Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Cross road rally, April 07

Bike
    2003 BMW R1150RT, 2002 BMW 1150 GS Adv

Southern Cross road rally, April 07

I thought I might do this ride..... Anyone who's done it before with helpful advice,suggestions,Routes etc all appreciated

Bike
    Sold
    Here you go: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=12630. This is the ride report which Jantar, Mangell6 and I wrote after the last one. The lunchtime check-ins make things interesting because it forces you to ride in the dark a fair bit and the south island can get a wee bit frosty at that time of the year

Most enjoyable ride I've ever done, although it didn't always seem like it at the time

I see you live in Raumati South. That's where I stayed with friends on the ride last year to get to Bluff - Rainbow Court.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Yes, there a few of us on it this year. Maybe this thread is a good place for us all to check in.

Go Team KB.
    Time to ride

Bike
    '15 VStrom 650, 1983 BMW R80G/S
    I see your on a BMW too - if the bike has about 60000km on it get those final drive bearings checked before you leave. Don't ask me how i know this
    Peoplehave done this ride on 250's and famously in 2003 or was it 05 an RG50.
    Because it is a bit expensive check out where your relatives/friends live and see if you can be accommodated enroute. as i don't have any rellies up that way the first night i will be looking to stay at Wellsford. Stayed there before and was on the road at 7.15 next morning and was an easy ride to CR and i was 2 up. Next night i will be looking to stay at Matamata/Tauranga - looking to be on the road by 7am. Anyway thats how i do it - in bed by 10.30pm, early to rise theory. others of course like to get as close as they can to a checkpoint and have a short ride in the morning.
    ride to your fuel tank - don't stop every 200km for fuel if you can do 350km.
    so before you do the SX fill up the bike and put a 5 litre container in the pannier and see how far you can really go on a tank. my warning light comes on after 350-360km at my usual "nana" cruising speed but i know it will do 420km before it starts coughing. Just gives you a bit of piece of mind.
    Hope this helps

nigglec

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    The 50cc rider was in the 03 event. In 05 there was a rider on a scooter, and he kept right up with everone.

On any endurance type ride, I like to be around 2 - 4 hours from the next checkpoint when I stop for the night. This policy allows you time to carry out any minor maintenance (if neccessary) in the morning before setting off. So my overnight stops for this year will be Houhora, Ohope, Wellington, Oamaru.

In general make your fuel stops short, but relax a bit longer at meal breaks. Most important - keep up your fluids.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Concours 14
    I am doing it but not this one ill have to wait another two years unfortunatly time just dosnt allow me to do it this year
    Have fun and ride safely

Bike
    2003 BMW R1150RT, 2002 BMW 1150 GS Adv
    Thanks for all the replies guys, I'll check the previous SX stories for more valuable "Experiences"

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    Excellent.
    Subscribed to this thread.
    Jantar those stops you mentioned are similar to what I was thinking (Whangarei, Home, Masterton, Oamaru/Dunedin depending on how I do that day).

Still trying to sway wifey to let me go - watch this space.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    GL1800
    I've entered and am really looking forward to it, while being very respectful of what is required!

Big Cheers to Blackbird and Mates who put a couple of awesome articles out on their 05 S/Cross - articles I have recently found and have been reading like a "Boys Own"!!

I'm putting some plans together now, but roughly speaking I want to stop in Kaitaia Monday night (better choice of motels and services), Whakatane Tues, I'm hoping to cross the strait Wed night, but haven't done the calcs for that yet, then have more time to traverse the South Is.

Any tips or best route recommendations gratefully received. I'm blessed with a good fuel range (500+/-kms) but am acutely aware traffic, wet weather etc do knock around your travel times.

Shafty
    Tauranga

Bike
    GL1800
    Calcs now tell me a Wednesday Ferry seems very hopeful!

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty View Post
    Calcs now tell me a Wednesday Ferry seems very hopeful!
    Would that be "very hopeful" of the quite achievable or Yeah right variety?
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    GL1800
    Possibly the TUI variety.

I did the 4 Points thru there and was looking at my notes, but I forgot the 1200 departure time momentarily.

But, hey, anything could happen on the day.

I'll book the Fairy for Thursday am, and if I have a lucky break, good weather etc, will cancel the bed at my Brothers!

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    At roughly 10 hours from East Cape to Wellington, I'll be booking the Thursday morning crossing.
    Time to ride

Bike
    '15 VStrom 650, 1983 BMW R80G/S
    I'm booked on 8am Thursday Bluebridge as 8.25am interislander is full as far as motorcycle bookings go

Bike
    Ducati StreetFighter
    I have pretty much convinced myself to do this ride too!
    Anyone from the Nelson area planning on going ?

Thread Information