Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Windows Vista

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by idleidolidyll View Post
    20 days is considered a 'stable platform'?

gasp
    • My linux system hasn't been booted for over 2 years... (even with software updates)
    • My mac on average once a month... (software updates)
    • windows varies depending on what I am doing... from once a week to 3 or 4 months and its usually because a software and patch updates

Now I run a pretty tight lean ship and only have installed software that I use. If I don't use it it gets uninstalled and registry cleaned out... Now I have another system where I test software on and it is pretty unstable at the moment and does require regular reboots

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by John Banks View Post
    Yes. XP's RAM requirements are extremely bloated.
    yes considering years ago I needed 64 kb of RAM oh then 128.... then DOS on my XT with 640kb RAM to run GEOS, heck nearly a whole 1 mb, then my 286 with 4mb win Win3.0, wowsers 386 with 8mb, Win3.11 blah blah blah...

and I now have 1.5gb on my PC... eh just give me a couple of Terabytes of ram and a couple 1000Tb's for my HD and be done with it...

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121
    We're all arguing about Vista with real people via an internet forum...aren't the lines a little blurred now regarding nerdiness?
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    Suzuki GSX1250FA, TGB 50cc moped
    Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkNZ View Post
    [LIST][*]My linux system hasn't been booted for over 2 years... (even with software updates)
    Yep, I installed Ubuntu Linux on an old PC, transferring my copy of XP to the new one. It looks good, its stable but I struggle with the basics like downloading and installing new software.

I find the Ubuntu help pages even more confusing than the Windoze ones which is really saying something!

I'll be hanging on to XP as long as I can, and trying to learn more about Linux so I can skip Vista completely.

I see the IRD have decided to use Linux instead of XP/VISTA when they next upgrade.
    David must play fair with the other kids, even the idiots.

Bike
    Tojo and nothing. Damnit.
    Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    Yep, I installed Ubuntu Linux on an old PC, transferring my copy of XP to the new one. It looks good, its stable but I struggle with the basics like downloading and installing new software.
    In the current version of Ubuntu, you click on applications, then 'add/remove' and choose what you want from there. It downloads and installs it with very little interaction. What are you struggling with?

Yeah, thread hijack I know..

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    just got a new computer, AMD 64bit 5600+ Dual Core, running 2GB ram, and has a 256mb nVidia Nforce 8600GT in it. We have it set up with dual boot with XP and Vista. I've only heard bad things about Vista, but i havent read much lately, and i cant be bothered reading too much at the moment.

How are people finding it now? I'm going to install some of my 'older' games later such as LOMAC, IL2, and Pacific Fighters, and will be getting a load more games tonight/tomorrow from my mate. Anyone able to tell me before I install if I am going to run into problems?

Liking the new computer either way, though i guess you always do. Got a nice 'big' 21ich LCD Samung, and a 5.1 Surround Sound Logitech setup for music... very nice. Sure it's off the shelf, but I haven't had a new computer since 2001 so I'm pretty stoked, even if my dad selected the specifications without telling me he was buying the thing.
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    Haven't had many problems running my Windows Vista Ultimate NFR copy on a LAN that has a domain controller, but NOT logging on to the domain. I play games on it, so far only newish ones (GTA:San Andreas, Total War: Medieval II, America's Army (until PunkBastard crapped out)), use MS Office 2K3 (gave up on 2K7), RDP/ICA and a few other *cough* work tools.
    So far, no major issues.

Had some problems with test and prod boxes at customers, problems with NICs losing the LAN after sleep mode, when you re-enable them you can se the other computers but not connect to them (WTF?), some .NET security issues, but mostly running ok. Basic O/S included security 'tools' like defender, firewall, etc...work better than Symantec I.S. Enterprise, but that's no suprise. F**K I hate Symantec's products now, and their useless licensing desk is about 6 months behind. We've been sent cracks by the distributor here to extend eval modes on customer's Backup Exec installs which they are licensed for because Symantec haven't been able to generate new keys! WTF is with that?!

