Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wellington-Lower Hutt

Bike
    1999 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
    I have not long moved out here from the UK and find living in whitby very nice it all depends what you want do you want night life etc. if so Whitby is not the place for you (its very quite)
    If there is anything you would like to know about my move ask away
    I'm as free as a Bird, and this Bird you cannot change!!!

Bike
    Jackie Black
    Have you been to NZ/Wellington before?

Check out schools in likely areas - you don't always get to choose as mostly it's based on where you live as to what schools your kids can go to.

www.trademe.co.nz lists both properties for sale and rentals.

Don't believe everything real estate agents have to say.

Oh and don't underestimate the traffic situation here...

Good luck!
    Some days you are the bug , some days you are the windshield

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    I have not long moved out here from the UK and find living in whitby very nice it all depends what you want do you want night life etc. if so Whitby is not the place for you (its very quite)
    Plenty of night life at my place ....

Izzy the goat gets a bit frisky sometimes, there a Morepork lives in the gully and I found a whistling frog in the hallway last week (cute little critter). Once the nights get cold the mice will start trying to colonise the house and i really need to do something about the possums... heaps of nightlife up our way..

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    i am looking for a flat mate in newlands.. 15min from lower hutt ( so i recon)

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    2011 yz450f
    whats a bogan?
    Blindspott are back as Blacklist check them out
    www.blacklistmusicnz.co.nz

Bike
    Triumph Sprint ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    whats a bogan?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogan

Bike
    XJR1220
    whats a bogan?
    Ha Ha. If you don't know you probably are one!

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    Sorry, Whitby is full.

I know of 3 ex-pome bikers who live in this area
    http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&om=1...07372,0.014591

Seriously, its a really good area to live. commuting is easy, even in to wellington.

Which ever way you look at it most places in NZ are tame compared to the UK.
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    BLANK
    Nothing wrong with Timberlea in Upper Hutt, has a good mix of people and a good community, ive lived here for last 17yrs and have had no problems, was even the chosen location for this tv show so cant be all bad.http://mitre10dreamhome.co.nz/2005/week9/
    Did i mention the Rimutaka hill Road is on our back doorstep?

Like Riffer i ride to welly each day and also have 3 boys(10, 6 and 5) whom could help acclimatise your kiddies to Upper Hutt and NZ.

Bike
    keyboard jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafe View Post

In Lower Hutt, you're doing fine by obtaining a home in any of the following suburbs:

Woburn, Waterloo, Epuni, Belmont, Fairfield, Alicetown, Normandale, Mangauraki, Boulcott.

A very nice location to live in would be Eastbourne/Days Bay. (Coastal Location, 10 mins ride from the Hutt). Definately worth a look since you get good currency conversion. Great schooling too. Ferry service to Wellington city also and good Bus runs available.

For House hunting use try these sites:

www.open2view.com
    &
    www.trademe.co.nz

The open2view site will allow you venture offtrack into all the local real estate websites.
    If you see any homes you like, come back to us and we'll give you more info on the location.
    Also, The local Hutt council provides a good info source on individual houses.
    Use this to further gain details regarding rates, area, zones etc for those specific houses.

http://gis.huttcity.govt.nz/pes/pres...ass/search.asp
    parents palce in petone just sold for 3/4 million...... great place. better than half that you listed.
    yes im biased. i lived there for 20 years, but the numbers dont lie.

Bike
    2016 Honda Africa Twin DCT
    Thanks lads and lasses, lost of good info we have been scouring the internet looking at rentals and seen some nice houses out there, i am just waiting to hear back about next stage of the interview process which should be a trip over for me and the wife for a meet and greet and get a look at Wellington, Lower Hutt and Surrounds. At least we feel like we are beginning to get a feel for the different suburbs, and an idea of the school system. KB's a good site and i am pleased that zadok pointed in the direction of the site.

Oh and the meet and greet will be our first visit to NZ.

Cheers

Andy

Bike
    2007 ZX-14
    Another vote for Upper Hutt! easy access to the Hutt for all the amenities and only 30 mins to the CBD by bike - plenty of family friendly suburbs with good kindys/schools like Silverstream/Heretaunga/Riverstone/Totara Park etc etc.

