Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My (new) 5 cents

Bike
    KTM300EXC

My (new) 5 cents

I should've started my first post here but anyway hi there Kbikers - I'm a new member. I've been a bike nut all my life, currently have a VTR1000 (great road bike, easiest bike I've ever had for learning to wheelie on, runs out of gas exactly when I need a rest...out of its depth on a track though - too heavy and soft), YZ250F (for those of you who have only ever riden 2 stroke dirt bikes the 4 strokes have revolutionised dirt biking - you've got try one! I race it at Ardmore mostly - and a bit of other club racing around the country) and finally a new (old) RGV250 race bike. I'm looking to begin my first ever road race this summer, at this stage R1 & R2 AMCC are going to be out as it looks like I can't make them...so probably I'll get to Taupo for a PMCC race. A whole new game this road racing though - I've done a couple of days at Pukekohe and it is great fun....fast track! Looking foward to cutting my teeth with other members.

Only bike I've ever regretted selling - Duke 748. Expensive to own (but not run comparitivly I found) and in the end it did me having $20k tied up in one bike - but it was sublime - more satisifying than a 916/996 etc for my tastes as you always got to ride the hell out of the engine which made you feel like a hero. Awesome cornering ability too. Like a 4 stroke RGV actually....

Only other thing other members may be interested to know - I used to work for Red Bull Yamaha for a couple of years - actually there are heaps of kiwis working in GP and SBK - I think we're a bit too quiet as I'm sure other kiwi bikers would like to read about their stories and experiences?

Great site.

cheers,
    Guy Inglis
    Takapuna, Auckland.

Welcome Guy Inglis the 748 is one of my dream bikes, like you siad more fun to ride than a 916/996

how long ago did you work for Red Bull Yamaha?

Bike
    KTM300EXC
    Hey Cajun - yup 748s rock. I still think about selling all my bikes to get one again but can't bring myself to do it. In a perfect world we'd keep every bike we ever bought!

worked in the 99 and 2000 season - I arrived and then Simon Crafar left the team which was a bummer - in 98 Crafar was simply awesome. I can watch the video of him kick Doohan's arse again and again at Donington - never tire of watching that race Really sad to see him disappear from the top of racing.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Hey Cajun - yup 748s rock. I still think about selling all my bikes to get one again but can't bring myself to do it. In a perfect world we'd keep every bike we ever bought!
    Hmmm... dunno about that. Maybe you've only ever had good bikes...

Anyway - welcome to KB! I too have a FahrtSturm, and live on the Shore. I'd suggest we go for a ride together sometime, but it sounds as though you'd get bored tootling along with me...
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    KTM300EXC
    Quote Originally Posted by firestormer
    Hmmm... dunno about that. Maybe you've only ever had good bikes...

Anyway - welcome to KB! I too have a FahrtSturm, and live on the Shore. I'd suggest we go for a ride together sometime, but it sounds as though you'd get bored tootling along with me...
    Nah I've had some rubbish alright (1982 RM125 srpings to mind) but I'd just like to keep them all for sentimental's sake....

On the road I am a quiet rider - too many cops and too many eeediots trying to kill me...so I keep things in check. Always keen for a blat though.

worked in the 99 and 2000 season - I arrived and then Simon Crafar left the team which was a bummer - in 98 Crafar was simply awesome. I can watch the video of him kick Doohan's arse again and again at Donington - never tire of watching that race Really sad to see him disappear from the top of racing.
    yeah sad to see him dispear last time i heard he was racing in britsh superbikes or something. Any kiwi kicking any aussies ass is good watching

Bike
    Suzuki DR650

Thumbs up

Hey there, I didn't get to meet you last time when you were at the track but I am sure we will run into each other out there in the future. It'd be real cool to hear more about your experineces with Yamaha racing.

Welcome to KB!