Only used Beta 2/RC1/RC2, Ultimate and Business. Haven't used Vista home yet, so not sure what kind of bastard things I'm used to doing I won't be able to do.

Bike
    Gerbil DNA 180
    Why fight inevitable? I will upgrade my home network to Vista as soon as SP6 comes out.
    "People are stupid ... almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true ... they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so all are easier to fool." -- Wizard's First Rule

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    I bought a new computer just when XP came out and I must confess I did experience a lot of crashes with the system - but it's likely the crappy PC Company hardware was to blame!

I bought a new computer just when Vista arrived but it had XP so I wasn't worried about upgrading. However, that computer was faulty and had to be replaced after three months and the new one has Vista. I am not a computer person and therefore can't articulate as well as some of you, but I really like it! I have had very few problems with - the only one was an incompatability issue with Photoshop CS2. It kept prompting me to register the product each time I opened it and unfortunately I kept doing so until I got an error message saying I had activated the product too many times and I had days of frustration before I could get a new activation code from Adobe.

But I like the look of Vista and my new computer is obviously grunty enough to run it well, so I'm happy.
    Yes, I am pedantic about spelling and grammar so get used to it!

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    Beemer, you had a problem with the 'elevated' security model. It was really nasty on the pre-public release versions.

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Monkey View Post
    Beemer, you had a problem with the 'elevated' security model. It was really nasty on the pre-public release versions.
    I felt a twat for not Googling the problem when it first occured as someone had posted a solution but by then it was too late and Adobe really pissed me off! I rang their help desk for two days, at different times of the day and night, and never found it open. I emailed them and got no response - although after being given a different number (which worked, I got a real person, hallelujah!), I have since received 20 emails from them saying the case has been closed...

Hopefully that will be the only problem I find!
    Yes, I am pedantic about spelling and grammar so get used to it!

Bike
    A Cage
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    I bought a new computer just when XP came out and I must confess I did experience a lot of crashes with the system - but it's likely the crappy PC Company hardware was to blame!
    Well that and the fact we rushed XP out the door so we could claim we were the worlds first OEM to ship it, despite the fact that most of the hardware we were supplying didnt have native XP drivers and we were mostly using 2k ones :-)

Dont you LOVE it when management and marketing get to overrule the R&D guys? Happened a hell of a lot at the PC Company.. I remember one particular motherboard we got in, we tested it, it was an absolute hunk of shit even by our standards, we told management we should not buy them under any circumstances, they said they'd already brought 1000's of them and production was starting in 2 days.. We had somewhere around a 70-80% failure rate on those boards within a year.

*mutter mutter mutter*

Bike
    N/a
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Monkey View Post
    Haven't had many problems running my Windows Vista Ultimate NFR copy on a LAN that has a domain controller, but NOT logging on to the domain. I play games on it, so far only newish ones (GTA:San Andreas, Total War: Medieval II, America's Army (until PunkBastard crapped out)), use MS Office 2K3 (gave up on 2K7), RDP/ICA and a few other *cough* work tools.
    So far, no major issues.

Had some problems with test and prod boxes at customers, problems with NICs losing the LAN after sleep mode, when you re-enable them you can se the other computers but not connect to them (WTF?), some .NET security issues, but mostly running ok. Basic O/S included security 'tools' like defender, firewall, etc...work better than Symantec I.S. Enterprise, but that's no suprise. F**K I hate Symantec's products now, and their useless licensing desk is about 6 months behind. We've been sent cracks by the distributor here to extend eval modes on customer's Backup Exec installs which they are licensed for because Symantec haven't been able to generate new keys! WTF is with that?!

Only used Beta 2/RC1/RC2, Ultimate and Business. Haven't used Vista home yet, so not sure what kind of bastard things I'm used to doing I won't be able to do.
    yea symantec support is fucked. backup exec is inflated in price a lot since they bought it.
    ive had one vista machine on a a LAN with SBS and it ran like a dog. i dont know why so we downgraded it to xp pro.

Thread Information