View Poll Results: Is the FXR the best choice for me?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, go for it!

14 25.00%
  • Nah, it is too gutless/stupid

9 16.07%
  • Mabye, try it out first

25 44.64%
  • Shut up!

8 14.29%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey all, wondering what first bike to get...

Bike
    BICYCLE
    I had a 1990 CBR250R. About 4 years ago it was going for $4,000
    but I ended up paying $3,000 for it. It took me about 4 months
    to find one at the time! Then 2 years later I sold it for $3000
    (cos the CBR's seemed few and far between) - I think they are
    popular cos of the whole 250cc learner licence thing.

Protective gear - A new helmet, good boots, good gloves,good
    bike pants & jacket, knee and elbow protectors (very important).

An accident at 50km's per hour can destroy gear- my advice is leather

spend 3,000 to 3,500 on the bike and 1,500 to 2,000 on the gear. (if you have 5,000 to spend)

Bike
    None
    Get some good gear as it has been said before, crashed my FXR on Friday
    Good thing I had a glooves on, though my knees still hurt.

Again the Fixxer panel is off and 60kph is more like 50.
    If you've been riding bikes for a while, I guess you should grab a CBR250, you might like it better.

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    Arse Bandit
    You say that the speedo is off, and I have heard that before, so how do I recalibrate it? Can bike stores do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    if you have a face afterwards well... that depends how you act...

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider
    Buy the bike that is the best deal... There will be heaps to learn on any bike you buy. As long as it isnt uncomfortable, you will be fine.

A couple of points.

Firstly, if you are still growing, spending heaps on great gear might not be good if you are just gonna grow out of it anyway, but DEFINITELY dont skimp. I would buy a jacket, some over-trousers, because jeans grip tarseal, and rip, and gloves and *new* helmet. Helmet/gloves you can probably afford to get good ones, I used the helmet I had since I was 7 up until the start of this year (age 20), because it was a little big to start with, and the padding compressed over time. Plus, heads dont grow much...

Gear you can keep through to your next bike etc etc. Get a flash new 250, and you'll just sell it after two years. The way I looked at my learners/restricted period was that it wasnt worth wanting/buying something really good, as it was just going to be sold soonish anyway. Get something that you will be ok with, but dont look to satisy all your urges for speed on a 250, it'll just be expensive, money better spent on a 400 or 600 when you have a full - the 250 prices are inflated due to the licence regulations

Secondly, if you get a 150 or 125, you may want to upgrade before you get your full. If you get a 250 straight off, you are better placed to ride it till you get your full (and afterwards if you are so inclined). Yes a 150/125 will be great for 80kmh, some will struggle on long trips at 110 though. Having said that, the most fun I've had on a bike was on the CB125T, at about 40-60kmh (where it had the most/best power) - it cruised at 110 at 10,000rpm happily, but thats right up in the high revs, and I felt guilty taking it as far as Drury on the Mway....
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by madcat_
    You say that the speedo is off, and I have heard that before, so how do I recalibrate it? Can bike stores do it?
    Oh and dont bother recalibrating. All speedos, car and bike are set about 10% low on average, to ensure that none of them read over actual speed - legal implications etc. When I went past one of those mobile speed boards on the beemer, I was reading 122 when it said 112.

It is a fact I've been thankful for over the past week as I've failed to see *TWO* camrys with boots open and speed cameras in operation - reading 60-61kmh and no flash
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    The RG150 is a pretty good choice,Draco started on one and loved it(rode it home from the shop having never ridden a bike before,and kept it for about 18 months before moving up,and they can still put up a good pace in the right (wrong?) hands(eh twosmoker...).The early '98 one's are stronger than the '00 on models though.....
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Bike
    WEAPON
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATH_INC.
    The RG150 is a pretty good choice,Draco started on one and loved it(rode it home from the shop having never ridden a bike before,and kept it for about 18 months before moving up,and they can still put up a good pace in the right (wrong?) hands(eh twosmoker...).The early '98 one's are stronger than the '00 on models though.....
    Yeah you can't go wrong with the RG150's pleanty of them around and a good price, with heaps of potential in them if you want to go racing or just commute round town, you can pick good ones up for as low as $1200 and on the plus side you're buying a 98 onwards bike not spending just as much and ending up with a 1990 sports 250cc, heaps of guys have started out on RG's it's a bike i don't think you'd get too bored of. if you can buy private you'll save shitloads by doing so, i'm sure if you asked around here on the forums someone in the know would be more than happy to go with you and check out the bike for you if you had doubts on it when going private.
    Even if you're just putting around town buy good gear for sure, it only takes some munter in a cage to run a red light and flatten you, keep sharp. Don't mean to scare you mate but that's the sad truth, even more so in auckland!

