Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    Out of the box Cisco VPN client 4.6.00.0045 just doesn't work on Vista, or even with the windows firewall turned off.

Activesync is now replaced by Mobile Device Centre in beta and that doesn't work for some PDA's that suggest it's a driver problem. My PDA works, my MD's doesn't on the same hardware base.

If you add in Office 2007, how do you get all your clients/partners/customers to install the viewers so they can read your XML based docs/spreadsheets etc?
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    sold it :(
    Quote Originally Posted by John Banks View Post
    Actually, I very recently got a MacBook. The price was very similar (if not cheaper) to PC notebooks with the same hardware. As for Vista, I'll do a brief rundown of points I don't like about it:

1. User Access Control. The most annoying and obtrusive security system ever designed.
    2. They completely rewrote the sound system. This means that when my frame rate drops in a game, the sound starts to stutter.
    3. I have an AMD 64 3000+ that runs at 2000MHz. For some reason, even though Vista SAYS it is 2000MHz, it is only running at 800MHz. Probably driver issues. Again.
    4. Windows Activation: Pirates now have a key generator that will generate random keys so they can activate Vista. This means that there's a chance that a key you buy from the store will already be activated. In fact, I already know someone who has had this problem. He called up Microsoft, and they accused him of piracy. Now he has a version of Windows that doesn't work.

and the reason to upgrade? It looks prettier.

The CPU running at 800MHz is probably because it's down shifted because of cool and quiet and doesn't need to run any faster.

Bike
    1992 Honda Xelvis VT250FN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    The CPU running at 800MHz is probably because it's down shifted because of cool and quiet and doesn't need to run any faster.
    Cool and quiet is disabled and the benchmark (when it's under stress) reports 800MHz.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover View Post
    What use is an OS that needs 1gig of RAM to even function at an acceptable speed?
    That is borderline moronic... How about, what use is an OS that needs 640k of RAM to even function at an acceptable speed?? Equally moronic. A gig of ram is $100, stop your bitching.

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Hay Jim,
    Have you read this before? http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html

Cheers
    Zapf
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    '03 SV650
    I get the same feeling from Vista that I got from XP when it first came out - dumbed down and tries to hold your hand too much.

Saying that, I went to a MS reseller presentation last week and from all appearances (although they never said it), they've purposely messed up the layout and ease of use of the UI to force people to use the new search function on the start menu. Why they couldn't just leave the menu/folder structure the same and include the cool new search as well - people will naturally move to the better system!

As a desktop replacement for XP it's pretty sad however where Vista really shines is when it's tied up with MS's new server systems that they've released - in particular Sharepoint Server, Groove and so on. Some very cool stuff that allows a business to keep their IT resources and shared property (docs, emails etc) self managed and organised.

*I received no payments or donations from MS to post this comment!

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathorse View Post
    I get the same feeling from Vista that I got from XP when it first came out - dumbed down and tries to hold your hand too much.

Saying that, I went to a MS reseller presentation last week and from all appearances (although they never said it), they've purposely messed up the layout and ease of use of the UI to force people to use the new search function on the start menu. Why they couldn't just leave the menu/folder structure the same and include the cool new search as well - people will naturally move to the better system!
    You give people too much credit. The majority of pc users know as little as possible about driving a pc, and that's all they want to know. That's why they dumb it down, and why they had to change the menu/folder structure. People do no naturally move to better systems, people don't even experiment with things, they just do what they know works! A lot of people are still scared of computers! Honestly, people are pathetic.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    That is borderline moronic... How about, what use is an OS that needs 640k of RAM to even function at an acceptable speed?? Equally moronic. A gig of ram is $100, stop your bitching.
    You're calling me moronic?

You think it's acceptable to need a high spec PC just to be able to switch the fucker on?

I bought a new medium spec laptop on boxing day. Out of the box it can barely boot up on Vista. I bought more RAM you fucking cock. But should I really have needed to just to use a web browser?

I bet you're one of these cocks that think Unkle Heilens vision of the future is the way forward too? I expect all govt depts will be using Vista by the end of the month.

Bike
    A big one
    Doesn't Vista do something with copyrights and whatnot, so you can't play downloaded music?
    It's only when you take the piss out of a partially shaved wookie with an overactive 'me' gene and stapled on piss flaps that it becomes a problem.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    DRM? Yes, it does. Just how invasive that will be is still waiting to be seen
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover View Post
    What the hell is it doing with all those system resources?
    Taking over the world?
    Controlling your computer?
    Planning world domination?
    Running distributed processing for Micro$oft?
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Banks View Post
    My experience with Windows Vista so far:

*delete file*
    Vista: Do you want to do that?
    Me: Yes.
    Vista: *screen goes black* Do you really want to do that?
    Vista: Do you really really want to do that?
    Vista: Ok. *deletes file*
    Me: So, uh... how much are Macs going for these days?
    Heh heh...

I worked with a guy a few years ago whose supervisor complained that his programs didn't have enough safety checks. So he rewrote it so every time you answered "Yes" to "Are you sure you want to delete this file?", it added another "really" in front of the "sure", i.e.:
    "Are you really sure you want to delete this file?"
    > Yes
    "Are you really really sure you want to delete this file?"
    > Yes
    "Are you really really really sure you want to delete this file?"
    etc....

Eventually, of course, the user would type "No", when the program would reply:
    "I thought so."
    and exit the program.

FWIW, the company I work for is a Microsoft Developer site (or whatever they're called - can't be bothered running downstairs to look at the plaque). They're currently redeveloping all our S/W for Vista. I for one am dreading the upgrade on my PC, especially given the groans and moans I've heard around the place.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    In between bikes
    Not so long ago: Windows NT4sp6 used 17mb out of the available 192mb RAM

MS has gone downhill since.

Whilst I'm going to make the move to Linux at home (upgrading from Windows 2000), I'll continue to work with MS Windows because it brings in my bread and butter.
    90% of the time spent writing this post was spent thinking of something witty to say. It may have been wasted.

Bike
    Tojo and nothing. Damnit.
    Vista users are reporting have better relationships with their spouses since the upgrade.

It is thought that this is because in comparison with Vista, their spouses seem less annoying

"I thought my wife was a bitch till I used Vista" - Steve Newton, criminal mastermind, Melbourne AU

"When I go home, I look forward to the lack of questions from my criminal attorney wife" - Sam Johns, autopilot designer, New York USA

"When my hands get chopped off by my homicidal husband I'll be glad because because then I won't use Vista anymore" - Sally Symes, guitar maintenance guru, Brighton UK

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Doesn't Vista do something with copyrights and whatnot, so you can't play downloaded music?

Yes, see Zapf's post #20 with the link to Peter Guttmans article
    Last edited by pete376403; 5th March 2007 at 14:42. Reason: Get the name right
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information