View Poll Results: Is the FXR the best choice for me?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah, go for it!

14 25.00%
  • Nah, it is too gutless/stupid

9 16.07%
  • Mabye, try it out first

25 44.64%
  • Shut up!

8 14.29%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey all, wondering what first bike to get...

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Posh Tourer :P
    The "Hurricane" is a late 80s/early 90s FZR250 I think?
    Nah, Hurricanes were Honda's. CBR250R's IIRC. They had that Ducati Paso fully enclosed fairing thing going on.

See the attached photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cbr250r.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	2928  
    Last edited by riffer; 9th August 2004 at 20:07. Reason: damn fool forgot to attach the photo!
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    There was also a CBR1000F Hurricane
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    2007 Suzuki GSX-R600
    Quote Originally Posted by madcat_
    any advice on a first bike would be very much apprecciated.
    VTR250... simple as that!

Bike
    Bikeless (in the eyes of the law)
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Smoker
    The FXR has 20hp (i think) where the RG has 32 hp, SpankMe has had an FXR upto 152kmh, ive had my RG upto 195kmh with a 110/90 rear tyre and 180 with a 100/80 tyre just to give you an indication of the difference of performance...
    That's not fair!!! My TV200 has 35hp and my Dad topped out at 140 at manfield . The bike was on stock gearing at the time, mind, which has been seen to. Two strokes are crazy fun to ride and highly addictive (to certain people anyway). If you do choose to get one, stay away from the higher powered 250s (as in the likes of the TZR250R).

$50 was all that was needed to build me a reasonable learner bike. But as you can see I moved on pretty dam quickly, and as you've got a decent amount of (hard earned, it sounds like) dosh you can ignore that. Good thing you're not the only one who rides to your school. I'm the only one who does at my school and I'm constantly being annoyed. "Sup G is dat your motabike??" "Hey do you ride a motorbike? (whilst walking past, with helmet in hand)"

Hey look out for me riding a tiny little RG50 if you plan to venture into the weird and wonderful land of lower hutt in the next few months. Come to think of it, an RG50 would be perfect if you could find one.
    Stalked by a yellow piece of plastic

Bike
    Arse Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkwheeler
    That's not fair!!! My TV200 has 35hp and my Dad topped out at 140 at manfield . The bike was on stock gearing at the time, mind, which has been seen to. Two strokes are crazy fun to ride and highly addictive (to certain people anyway). If you do choose to get one, stay away from the higher powered 250s (as in the likes of the TZR250R).

$50 was all that was needed to build me a reasonable learner bike. But as you can see I moved on pretty dam quickly, and as you've got a decent amount of (hard earned, it sounds like) dosh you can ignore that. Good thing you're not the only one who rides to your school. I'm the only one who does at my school and I'm constantly being annoyed. "Sup G is dat your motabike??" "Hey do you ride a motorbike? (whilst walking past, with helmet in hand)"

Hey look out for me riding a tiny little RG50 if you plan to venture into the weird and wonderful land of lower hutt in the next few months. Come to think of it, an RG50 would be perfect if you could find one.
    NO!

No RG50 for me! I want my Fixxer!

I want to wheelie! And stoppie! And make the homie/white trash kids fear me.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkwheeler
    "Sup G is dat your motabike??"
    As said by short freckly white kids with ginger hair, no doubt...
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Bikeless (in the eyes of the law)
    NO!

No RG50 for me! I want my Fixxer!

I want to wheelie! And stoppie! And make the homie/white trash kids fear me.
    Look what you've done you irresponsible bastards. Sounds like you're convinced FXR wise (no kidding???). Take off the muffler and all the bogans/homie g's/white trash at school will definitely be impressed. It's not the size of the bike, it's how loud it is that matters with us kids.

Quote Originally Posted by jrandom
    As said by short freckly white kids with ginger hair, no doubt...
    Ah they're the ones who stare at you and grunt.
    Stalked by a yellow piece of plastic

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Smoker
    There was also a CBR1000F Hurricane
    In 1987 Honda released the CBR "Hurricane" in 250, 400, 600, 750, and 1000cc.

Excerpt from http://powersports.honda.com
    "Some motorcycles raise the bar. Others rewrite the rules. In the 1987 sportbike game, Honda's CBR600F, better known as the 600 Hurricane, was clearly one of the latter.

The original 600 Hurricane, of course, set the tone by rewriting every rule of the sportbike game. In a single, class-defining stroke, Honda unleashed the lightest, quickest, most powerful and most versatile middleweight the world had ever seen. Moreover, the perfectly balanced Hurricane answered the needs of street riders as ably as those of racers."

Introduced along with its big brother the CBR1000F, Honda's 600 Hurricane was a revolution. The reason was clearly visible in the Hurricane's aerodynamic, full-coverage bodywork. Less visible was the technological paradigm shift that blew away every other middleweight sportbike on earth and forever changed the way sportbikes were designed and built.

Bike
    2002 Suzuki FXR150
    A lot of people mention that fairings can be a worry if you drop your bike while learning.

From what I've seen at uni which must have the highest concentration of FXR's in the country, the fairings on them seem to be pretty resilient. There are heaps which have obviously been dropped, mine included, and most seem to be just scratched. In comparison the CBR's and other bikes with bigger fairings have big holes and cracks.

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    That is because when you crash a zxr/cbr/tzr/rgv(250), you do it right. Also the larger fairings means there are weaker spots near the middle. Also the bikes weigh more so more pressure it put on the fairing in an off. And lastley most fxr you see with minor scratches have been dropped at very low speeds(while learning) i am sure you can ask some KB's out there that if they were binned at a higher speed the fairings would be just as rooted.

As for a new bike hmmmm fxr are of but a vt250 is solid as. Crashed mine twice (once at +-50-60 and the other at +-25 round a corner) and it stood up to it pretty well. New mirrors cost only $25 for aftermarket ones and i think after the second incident i decided to replace one fairing $75(cheaper than reparing at $100) and sprayed the whole bike a better colour for around $200. Also has a bit of grunt if used right and with the different can i put on it, it sounded pretty mean.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Scratched fairings look cooler.

If you don't believe me, check out my profile.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    BTW that's the result of an 80km/hr lowside on Wellington Motorway through rush traffic.

after I replaced everything else obviously (ie forks, indicators, mirrors, windscreen, etc)

Bike
    Arse Bandit
    Quote Originally Posted by celticno6
    Scratched fairings look better
    I'd have to diagree with you this time... You said before that if I need setting up my bike I could call in to your place eh? If so, that would be much appreciated.

Oh, and how much did all that damage cost to fix?
    Last edited by SPORK; 10th August 2004 at 16:19. Reason: whoos
    Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    if you have a face afterwards well... that depends how you act...

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Oh, and how much did all that damage cost to fix?
    It didn't. That's a *post*-fix photo.

Lovely forks, that bike, innit. Can't get a decent pair of forks like that these days. I could just sit and look at them forks for hours, I could.

(sits and looks)
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    Arse Bandit
    Sorry, I was asking celticno6 about his damage. Bad quoting on my part I guess. But how expensive are the FXR's to fix?

Thread Information