Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista

Quote Originally Posted by Brian d'marge View Post
    Verdict windows IS easy to use ...but once you have a bit of knowledge ubuntu is awesome ...
    Yup my company is currently looking at doing every thing open source... Linux and Ubuntu will be the new catch phrases around here pretty soon.

I've checked Ubuntu out Brian, looks pretty good at first and second glance... will see what happens when roll out happens *gulp*

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    Quote Originally Posted by idleidolidyll View Post
    another young punk opens mouth
    Honestly mate, you don't have to be here (KB land) for very long to workout who the angry posters are. Sometimes they are just looking for a fight and its best to ignore them.
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    '03 SV650
    This old joke of Windows being unstable and crashing often really fucks me off. Since Win2k onwards, there has never been a more stable version of Windows, in my experience the only time 2k or XP crashes will be caused by one of the following:

Faulty hardware - this will cause any OS to look bad and is more common than most people realise
    Faulty drivers - Most common early on in an OS's life
    Faulty programs - software either badly written or forced to run on the new OS with no official support or patch to fix the problems

My system runs happily for 20+ days at a time (XP) - with the only time I need to restart being the occasional patch the requires it. Don't think I use it like a pussy either - I game on it most nights, surf/email, occasionally encode video & audio, a bit of photo editing, burn discs, and it runs 24/7... no problems, no worries - oh yeah and 512MB RAM is absolute Min for XP, 1GB for Vista... and no Celeron/Sempron's either!

Bike
    orange, light, loud: all i need
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skelstar View Post
    Honestly mate, you don't have to be here (KB land) for very long to workout who the angry posters are. Sometimes they are just looking for a fight and its best to ignore them.
    i've noticed that relative youth is a major indicator followed by a propensity to put their own words in other people's mouths regardless of their knowledge of the other's experience/knowledge

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    - Installed an OS he didn't even need (XP has a web browser you know...)
    Most laptop shops ie dell come with it preinstalled so your options there are few.

I hate Vista to be honest. It is slow, slower with over twice the ram my PC has running bugger all.

It fuckin struggles to play music when that the only thing your asking of it, skipping and stalling periodically.

I have had it crash for no apparent reason about ten times in only a few hours use.

It uses 50% of 2 gig of ram using My Computer!

And no solitare or minesweeped preinstalled.... wankers! Though it appears these can be DL.

Bike
    orange, light, loud: all i need
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathorse View Post

My system runs happily for 20+ days at a time
    20 days is considered a 'stable platform'?

gasp

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Meathorse View Post
    ,, the only time 2k or XP crashes will be caused by one of the following:

Faulty hardware - this will cause any OS to look bad and is more common than most people realise
    Faulty drivers - Most common early on in an OS's life
    Faulty programs - software either badly written or forced to run on the new OS with no official support or patch to fix the problems

Well, yes, there's not really a lot else , is there. It's hardware, or drivers, or software. Bound to be
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Well, yes, there's not really a lot else , is there. It's hardware, or drivers, or software. Bound to be
    You forgot input (operator) error.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by idleidolidyll View Post
    Nothing to add?
    Windows releases have NEVER lived up to the bullshit hype that precedes them.
    Every new release has promised awesome security and the most stable platform ever. None have ever delivered, why should I pay another $750 just to be disappointed again?

I reckon opting out of the bloatware cycle is entirely relevant and I ask again: What is the best Linux Platform on which I can run an emulator and continue with my photographic/design work?
    You're missing the point. I don't actually care about anyone's opinions about "better" alternatives. Some of us have to work within the constraints demanded by our job.

If you want to ask about what Linux platform to run, start a thread asking that. This thread is about Windows Vista.

Mind you a search would reveal that there is no "best" Linux build. You need to investigate what build would best suit you. That is the beauty of the Open Source world. You get to choose, but that can cut 2 ways. I run Solaris 10 because I have to do a little bit of Solaris 10 support at work for backup software.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Well, I'd argue that input error shouldn't be able to crash the system, unless there's a fault in the software.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX1100 Turbo

Blah

I have a full unopened copy of RED HAT if anyone wants it?

geesh anythings better than actually paying microsoft to fark your computer up its own arse.
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary - that's what gets you."
    Jeremy Clarkson.

Kawasaki 200mph Club

Bike
    1992 Honda Xelvis VT250FN
    Dover is completely right. An OS is supposed to let you use your bloody computer. You shouldn't have to 'tweak' it just so you use the software you paid for.
    Requiring 1GB of RAM and taking up 512MB of that is also ridiculous. I mean, most laptops and computers on the market now come with either 512MB or 1GB. Not only do you need to run the operating system, you need to load other programs to actually do work on top of that.

Bike
    2011 Suziki V strom 650
    Blog Entries
    I find a bottle or of Viejo Crianza 1991 Reserva makes working on my home PC that much more pleasant.

As for all the other crap.....I suggest you all start riding around on Honda C90's. Why do you need all that electricity and fuel just to start an overpriced litre bike ??

Talk about thread hijacking!!
    Legalise anarchy

Bike
    '01 VTR SP1, '92 NSR300, rm125,
    vista is nice, then again, so is everthing you dont have to* pay for
    zzzzzZZZ

Bike
    Kwakasaurus Z750s '05
    Well that thread fell well short of it's intention and potential. For once i thought reading kb could be justified as work research, stoopid me. :slap:

Like it or lump it, and regardless of opinions of microsloth, those of us who work in a corporate environment will be having to use this sooner or later. Some feedback from people doing this already would have be well cool.

Thread Information