We've been here a year and a half and have 3 kids (16, 6 & 4), more than happy to help if I can!

Matt
    Better to keep quiet and have people think you're stupid than open your mouth and prove it!

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Another vote for Upper Hutt! easy access to the Hutt for all the amenities and only 30 mins to the CBD by bike - plenty of family friendly suburbs with good kindys/schools like Silverstream/Heretaunga/Riverstone/Totara Park etc etc.

We've been here a year and a half and have 3 kids (16, 6 & 4), more than happy to help if I can!

Matt
    Yay! What he said. My Mrs, (Bex on KB) used to teach "the difficult ones" in Cumbria, Corby and Coventry before we came here three years ago. She is now a resource teacher for learning and behaviour in the Wellington area. She's based in Wanuiomata but has extensive knowledge and experience of schools in both Lower and Upper Hutt. (PM me if you'd like further advice)

Just bear in mind that everyone is going to chip in with their tuppenyworth about how marvellous one particular area is and how crappy another is.
    Living in Riverstone as we do, we are constantly bombarded by snobbery (usually from Wellingtonians in so called "trendy" locations - like Newtown mentioned earlier) who question "how on earth can you live in the Hutt?"

Answer: Quite comfortably and peacefully thank you.

Good luck in your search. By the way, did you actually get the job?

"...You're gonna have to face it, your dick needs a rub" Robert Palmer "Addicted to Love"

Bike
    Suzuki GSXR1100 96
    Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
    Nought wrong with bogans. Don't listen to the Welly bunch - they're all snobs.

I have four kids - a daughter (9), and three sons (7,6 and 2).

Let me know when you're arriving. Our kids can help yours acclimatise...
    Hey Riffer got any spare grease I need to slick back my Mullet!!!
    I must admit I took my Kids to the speedway last saturday night and I could feel the Bogan Raging within!!!!
    NEVER LET THE TRUTH GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD STORY!

Bike
    Suzuki GSXR1100 96
    whats a bogan?
    Between 5'6 and 6'6 tall wears black jeans with a heavy leather belt (ACDC Buckle is standard issue), heavy metal tshirts(Metallica is most commonly worn)and black woolen or polyester jerseys,footwear is usually steel capped boots or Doc Martins anything that will aid in ankle support when kicking peoples heads in.
    Hairstyle can range from the common 'Skinhead' to the more advanced Mullet or fully grown headbanger hairstyles ie.David Coverdale.
    You will usually find the common species of the Bogan frequenting bars,Heavy metal concerts and speedway events (Temarua)etc.
    Religion wise they pray to the gods of metal: Bon Scott, Jimi Hendrix,Dimebag Darryl need I say more!
    Their vehicle of choice is usually a FORD or HOLDEN and the argument still continues as to which vehicle is the best, this paved the way for a bogan/petrolhead festival commonly known as the V8 Supercars! The battle rages on! The common greeting of the Bogan is a monotonal Grunt followed by the offering of a 'can of piss' usually a cheap brand as the motto of the bogan is quantity not quality. When one is presented with a can of piss you must skull it quickly or you will be labelled as a Poof this is the highest insult to any bogan as all bogans suffer from extreme homophobia!
    Bogans are prolific breeders and choose their Partners wisely. The female of the species is commonly known as a SHEILA or MISSUS and sometimes THAT BITCH!They are easily recognised by their boofed up hair overuse of makeup tight jeans and leather boots(usually below the knee).These SHEILAS can be very aggressive and protective of their males!Another common trait of the Bogan missus is to talk in a whiney tone using words like CHOOOIIICCEE when excited! The Bogan predominantly comes from the blue collar worker family and usually finds employment as a mechanic, sheetmetal worker, boilermaker, Labourer orTruck driver. They tend to hunt in packs and commonly reside in flats usually with a wrecked car outside. Favourite drink is Bourbon and cheap beer and they dont use aftershave or deodorant.

I hope this has better informed you of our freind the BOGAN.
    NEVER LET THE TRUTH GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD STORY!

Thread Information