) it was one of the first ones produced too if I remember correctly.

Oamaru Honda are a very good and helpful franchise, nice new shop and workshop too.

They (ST1100) were and still are a very good long range touring motorcycle. Cheers John.

Thread Information