Thread: Yet another bike I'm looking at...need help

Bike
    RMZ 250

Yet another bike I'm looking at...need help

Well...once again I'm back looking at more expensive bikes.

What would you pay for a 2002 R1 never registered (has VIN), fairings only used for the first ~1000kms as it was a demo bike that was turned into a race bike. At that point rebuilt with high comp pistions, aftermarket cams, valves, ohlins suspension front and back, power commander etc etc. Dyno'd with just over 160hp at the rear wheel.

It has the race fairings as well as the road items, all the old pistons, cams etc with only about 1000kms on it.

Its done 3,500kms (guy always raced with the speedo/rev connected). 2,500 of them racing with the new gear installed.

Can't find many R1's for sale of that vintage privatly (I never listen to dealer prices).

I'm just about ready to get it...but trying to beat the price down a little more.

Any one know what is required to get it on the road (except things like road tyres and putting all the original panels back on)?

Bike
    Ducati V4S Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I'd be inclined to get it checked out by a race-mechanic or very good store mechanic for an appraisal.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    I second toaster - 2,500 raced k's doesnt mean jack. Take it for a ride, then take a newer r1 for a ride. If you feel sags in the power band then there is problem with the ex race bike
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    Yamaha 1989 TDR250, KTM 950
    this the silver one on trade me? Bare in mind its service life as a road bike will be more limited and if its set up for the track, might be a pig on the road. Its 8k right? My 2 cents would suggest saving for a little while longer and getting a nicely looked after road ready bike.
    The real mystery is how come that fat bastard Hurley has never lost any weight.

Bike
    RMZ 250
    I've already taken it for a ride, has a shit load of power, handles like the best bike I've ever riden.

I will be getting it checked out before purchasing (normally don't, but seeing as its been raced).

So any ideas on what a reasonable price is? If it hadn't been raced I'd probably snapped it up by now...thats the only thing thats stopping me handing over the cash, not that I care its been raced (wouldn't have all the lovely goodies on it otherwise)...

Bike
    RMZ 250
    Quote Originally Posted by unhingedlizard View Post
    this the silver one on trade me? Bare in mind its service life as a road bike will be more limited and if its set up for the track, might be a pig on the road. Its 8k right? My 2 cents would suggest saving for a little while longer and getting a nicely looked after road ready bike.
    Yeah thats the one. Its actually in mint condition, all the road parts are like new (well...never used!!)...it also comes with tyre warmers, stands, almost new race tyres etc as well.

He wants $10k for it, but I said to much and looking at $9k for it.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX10R (2006), Kawasaki GPz550H2
    i know the owner of this bike. he hasn't used it much at all, only a couple of actrix/vic club races.

it really is in good condition. it spends most of the time in the garage under a sheet.

i used to help him with the pit work when he was racing it. bistard can also tell you more about the bike.

he actually won the superbike class (actrix series) a few years ago on a gsxr1100 that had big bore pistons, amongst other things.

Bike
    RMZ 250
    Quote Originally Posted by dickytoo View Post
    i know the owner of this bike. he hasn't used it much at all, only a couple of actrix/vic club races.

it really is in good condition. it spends most of the time in the garage under a sheet.

i used to help him with the pit work when he was racing it. bistard can also tell you more about the bike.

he actually won the superbike class (actrix series) a few years ago on a gsxr1100 that had big bore pistons, amongst other things.
    Yeah thats the guy, he was telling me he used to race a GSXR1100.

Bike
    he's quite modest, isn't he?

he won one of the actrix series championships on the 11 and then he bought this bike off sawyers after jason finished racing it. he actually paid a bucket load of money for it so it's got all the good bits.

i think bistard was also involved in the sale and he can confirm that it does have all the bits he says it has. he didn't race it much because i was helping him with the drive down to mansfield and after i went to oz, he just didn't want to do the long drives by himself!

it's a good one and he's pretty honest about mileage and stuff like that.

Bike
    RMZ 250
    Quote Originally Posted by dickytoo View Post
    he's quite modest, isn't he?

he won one of the actrix series championships on the 11 and then he bought this bike off sawyers after jason finished racing it. he actually paid a bucket load of money for it so it's got all the good bits.

i think bistard was also involved in the sale and he can confirm that it does have all the bits he says it has. he didn't race it much because i was helping him with the drive down to mansfield and after i went to oz, he just didn't want to do the long drives by himself!

it's a good one and he's pretty honest about mileage and stuff like that.
    Do you know how much racing Jason did on it? Would be interested in knowing.

PM'd bistard to see what he has to say.

Cheers

Bike
    i'm not sure but i don't think he did a full championship on it. i think some of the hot bits came a little to late and was installed after jason finished racing it.

derek mcadam did the engine work i think (when he was working at motorad/sawyers) and he's bloody good at it. i bought a zx9 engine of him and you could eat of the insides of it. he cleaned up all the casting burrs and stuff and the engine was immaculate inside and out!

Thread Information