Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Build a computer for us

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider

Build a computer for us

Budget: Under $400

We need: It all and a windows disc, and office would be handy. Must run internet and word processing but I dont want vista. How about it? An LCD screen would be nice as we are low on space on the desk too...

Is it possible?

Maarten
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Possible... yes...

Fast? No.
    Reliable? No
    Legal? No
    Latest SW? No

Trademe is your friend. Buy an oldun' and start from there.... you might get most of the way there depending on your first purchase
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Bandit 250(for sale), 636
    yes possible, but not at normal retail prices and no lcd or office
    1990 Suzuki Bandit GSF 250 for sale 39k kms $3,500

Bike
    Gerbil DNA 180
    OpenOffice should solve an office problem. It reads and writes MSOffice files and can be absolutely legally downloaded for free.
    Linux will allow you to slash $200 off the price of the rig too.
    "People are stupid ... almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true ... they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so all are easier to fool." -- Wizard's First Rule

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Kbuntu, Open Office, Firefox for software. Total cost $0

You won't manage new hardware and LCD for $400.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Ping these guys and see what they have. End of lines are good... ex rentals too. Cheap as chips, and they have tons in stock - more than the website lets on.

Ring 'em

I've bought a few bits and pieces off them. Reliable and good to deal with
    $2,000 cash if you find a buyer for my house, kumeuhouseforsale@straightshooters.co.nz for details

Bike
    Bandit 250(for sale), 636
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDownUnder View Post
    they sell our 2nd hand ex-lease laptops
    1990 Suzuki Bandit GSF 250 for sale 39k kms $3,500

Bike
    CBR1000RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    they sell our 2nd hand ex-lease laptops
    Hope they give you good cash for 'em.

I buy end of line stuff from them personally... every now and then. Cheap, new, just not as fast as the new ones.

Now Vista is here I expect a lot more <1GB RAM machines to suddenly appear...

Bike
    _
    you don't want much do you?
    "Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by Posh Tourer :P View Post
    Budget: Under $400

We need: It all and a windows disc, and office would be handy. Must run internet and word processing but I dont want vista. How about it? An LCD screen would be nice as we are low on space on the desk too...

Is it possible?

Maarten
    I'm not sure the LCD monitor would be possible. Most 17" LCD monitors are around the $300 mark. 15" ones aren't that much cheaper, and are in some cases bizarrely more expensive because of low demand, so there's not much stock out there.

Can't you just pirate Windows/Office like every other student, lol? Or just use linux like the smart, cultured and discerning BMW rider you are. Don't listen to Ixion, he talks stuff and nonsense -- get Ubuntu, not Kubuntu. KDE is a dog.

Bike
    A Cage
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDownUnder View Post
    Ping these guys and see what they have. End of lines are good... ex rentals too. Cheap as chips, and they have tons in stock - more than the website lets on.

Ring 'em

I've bought a few bits and pieces off them. Reliable and good to deal with
    I seriously do not like that company. YMMV

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider
    Had a look at those links and they dont seem to have anything right at the moment... Thanks for replying - I know I'm being ambitious, but $300 for an LCD screen???? Surely they get cheaper than that!!! I'll look around... How risky is it to buy LCD second hand?? And what are the issues?

Maarten
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike
    _
    there were some philips 15" LCDs for $180 on tardme the other day.
    "Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    . Don't listen to Ixion, he talks stuff and nonsense -- get Ubuntu, not Kubuntu. KDE is a dog.
    Well, Ubuntu is better. But Kubuntu is considered more "windows like" (and thus, by definition, closer to said dog), and therefore less frightening to those accustomed to Windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    84 VF1000FE
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Well, Ubuntu is better. But Kubuntu is considered more "windows like" (and thus, by definition, closer to said dog), and therefore less frightening to those accustomed to Windows.
    Even closer to Windows, and more reliable for digital content creation (aka audio, graphics and movies) is Studio 64 (http://www.64Studio.com). Uses Gnome by default, and Abiword, but like all Debian linux versions (which Ubuntu and Kubuntu also are) is very easy to add programs like Open Office.

Uses the Synaptic Package Manager, which is extremely easy to use, and configures and installs software automatically once you've set up the repositories (look online for Debian Mirrors).

Also, like most linux, is totally free.

Thread Information