Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taupo MotoTT trackday (9/3/07) crash report

Bike
    2010 KTM 300 exc

Taupo MotoTT trackday (9/3/07) crash report

Well I'm out of hospital now, my tpings all fcukd cause my right arm is broken but here are the details to date of my bin at Taupo Trackday.

The Crash: I came out of turn 5, the right hander. I was intending to pass the rider in front inside on the exit. I was on the power early while still cranked over trying to hold a tight line.... It gets a little bit fuzzy from here - the back stepped out big time and I had about 3 or 4k revs of spin. I think I caught it once then it highsided me. I have a slight memory of seeing the road grind my visor but thats about it. The next thing I remember I was on the ground beside my bike.

Damage to the bike (priorities here people)
    I didnt get a really good look at the time but today Chris Mitchell who took my bike back to his shop gave me a rundown.
    Tank - somehow it ground through and creased the metal and it was leaking fuel.
    Left side - bottom and rear fairings. In this case the frame sliders protected the frame rather than denting it as they can do sometimes.
    Screen
    Rear sets and pillion pegs.
    All in all, not to bad by all acccounts. I dont think it will be a right off unless suzuki charges more for a new tank than they have a right to and I have called Star insurance - I dont think there will be any problem in getting it fixed.

Damage to me.
    I got up directly after the bin and found out quick that that was a bad idea. I turned off the ignition on my bike and sat quickly back down.
    Big thanks to the quys who helped me out there on the track until the Ambulence arrived. I can't remember names unfortunately but they were all great. I wasn't in much pain at all, when the Ambulence guys arrived in the pit area they gave me some morphine anyway. My first time on opiates and I wasn't impressed - I didn't notice any effects! dissapointing. They told me they had called in the helicopter to take me to Rotorua hospital. When I got there the X-rays confirmed a broken right arm (the big bone near the wrist joint) and a fractured pelvis. They set the arm and plastered it which was the most painfull thing about the whole experience. The pelvis was left as it is, bed rest is all that fixes it. The physio still wants me to move around - apparently a litle bit of movement in the fractured bit promotes bone growth. It bloody hurts moving though. Apart from the fractures I got a few bruises and some gravel rash on my lower back.
    I only spent Friday and Saturday nights in the hospital then came home on Sunday.

My Gear:
    Held up really well. The only thing that didn't work was the zip between jacket and pants. It split which allowed me to get a little gravel rash on my back.
    Shoei Helmet - write off see attached pics.
    the rest of the gear is still at Chris Mitchell's but he gave me a rundown again:
    Revit Gloves - wore through the carbon knuckles but only failed in one small spot on my right index finger(just a scratch)
    boots - scuffed and the heel came off one of the boots but they can be repaired.
    Revit RS2 leathers: failed at the zip but all stitching survived. Scuff marks everywhere. A solid imprint from my back protector embedded in the back.
    Spidi Back Protector - cant see any damage but it had a solid impact so it probably should be replaced.
    I have started a claim on my contents insurance which should pay out.

It was a pretty nasty crash but it could have been far worse. Thanks again to all who helped, the guys at the track, Chris Mitchell, the ambulence staff and helicopter crew and Doctors and Nurses at Rotorua hospital.

If I can get some more pics I'll post them when I can,

Cheers,

Kel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	269.4 KB 
ID:	56038   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	274.9 KB 
ID:	56039   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	260.4 KB 
ID:	56040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	266.5 KB 
ID:	56041  

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    heard about you bin through the grape vine...sorry to hear bro...hope you heal up fast!!! and take it easy for a bit!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    GSX-R600 K6, 07 CBR600RR
    Glad to hear you're OK!! and hope all heals well and quickly.

I think the indicator/hazard light/passing light switchgear was totally destroyed too.. probably not cheap!

Bike
    Left Jandal
    Heal quick mate. Looking forward to seeing you buzz around again.

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    ouch dude!!!! rest easy and go 'ard on the meds while ya got them!! (don't forget to share)
    Bikes (while sometimes expensive) are easier to repair than us. Stay rested for now, then it won't be long until you're back in the saddle

Bike
    L1 GSXR 1000
    Bummer dude. Hope to catch ya at Taupo sometime soon. Take it easy.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Bugger mate, heal up well and thank god for insurance

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    2010 Yamaha XT250, 2008 BMW F650 Dakar
    Heard the news from Leong on Saturday at Pukekohe - soooo glad you are going to be ok.
    Exploring pastures anew...

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Glad to see you're up and about (well sort of),

Hopefully you'll get yourself and the bike sorted soon.. Did the doc's give ya an eta on when you'll be on two wheels again??
    Lump lingered last in line for brains,
    And the ones she got were sort of rotten and insane...

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    heal fast dude!

heres a pic of you straight after it happened, you stood up then fell down apparently
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mtt090307 041.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	183.3 KB 
ID:	56044  

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    2010 KTM 300 exc
    In reality I think it may be a couple of months. The arm takes 6 weeks till the cast comes off then another few weeks while it is pretty weak. The pelvis takes 3 weeks or so until I can walk around comfortably with just a cane.
    I dont know yet but I may have shifted the bones out of wack overdoing it on the crutches yesterday...oops. Find out tomorrow when I get a new fiberglass cast. So I think a couple of months till I'm on the road but at least three maybe more until the next trackday! I'm thinking of saving up during that time for a trackbike....dont wont to totally screw up my insurance record.

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    ask star if you can buy the wreck for a track bike

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    2005 Yamaha R1
    You were looking pretty quick on the track until the mishap. Most unfortunate about the broken hand and fractured pelvis, but I saw the state of the helmut and I think injuries could have been a lot worse. All the best with your recovery mate.

Bike
    Glad you're ok man! I was on the viewing deck when it happened and I thought it was a minor off as you stood up and walk pretty soon after.

Take it easy!
    in order to appreciate a good steak, you should eat the occasional greasy hamburger.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Hadn't heard about this before. A mixture of good and bad luck for you, eh? Heal well.
    That helmet damage is a familiar sight - who'd wear an open face?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Thread Information