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Welcome, welcome, welcome - those of us you may not know yet you will come to know and...well either like, love or feel indiffernt about.
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    KTM300EXC
    Quote Originally Posted by Motoracer
    Hey there, I didn't get to meet you last time when you were at the track but I am sure we will run into each other out there in the future. It'd be real cool to hear more about your experineces with Yamaha racing.

Welcome to KB!
    Hey - I've been only out twice (blue RGV no. 43) so far.... not sure if you were there...I'm only doing 1.15s at the moment (heaps to learn) so you were probably blasting by showing us newbies how to do it.....I actually get almost as much kick out of riding round there as watching 600s and thous' going screaming by knee in the deck, pegs scraping Best seat in the house to watch how it should be done! Especially coming out of the hair pin into the double left (what a hole that is - do you ride round it?) then right over the hill! Wicked. Actually having worked for Red Bull helping someon else go road racing, since I've had a go myself I've now got a lot more respect for them - it's a different kettle of fish from motocross! The sppeeeeeeeeeddd

Suffering mechanical problems too that I'm still ironing out. Need to get it sorted before race day!

Bike
    Sold
    Hey - I've been only out twice (blue RGV no. 43) so far.... not sure if you were there...
    Hi TG & welcome along.

Were you out at Pukekohe Open day several weeks ago? If so, what colour leathers were you wearing - blue & white?

Enjoy KB,

Zed

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Hey - I've been only out twice (blue RGV no. 43) so far.... not sure if you were there...I'm only doing 1.15s at the moment (heaps to learn) so you were probably blasting by showing us newbies how to do it.....I actually get almost as much kick out of riding round there as watching 600s and thous' going screaming by knee in the deck, pegs scraping Best seat in the house to watch how it should be done! Especially coming out of the hair pin into the double left (what a hole that is - do you ride round it?) then right over the hill! Wicked. Actually having worked for Red Bull helping someon else go road racing, since I've had a go myself I've now got a lot more respect for them - it's a different kettle of fish from motocross! The sppeeeeeeeeeddd

Suffering mechanical problems too that I'm still ironing out. Need to get it sorted before race day!
    I didn't see you that time but Curious George came up to me and introduced himself to me and later on in KB, I found out that you were there as well.

1:15 on a RGV250 for a Newbie?? Shit, mate!! that is flying quick!!! You already have the race pace to begin F3 if you want right now and you'll already be quicker than a few guys there I am sure... You'll have a ball when you start racing mate!!

Errrr... What hole? lol

Bike
    08 ZX-6R Race Bike, FXR150
    Welcome along to the site im the guy that usually hangs around MR and at the track, ride a RG150 with black fairing and scraps up the side (bad experience on the hill in the wet LOL)..... 1:15's is awesome you should follow Bruno around, he is doing 1:11's on a RGV250

And MR i think he is talking about the bump lol..... I try to cut in hard againt the ripple strip to avoid the bump.... otherwise maybe take a wider line to go around it...... Dont listen to me though, im slow as hell doing 1:20's
    See Robert Taylor for any Ohlins requirements www.northwest.co.nz
    Thanks Colemans Suzuki
    Thanks AMCC
    I use DID Chains and Akrapovic Exhausts

Bike
    Honda PC800
    welcolm to KB Guy
    Bloody hell-1.15 --Um Look -out of concideration for a newbee racer I might "tune" your bike for you pre your first f3 race.
    It might SEEM to go slower but thatll only be because I'm just in front showing you round the track.
    Seriously dude 1.15 is darn fast for an old RGV
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Suzuki DR650
    Ohhhh yea... normally I just ride over that but I am not sure what the best way to do it is...

You NEED a fuken bigger bike smoker! Now go work hard and save up for it so that I can test ride your K4!!

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    Hi That Guy - welcome to the KB site. It's a great place.

I think you used to live next door to me for a while in Kelson, you were in the two storey house.

We're still in the same little green house, still into bikes - 2 each now (Hamish has his R1100S and a GS1200SS). I really really really love my Ducs.

When is the Taupo round? I'd like to come up for it.

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Thread Information