Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wellington Area Road Skills (WARS)

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada

Wellington Area Road Skills (WARS)

This is a weekly ride / mentoring session where all riders are welcome.

Now proudly supported by BRONZ, Two Bald Bikers motorcycle training and the Institute of Advanced Motorists.

When?: This ride is every Tuesday night during daylight saving hours. Meet from 6pm, depart 6:30pm.
    Where?: Caltex Fuel Stop on Old Hutt Road Kaiwharawhara
    Map: https://goo.gl/maps/pVF6E

We are running a different format to previous years - hence the name "Road Skills".

These are mentored rides where each ride will focus on a specific skill. The route will depend on weather and road conditions and will be announced on the night to those riders present.

Some of the skills we'll focus on are: proper formation riding, cornering, road positioning, throttle control, braking drills, gear selection, confidence, self awareness. Others skills will be introduced based on feedback.

Our routes include the 'Takas, Paekak hill, Western hills, Makara, Whitemans Valley, Hutt river, Carpark cone drills and slow speed confidence.

We are also lucky to have an NZTA approved instructor in attendance at each ride.

All riders are welcome. Whether you are a new rider, just passed your learners or an experienced rider who wants an independent check of any habits that have crept up on you.... come along. This is a social, no pressure ride with skills, mentoring and support being the focus.

There is no requirement to be a member of any affiliated / supported club or group (free!). There is also no sales speak or pressure to join anything.

All bike types are welcome - maxi scooters, cruisers, sports, old well loved or new machines. As long as you are comfortable at motorway speeds as most of our rides invariably involve some motorway work.

These are rode code compliant / road legal rides.

Meeting point is the same every week and these will run past daylight saving into autumn / winter.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    I don't understand
    Thread posted 6.54pm for a meet at 6pm start 6.30
    I think your going to get there late.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by mossy1200 View Post
    I don't understand
    Thread posted 6.54pm for a meet at 6pm start 6.30
    I think your going to get there late.
    Aha! Good spotting. I forgot to include "first ride is 14/10 - next tuesday"
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by davebullet View Post
    Aha! Good spotting. I forgot to include "first ride is 14/10 - next tuesday"
    Good thing you didn't post it earlier or I could have been waiting for 168hrs.

And your first lesson is one of patience. Congratulations you have passed level 1.

Bike
    Kate
    at least mossy will be there for the ride on Tuesday nice and early too
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. --- Unknown sage

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    at least mossy will be there for the ride on Tuesday nice and early too
    I heard there is a huge increase in female riders attending these events.
    Just saying.

Bike
    Thanks everyone for attending. A good inaugural turnout and good ride. Thanks to Stuart Nelson who gave an impromptu puncture repair to a rather saggy rear tyre that had become too closely acquainted with a screw or nail! Looking forward to more of these. Those that came, please feel free to provide feedback so we can improve these.

Next ride: Tuesday 21/10 - meet from 6pm (depart 6:30pm) at the Caltex on Old hutt Road, Kaiwharawhara
    Last edited by Gremlin; 20th October 2014 at 22:43. Reason: Oversized Images Removed
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    Hi all. On again tonight. Perfect weather for it. meet from 6pm. We have a new interesting route for tonights road skill. Hope to see you there

Bike
    Just a reminder to members and all riders the bronz road skills ride is on tonight. Meet from 6pm depart 6.30pm at the caltex in kaiwharawhara on the old Hutt road. See you there!

Bike
    Don't forget folks... Road skills ride tonight. Meet from 6pm at the caltex on old Hutt road kaiwharawhara. Tonight you get to practice some important handling skills with something new for this season. 'Cone' along and see what we are about!

Bike
    Hi folks. Tonight's road skills ride will finish with a route we have not yet done this season and a BBQ. We will detour on the way back to a supermarket to get steak / sausies. We will depart the usual place and time. Gather from 6pm at caltex kaiwharawhara

Bike
    Hi all. Just to let you know the Tuesday night ride is NOT on tonight (6th). It will resume from next tuesday (13th) thanks

Bike

its back on!

Don't forget the road skills ride is on tonight! Kaiwharawhara caltex old Hutt road. Meet from 6pm departing 6.30pm

Bike
    The Conscience
    Great ride tonight, 19 bikes all up so really good turnout
    "It is by will alone I set my mind in motion"

Bike
    Ducati 944ST, Ducati 400SS

Is the Ride on tonight?

Thread Information