Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first set up - advice wanted

Bike
    1990 ZXR250

My first set up - advice wanted

I'm a student and a first time rider with roughly $600-$800 to spend on gear and was wondering if itd best to spend that on a full set up or rather look at slightly better quality stuff and get jacket/helmet/gloves for now and then look at pants/boots in a coupla months time.

Is there a 'safe' amount to spend on a helmet or is it just a matter of finding one that fits well? I've been looking around and I can't seem to find a good fit, medium sizes put a bit of pressure on my cheeks and there's a tiny bit of movement with large sizes

Jacket, Im leaning towards cordura for practicality and weatherproof reasons. Will invest in leathers at a later stage.

Gloves, anything with a hardened knuckle protector seems to be ok?

Im looking for any advice/recommendations people have. I've checked out the bike shops on Manchester street and Leather Direct, is there anywhere I'm missing in chch? I don't suppose there's anywhere that stocks Quasimoto stuff?

I'd be very keen to hear from Quasi too - do you have any end of line stuff at the moment? I sent you an email but I haven't heard back.

Bike
    2005 Honda CBR600RR
    My first gear consisted of;

Helmet HJC CL-14 ~$150
    Jacket Spool Cordura ~$150
    Pants Mobig Cordura ~$150
    Boots Gaerne ~$200
    Gloves Quasi ~$50

All up, fully protected for around $700. Personally, I think boots and pants are pretty important.

The stuff is not built to last an eternity but it certainly was fine for getting started. I have subsequently bought some summer gloves, a leather jacket and a new helmet.
    Sleep is for the weak.

Bike
    Now bikeless :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    I'm a student and a first time rider with roughly $600-$800 to spend on gear and was wondering if itd best to spend that on a full set up or rather look at slightly better quality stuff and get jacket/helmet/gloves for now and then look at pants/boots in a coupla months time.

Is there a 'safe' amount to spend on a helmet or is it just a matter of finding one that fits well? I've been looking around and I can't seem to find a good fit, medium sizes put a bit of pressure on my cheeks and there's a tiny bit of movement with large sizes

Jacket, Im leaning towards cordura for practicality and weatherproof reasons. Will invest in leathers at a later stage.

Im looking for any advice/recommendations people have. I've checked out the bike shops on Manchester street and Leather Direct, is there anywhere I'm missing in chch? I don't suppose there's anywhere that stocks Quasimoto stuff?

I'd be very keen to hear from Quasi too - do you have any end of line stuff at the moment? I sent you an email but I haven't heard back.
    I set up with good second hand leatherware from Trade Me but be prepared to take your time waiting for the right price, and perhaps reselling the bargains that don't end up fitting.

Helmet and boots I preferred to try on before buying so did the local shop thing but if you're cheeky you could use the locals as a trial fitting to ascertain brand/size before buying online. The helmet's got to fit and be comfortable so fitting is essential, including a trial ride to check out noise if that's important to you.

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

All NEW helmets that are the correct size should have that 'squeezed cheek' look. As you wear the helmet in.... the inside of the helmet will mold to your head.

Helmets can start from $150 upwards.
    Gloves from $40 upwards
    Boots from about $50 (warehouse boots) to whatever price they are in bike shops.
    Jacket from $250 upwards
    Pants from $250 upwards.

Go to a few bike shops and try them on and see what suits you best.
    Then check out Trade Me for decent second hand gear.

TonyB also sells leather stuff down Chch way... (cant remember his business user name)

Quasimoto - is based in Hamilton but will courier anywhere in NZ.

Bike
    WR250R
    When I was getting myself set up about a year ago I got a teknic sequoia jacket (cordura) for $300 (it's the chicky one, I assume they have an equivalent men's jacket), RJays voyager(?) trousers (again, cordura) for $125 and a KBC TK8 helmet for about $250-ish. And some RJays gloves, but I'm not sure I'd recommend them.
    Remember that all helmets have to pass the same safety standards, so a cheap helmet isn't necessarily going to be any less safe than an expensive helmet.
    From memory the jacket was one of the cheaper ones I looked at. It's got a thermal liner, enormous vents for comfortable summer riding, CE-approved armour in the arms and shoulders, and a foam back protector.
    The trousers have a removable thermal liner, and foam 'armour' in the lower legs and hips. I've since bought some hard knee armour for $40.

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton / 81 Guzzi MKIII
    TonyB Business is MotoEquip
    http://www.motoequip.co.nz/
    Another local KB'er you should check out is Just Motorcycles at 165 Bowhill rd, Brighton. They have some good affordable gear & bikes.
    Buy your helmet new, make sure it fits well, is comfortable & is the best that you can afford.
    Shop around & try for comfort & buy the best quality that you can afford. Good fitting boots that support your ankles is important.
    Check out second hand pants & jackets, but some new stuff is very well priced now.

