Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Vista

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries

Windows Vista

Slowly getting used to it. Quite a bit has changed, and for the better I might add. The file system and permissions are a lot tighter than they used to be, but most of all, it looks good.

Especially when you start personalising things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Desktop.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	209.6 KB 
ID:	55284  
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    yeh took me a while when i was beta testing. can you run all your drivers and shit in it properly yet?
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I've not had a single stumble with drivers (except for my 10 year old printer), but I'm running what could be considered a conservatively old school rig.

I'm using Vista Business to get familiar with stuff I'll have to be implementing on a grand scale over the next couple of years.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    1992 Honda Xelvis VT250FN
    My experience with Windows Vista so far:

*delete file*
    Vista: Do you want to do that?
    Me: Yes.
    Vista: *screen goes black* Do you really want to do that?
    Vista: Do you really really want to do that?
    Vista: Ok. *deletes file*
    Me: So, uh... how much are Macs going for these days?

Bike
    2007, Kawasaki Z750 (L)
    well... since it won't let me run my DSE usb adsl modem or a dlink 200 modem... it's back to XP until I can afford to get a router... oh and it didn't like my soundblaster X-fi too much either
    I have deep pockets. It's just that it's a deep empty pocket...........

Bike
    nothing :(
    Its still a piece of shit. I have had the luxury of all the search gadgets etc on the mac for years now

O yes and just so we are on the same page I dont have to have the greatest and latest mac to run os 10.4 or 10.5 for that matter. Actualy im running it on a G4 build almost 3 years ago and its still faster than the piece of shit windows xp machine my wife has that run the latest and greatest hardware of 1 year ago
    Second is the fastest loser

"It is better to have ridden & crashed than never to have ridden at all" by Bruce Bennett

DB is the new Porridge. Cause most of the mods must be sucking his cock ..... Or his giving them some oral help? How else can you explain it?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma51 View Post
    Its still a piece of shit. I have had the luxury of all the search gadgets etc on the mac for years now
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma51 View Post

O yes and just so we are on the same page I dont have to have the greatest and latest mac to run os 10.4 or 10.5 for that matter. Actualy im running it on a G4 build almost 3 years ago and its still faster than the piece of shit windows xp machine my wife has that run the latest and greatest hardware of 1 year ago
    The idea wasn't to start a mac/windows war. I've worked with both and in the right environment both O/Ses have their place.

However setup XP badly and it will run like shit. Setup OS X badly and it will run like shit. Setup Debian Woody badly and it will run like shit. See the theme?

OS X has the benefit of being built on a platform where rights management and file system objects where designed, not grown in response to client demand, or some developement cell's great idea. BSD Unix has been peer reviewed by some huge brains and competent techies for decades. Windows started with bits of code thrown away by Xerox and IBM.

Microsoft has an inertia in the Corporate and Home market that you can't deny. From my personal perspective Apple hardware has only just hit a level of flexibility that makes it attractive for a "fiddler" like me, but the price is still too inflated to make it a serious option. Don't start going all eMac and Powerbook on me either, they're both horrible outside of their intended market.

If you guys haven't got anything to add, don't say anything.

I'm trying to get a feel for perceptions of Vista, not "XP is shitty", and "Mac's rule". If you do want to go down that path, at least try and be original, though given how often that muck has been raked over, there can;t many many new and interesting comments to make.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
    Microsoft has an inertia in the Corporate and Home market that you can't deny. From my personal perspective Apple hardware has only just hit a level of flexibility that makes it attractive for a "fiddler" like me, but the price is still too inflated to make it a serious option. Don't start going all eMac and Powerbook on me either, they're both horrible outside of their intended market.
    Actually, I very recently got a MacBook. The price was very similar (if not cheaper) to PC notebooks with the same hardware. As for Vista, I'll do a brief rundown of points I don't like about it:

1. User Access Control. The most annoying and obtrusive security system ever designed.
    2. They completely rewrote the sound system. This means that when my frame rate drops in a game, the sound starts to stutter.
    3. I have an AMD 64 3000+ that runs at 2000MHz. For some reason, even though Vista SAYS it is 2000MHz, it is only running at 800MHz. Probably driver issues. Again.
    4. Windows Activation: Pirates now have a key generator that will generate random keys so they can activate Vista. This means that there's a chance that a key you buy from the store will already be activated. In fact, I already know someone who has had this problem. He called up Microsoft, and they accused him of piracy. Now he has a version of Windows that doesn't work.

and the reason to upgrade? It looks prettier.

