Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What do people think of an Aprilia RS250???

Bike
    gpx 250 WITH FLAMES lol

Question What do people think of an Aprilia RS250???

wow never done one of these things before so if i do it wrong im sorry.

for the past 8 months i have ben cruising around on a virago 250 but have riden dirt bikes since i was 5. i now have decided that i want a sport bike. me being me i started looking at the 2 stroke bikes and then the aprilia caught my eye. so realy what im asking is are these bikes any good??

2strokegirl

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Very nice bikes, but they are at the edge as far as performance 250's go. Lots of fun, brilliant handling, exotic looks, excellent acceleration for a 1/4 litre bike. Looked after they are an amazing little machine. Not looked after and they'll cause headaches.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Yeah OAB says it really...and way more bang than what you are riding right now, so if thats the style of bike you are progressing towards then best get onto it sooner rather than later, dont want ya getting to comfortable on the Virago...

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    If you're used to 2 stroke dirt bikes then you'll be used to engines that require stripped and rebuilt every x number of riding hours.

The RS250 is a beautifully made bike with polished aluminium frame. V-Twin 250cc 2T engine that I think puts out around 70hp before it's been fiddled with. Brembo brakes and USD forks. It will easily do 200kph+ and is touted as being as close to a 250GP bike as you can get on the road.

They are often crashed though as some people with no bike experience buy them as their first bike - they go out with the mentality of "what's the fastest bike I can get on my Learner licence?" and then write it off a couple of weeks later.

Lovely piece of machinery - I can't justify getting one (otherwise I would).

Bike
    98 Honda Hornet 250
    I recommend you don't get one cos it will make me jealous

Bike
    Yamaha 1989 TDR250, KTM 950
    I used to have an RS125. Amazing bikes. the RS250 is the fastest 250 out there bar none. Its also a potential handgrenade as you will never know how well the previous owner took care of it. It is an amazing riding experience that will make you laugh when people say that their GSXZCBRRRR-RR1 handles really well. It will also absorb money like blotting paper and guzzel $30 a litre High Per two stroke oil like you wouldnt believe. They are also crap round town

Seriously, if you can afford it and believe you have the riding experience for it go for it. Otherwise buy something sensible and save for a decent 600.

Oh and yes the RS was my first bike and yes I crashed it bad...twice.. and rebuilt it after it went pop.
    The real mystery is how come that fat bastard Hurley has never lost any weight.

Bike
    gpx 250 WITH FLAMES lol
    thanks guys this bike sounds like what im looking for. one list thing does any one no how high they are?? im only 16 and a bit of a short ass lol

2strokegirl

Bike
    RF900
    You can afford a RS when you're only 16?

Bike
    Yamaha 1989 TDR250, KTM 950
    Quote Originally Posted by 2strokegirl View Post
    thanks guys this bike sounds like what im looking for. one list thing does any one no how high they are?? im only 16 and a bit of a short ass lol

2strokegirl

Presumably your gonna test ride it before buying it? Its about as small as a current R1. (mmmmmmmm, currents arrrrrrrrrr)
    The real mystery is how come that fat bastard Hurley has never lost any weight.

Bike
    gpx 250 WITH FLAMES lol
    and how big is an r1??

iv seen photos but haven seen one up close so yes i will look at them before buying it lol.

Bike
    '08 DR650
    http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...rs250%2000.htm

Seat Height: 810 mm

beautiful bikes, but you must understand that it is a very quick and it will be very unforgiving, power to weight-wise
    Max Power
    72.5 hp 52.9 kW @ 11900 rpm (rear tyre 64.3 hp @ 10400 rpm)
    Dry-Weigh 140 kg

what are you going to use the bike for mainly? commuting would just be a killer for this sort've bike, i did it on the rgv, would clog it up and it'd run like shit, touring got pretty painful after more than a couple of hours, the track was where it was perfect.

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    To an extent you can fiddle with the fuel/oil mix to make a 2T run better over distance but it's best to set it up for max power and fang it round a track!

I'm reading between the lines here - you are gonna fang it aren't you? It'd be an awful shame to get an RS and just tickle it.

Just don't fang it on the open road when I'm around - RS250 is essentially a track bike with lights on.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    essentially the same engine in the rs as in the rgv....

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=45775

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    Max Power
    72.5 hp 52.9 kW @ 11900 rpm (rear tyre 64.3 hp @ 10400 rpm)
    Why the different rpm? Surely the peak horsepower would be the at the same rpm no matter where it was measured.

Bike
    bitch
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Why the different rpm? Surely the peak horsepower would be the at the same rpm no matter where it was measured.
    one could be a factory claimed number and one could be a real world dyno reading? you can never rely on factory claims so many with diff conditions peak power is somewhere else in the revs aswell?

just a thought

Gremlin says:
    I'll rely on my stunning good looks, to snare myself a traditional women, that cooks cleans, and is dynamite in bed
    Gremlin says:
    oh hell... I'm fucked

Thread Information