Depending on your size, I have some cordura gear I should sell as it doesn't fit well. Its small mens.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    I got a good first helmet from ffm - its actually a kiwi factory, and you can buy from the factory shop in Waihi. Cost about $100 - but it was good quality.
    Jacket - Motoline job from Motomail (about $150)
    Gloves cost me about $50, cant remember from where - but the trick when you are a learner is to get something durable that doesnt have fancy shiny stuff on it. Tecknic Touring Gloves with the wiper blade are ideal. No carbon crap as your only gonna scratch it as you learn how to fall.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by SDU View Post
    T
    Buy your helmet new, make sure it fits well, is comfortable & is the best that you can afford.
    Shop around & try for comfort & buy the best quality that you can afford. Good fitting boots that support your ankles is important.
    Check out second hand pants & jackets, but some new stuff is very well priced now.
    Good advice this is, especially the helmet bit. Never ever buy a second hand helmet.

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not paying attention!"
    "There is no limit to dumb."

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    Sold it, hubby's ducati & scooter
    It's a shame you're not up in Auckland, Motomail have an outlet shop which is a good place to go if you need gear and don't have a huge budget.

Definitely spend your money on a helmet, gloves, boots and decent jacket. I think in the long run and for the event of a crash leathers the best, but might be out of your current price range unless you can get some 2nd hand.

Always have a new lid that fits you well. Trousers are also essential (having f*cked knees' before you're 90 isn't fun) - see if you can squeeze the budget to buy a basic pair, even if you get help from family (I'm sure they'd rather you were protected than pavement putty).

If you're looking for leather stuff or later on want to upgrade - thoughtly recommend Quasimoto (Hamilton based - he's on the web and couriers throughout NZ). I believe Quasi can custom make if you have trouble with standard jackets (everyones built differently!).

Hope you get good gear for reasonable dosh! Happy shopping

Bike
    1990 ZXR250
    Cheers everyone for such speedy advice, its all very helpful. It looks like a full set up is possible within my budget so I'll keep looking around.

@crashe - I'll go have another look at helmets with the squashed cheek thing in mind.

@SDU - Im 6ft 80kgs so I'm not sure if small would work (though I do have quite a narrow waist ~85cm) Cheers though.

@everone else - cheers advice noted!

I sit my basic handling skills next thursday and have been looking at bikes for the last month. Im getting pretty close to buying now and its all very exciting. I still have a bit of time so I guess its just a matter of trying as much stuff as possible.

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

Cheers everyone for such speedy advice, its all very helpful. It looks like a full set up is possible within my budget so I'll keep looking around.

@crashe - I'll go have another look at helmets with the squashed cheek thing in mind.

Yeah the helmet must be a tight fit......
    so that if you shake your head side to side or up and down it will NOT move.

If you can move your head inside the helmet....... then it is too loose.

After wearing a tight fitted helmet..... as it molds to your head the foam inside shrinks a bit.... after a few months..... but it still will be a tight fit.

Only buy a BRAND new helmet ......

Ask the salespeople in the bike shops, on the how to put on and remove your helmet.... and get them to make sure that it fits you correctly.

Different brands dont neccessarily fit every head out there as we all have a different shape head to another person.

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton / 81 Guzzi MKIII
    @SDU - Im 6ft 80kgs so I'm not sure if small would work (though I do have quite a narrow waist ~85cm) Cheers though.
    The gear would be a bit drafty on you, I'm a hobbit.

I sit my basic handling skills next thursday and have been looking at bikes for the last month. Im getting pretty close to buying now and its all very exciting. I still have a bit of time so I guess its just a matter of trying as much stuff as possible.
    Sweet! Good luck with your test, it'll be a breeze.

Bike
    2001 GSX1300R
    Blog Entries

Times have changed...

When I was a student I could not afford a bike let alone gear.Steelcaps and overalls was what we used to get away with.As a working man today I would not spend that kind of money.
    Keep the guns oiled and the temple clean
    Shit,snort and blaspheme

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I've been looking around and I can't seem to find a good fit, medium sizes put a bit of pressure on my cheeks and there's a tiny bit of movement with large sizes
    There must be no movement... ain't going to protect your brain like that. Pads will also squash a bit, so you want a pretty tight fit, then it loosens up. That said, put the helmet on, leave it on for 10 minutes. Move it around on your head. It should sit snugly, not move around much, but importantly, have no hard bits against your head, or pressure points.

You will be able to tell this, if you have a big red mark on your forehead, or something like that. I'm 6'3, 100kg, and wear a medium... I thought it fit fine when bought (common newbie mistake), now its a bit loose. If I can squeeze my head into a xs comfortably, I will, otherwise it will have to be small...

Get the salesperson to give your helmet a tug and a shake when its on, to see if it moves around much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1990 ZXR250
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchilin View Post
    When I was a student I could not afford a bike let alone gear.Steelcaps and overalls was what we used to get away with.As a working man today I would not spend that kind of money.
    10 weeks of a summer engineering placement has left my account shiny for the moment, but yeah when the moneys gone its gone. Just started brewing today, that'll help but safety gear is not where I wanna compromise.

Have been checking out gear after all the sage like advice. Medium everything seems to be a much better fit. Helmet is snug, jacket and pants have armour in all the right places and it doesnt move.

Now all I need is a bike... Does anyone have a contact number for Monsterbishi - Im meant to be checking out his listed bike but he hasn't replied for about a week.

Thread Information