And welcome to KB hope you get a bike soon and get into it.
    GSXR wiping the shit that is that Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki off the road since '85'

All you Gixxer riders check it out http://www.gixxerplanet.com/home/ind...referrerid=235
    For all your riding saftey gear needs and Remus Mufflers check out www.quasimoto.co.nz
    Anything Suzuki! Rock into Colemans and check it out www.colemans-suzuki.co.nz

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Thanks for the welcome, and yeah, Che is the man!
    Seen the movie "The Motorcycle Diaries"?
    If it comes around on general release - see it. Bikes and Che in the same movie!
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by SPman
    Seen the movie "The Motorcycle Diaries"?
    If it comes around on general release - see it. Bikes and Che in the same movie!
    I have... not a bad movie all in all I was suprised at just how much punishment the ol' biek could take.... none of those pretentious fairings or fake ram air on that bike

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by loosebruce
    Yeah you can't go wrong with the RG150's
    They are two-strokes, so have shorter engine life than a 4-stroke. Hence it is definitely worth buying a newer one....

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Suppose I should chuck my $0.02 in, since y'all mentioned FXRs. Actually, searching the forum will turn up all my previous comments on my bike, so I don't need to rehash it. Suffice to say it's as reliable and economical as you could want, about as fast as a GN250 but handles better, and will frustrate the snot out of you if you try to keep up with RGs or four-cylinder 250s. And if you buy one that still has the stock tyres on, run don't walk to the nearest tyre shop and put some decent rubber on it (Pirelli MT75s for around-town, Bridgestone BT39SSs if you're going to push it).
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    2002 Suzuki FXR150
    I just started riding a couple of months ago and bought a FXR150 for my first bike.

Your sort of riding sounds like what I do... To and from uni every day, 50 kmh speed limit the whole way. :sly:

The FXR seems pretty good for that so far but there are times when I did wish it had a wee bit more oomph. Had I the amount of dosh you do I would probably have got something a bit bigger. I've never ridden one but I've always thought those naked 250 twins look like they'd be a pretty good choice. I'm sure someone else here might have some more useful comments on them. Really good FXR's seem to be asking $2500 - $3000. I got mine for $1850 but it's a wee bit rough-looking round the edges.

I have taken it on the motoraway a few times and while, as everyone will tell you, the speedo's a bit optimistic, it seems to be able to double the Learner's limit without too much drama, although the engine is spinning pretty quick and making a shitload of noise

Whatever you get, I'm sure you'll enjoy it anyway.

Bike
    2003, H.D. 1200XLH
    Mad cat,

Welcome to the mad world of 2 wheels.
    Everything wkd one said is true, read and be advised.
    Have you done much fooling around on your mates bikes? That would have been a help. The VTR 250 is a pretty cool looking machine, :cool2: but I like V twins anyway, and I've taken out a GSX 250 for a spin. Neighbours 18 year old daughter reckoned it was just so cool. (Hint hint)
    The GSX seemed a pretty easy bike to ride but I guess it depends how big and strong you are. With all the plastic around it doesn't take all that much to get slightly off balance, especially when going slow. (Note u turn pointed out previously somewhere) If you're big enough, not a prob. If your not. ....stick with the 150.
    My son has been mucking around in the dirt for a few years and has gone through the XL 125, XT 250 and now rides an RM 125. He played too rough for the XT. I would be more than happy to let him loose on the GSX 250 as long as he remembers to turn his head before turning the bike.(Road sense) Very important point young bikers, know where you are going, BEFORE you go. Turn now, look later, will be very detrimental to your health.
    Sit on / ride on as many as you can before making up your mind. Sit on the seat with your feet on the ground and see how far you can lean it before it gets too much and you drop it. Now think about that happening out on the street somewhere. Get the picture?? Stick with something you can handle, but remember, that people seem to outgrow smaller engines faster.
    Hope that helps.
    Happy trails :spudwave:

Bike
    2001 Suzuki GSF250V
    Thanks for the welcome, and yeah, Che is the man!
    I don't really plan to do any major open-road riding, just mainly zooming around town and stuff, so I don't think I will need a really high capacity bike.
    About clothing;
    What is the deal with 'armour'? Do I need it? Even at my sub-70km/h speeds? And how much would I expect to pay to get fully kitted out?

Thanks once again guys (and galls)
    Armour is very handy - especially around town, where you may hit knees or elbows into a car. Leather or cordura will do nothing for impact injuries, and armour can be the difference between a bruised elbow and a broken one.
    Look, it's an itsy bitsy Bandit.

Bike
    2002 Suzuki FXR150
    I see you have FXR150 listed as your main/favourite bike... Does this mean you've bought one??

Thread Information