Bike
    What use is an OS that needs 1gig of RAM to even function at an acceptable speed?

It's a pig. It looks pretty but is fucking horrible to use. What the hell is it doing with all those system resources?

Bike
    No bike It solded
    well said Jim..I havent had much if no trouble from Win xp pro, It runs my games and all that and you guys should see the new Hi Def Games coming out soon with DX 10, unfortunatly you need to have vista to use DX 10, although they say that it is possible to run DX 10 on xp ....just that they wont do it.

Anyways when you see a game where a soldier is crawling through under growth .....and I mean grass blades and leaves /branches moving aside as you go it looks way better than anything thats out there at the moment.

Bring on the gaming of the future.

And its a market thing ....if you want great looking games you will buy the best Hardware and Software to run it(imo Vista is going to be awesome for games)...if you want to edit music and movies you will buy a Mac.

I have no agendas for or against windows/Mac os.

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    So you're a fan of Dilbert?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Banks View Post
    Actually, I very recently got a MacBook. The price was very similar (if not cheaper) to PC notebooks with the same hardware. As for Vista, I'll do a brief rundown of points I don't like about it:
    I don't care. But thanks for the other salient points.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
    I don't care. But thanks for the other salient points.
    You may not care, but saying that Apples are always more expensive isn't quite true anymore.

Bike
    tedium
    1. User Access Control. The most annoying and obtrusive security system ever designed.
    They've revised some of the default settings from the final release candidate to the actually released software. The level of "nagginess" is completely (and easily) configurable in the admin tools.

4. Windows Activation: Pirates now have a key generator that will generate random keys so they can activate Vista.
    Supposedly they don't even have to. The boxed versions of Vista have license keys on the outside so they're just going in with camera phones and snapping the license keys

and the reason to upgrade? It looks prettier.
    Acutally there's a lot. The kernel security is miles better. All apps are properly sandboxed with varying levels of authentication (ala linux). If you buy enterprise or ultime then you get the option of a properly encrypted hard drive. The backup now actually works...there's now no reason to buy Norton Ghost or Acronis products. The firewall now works for incoming and outgoing packets and is very configurable. I can quickly define group security policies to stop users playing solitaire or using skype during working hours. The contextual help, contextual searching & system recovery are now miles better (more so than the Mac at the moment).

From a sysadmin POV, all 5 versions of Vista can fit on and be installed from a 4GB USB key. The installation options can now be (ala linux) stored in an XML file(s) on the USB too.

Doesn't matter whether or not we like it. Within a couple of years 9/10 of desktops will be using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX1100 Turbo

Blah

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover View Post
    What use is an OS that needs 1gig of RAM to even function at an acceptable speed?

It's a pig. It looks pretty but is fucking horrible to use. What the hell is it doing with all those system resources?
    have a look at how much RAM winxp uses with no programs running, and how much Vista uses... you need 513mb of RAM just to click start on Vista. Shows the speeds and how much more powerful a computer you need to even run this OS than what is available to the average home user.

My experience with Windows Vista so far:

*delete file*
    Vista: Do you want to do that?
    Vista: *screen goes black* Do you really want to do that?
    Vista: Do you really really want to do that?
    Vista: Ok. *deletes file*
    Me: So, uh... how much are Macs going for these days?
    My experience is very similar, the blank screen and "do you really want to do that" over and over... aparently some sort of 'protection' against people buggering up imortant settings on your computer... ...pah.. yeah because only people that know what their doing can click "OK" ...vistas a joke.

They have only just cought upto OS-X in terms of aesthetics and userinterfaces... next Apple OS due out soon...

My advice? Wait 6 months for all the bugs and drivers to be ironed out properlly and the cost of hardware capable to run it reaches a economically friendly price bracket then put Vista on. Until then... let those that use all of their disposible income on computers play with it...

Sorry folks.. just looks like a OS-X wannabe, im sticking with my mac.
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary - that's what gets you."
    Jeremy Clarkson.

Kawasaki 200mph Club

Thread Information