Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Chaly CF50 engines

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S

Honda Chaly CF50 engines

We've had a Chaly 50 (CF50) floating around for a while and have finally decided to have ago at putting back on the road. Only thing is the motor is kinda sad. I could give it a top end freshen it up but I got the impression from previous enquiries that I have to reg it as a motorbike as the 50cc puts out over 2kw. This being the case was thinking to putting a CT110 or similar new Chinese engine (ex tard me) in it.

I'm guessing it would cost similar to freshen it up as it would to get a chinese engine? Would a Chinese one fit? Anybody done a repower or the freshen up? What you guys do?

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    1989 Honda CBR250R
    50cc is fine aslong as its power restricted, its usually not exactly 50 anyways so u can get away with 49cc if u must. It's all on paper anyways really, who's going to check whether you have 1cc too much or not.

Isn't 110cc bigger than 50cc? Or have I had it wrong all these years?
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    -
    No he's saying, that the existing motor in it, despite being 50cc, produces more than the 2kw limit for mopeds. So it can't be registered as a moped anyway, so there's no point in keeping the tiny engine and he wants to put something more powerful in it, like a CT110 engine.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    No he's saying, that the existing motor in it, despite being 50cc, produces more than the 2kw limit for mopeds. So it can't be registered as a moped anyway, so there's no point in keeping the tiny engine and he wants to put something more powerful in it, like a CT110 engine.
    Your on the money. I have to re reg from scratch so will not be able to get onto he road as a moped so lets get some "ponies" (in relative terms) under there - so will a CT110 fit??? Would like a fully worked pit bike 125 but that is probably kinda expensive for what its going to be used for.

I get the impression that they all have the same gear box casings (although can have 3 or 4 speed with or without auto clutch) just that the top end is different and has different carbies. If this is true then as they use the box casings to mount the engine a CT110 will fit.

Lets refine the questions - does a CT110 have the same gearbox casings as a CF50/CF70? Is it really worth a CT110 or chinese copy or should I just freshen up the top end or or or or should I just try and get a 110/125 top end kit i.e. barrel, piston, head and carbie? Does anybody know of any top end kit suppliers in NZ (I can source a CT110/Chinese copy)?

Help - to many options and too little knowledge!

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Tonight I pulled the top end and side covers off the engine. Apart from a carboned up piston and combustion chamer the rest look pretty good - including bore. Other thing i've noticed is that the 86cc chinese motor on trade me is 3.5kw and the standard CF50 engine is suppose to be good for 3.4kw so not actually much to be gained there.

Got me thinking is it really worth a transplant and am I actually allowed to stick a 110 in it even if it did fit. Had a read on the LTNZ (LTSA) site and see that not allowed any bigger in cc without low volume certification. the Chaly's did come out as 70cc's but still not 110cc. Would I get greif putting a 110 in during rereg? Do you know anything about this Motu?

Cheers R

Bike
    1989 Honda CBR250R
    Dude, You can register your 50 as a MOPED. You could fit a 70cc crank/piston/barrel/head/manifold kit onto your 50cc transmission case but it wouldn't be worth the cost of WOF and more expensive rego. Not to mention you'd hardly go any faster, still wouldn't take it on the motorway, etc. If you want a motorbike get a motorbike.

If you still want more power from your 50 get a bigger carburettor and keep it as a MOPED.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by delusionz View Post
    Dude, You can register your 50 as a MOPED. You could fit a 70cc crank/piston/barrel/head/manifold kit onto your 50cc transmission case but it wouldn't be worth the cost of WOF and more expensive rego. Not to mention you'd hardly go any faster, still wouldn't take it on the motorway, etc. If you want a motorbike get a motorbike.

If you still want more power from your 50 get a bigger carburettor and keep it as a MOPED.
    Have checked with both Honda and VTNZ - even though they are a 50 they put out over 2kw hence are registered as a motorbike. Checked to see if chasis number is in the VTNZ system which it is as a motorbike. Unless I want to get low volume certification then cant go above 50cc.

Just went into Casabolts this morning about a new piston/rings etc and gasket kit and got told pretty abruptly going to cost lots (how much lots ffs!!!) and the guy was very unhelpful and grumpy. Not going back there unless absolutly desperate. Trying to convince the wife (Chaly was going to be for her) that not worth the effort and lets look at bikes.

Going to investigate a piston and gasket kit just so I can put it back together - if I can get it to run then all good and well but otherwise will likely end up on trade me.

Cheers R

Bike
    1989 Honda CBR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    Have checked with both Honda and VTNZ - even though they are a 50 they put out over 2kw hence are registered as a motorbike. Checked to see if chasis number is in the VTNZ system which it is as a motorbike. Unless I want to get low volume certification then cant go above 50cc.

Just went into Casabolts this morning about a new piston/rings etc and gasket kit and got told pretty abruptly going to cost lots (how much lots ffs!!!) and the guy was very unhelpful and grumpy. Not going back there unless absolutly desperate. Trying to convince the wife (Chaly was going to be for her) that not worth the effort and lets look at bikes.

Going to investigate a piston and gasket kit just so I can put it back together - if I can get it to run then all good and well but otherwise will likely end up on trade me.

Cheers R

On my registration papers it has

Make - MOPED
    Model - Cruiser
    Vehicle Year - 2007
    CC Rating - 49
    Body Type - MOTORCYCLE
    Vehicle Usage - PRIVATE PASSENGER

Theres no body type called "moped" or "scooter", Maybe that's what's confusing you? Honest to god nobody checks your engine size. Power output is never recorded, it's impossible what are they going to do make everyone dyno test their vehicle before they can register it?

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    On my registration papers it has

Make - MOPED
    Model - Cruiser
    Vehicle Year - 2007
    CC Rating - 49
    Body Type - MOTORCYCLE
    Vehicle Usage - PRIVATE PASSENGER

Theres no body type called "moped" or "scooter", Maybe that's what's confusing you? Honest to god nobody checks your engine size. Power output is never recorded, it's impossible what are they going to do make everyone dyno test their vehicle before they can register it?
    Moped is not a body style it is a class of vehicle i.e. it is a motorcycle that you can ride on a car licence. See this link

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/43.html#isi

Cheers R

Bike
    -
    Woohoo! Are you sure you can handle the power, anyway? It looks like a bit of a torque-monster anyway:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2831109.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	56397  

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Thats the "beast". Slighly newer model as it has different headlight and exhaust. I though it looked kinda retro cool and should be a "little" bit faster than a moped so though what the hell lets see if I can get this on the road for the hell of it and cause it should cost next to nothing. Casabolts have kinda pissed me off at this stage though.

Cheers R

Bike
    1989 Honda CBR250R
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    Moped is not a body style it is a class of vehicle i.e. it is a motorcycle that you can ride on a car licence. See this link

http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/43.html#isi

Cheers R
    All 47cc+ motors are capable of over 2kW, That's why they are fitted with restrictors such as exhaust washers, smaller drive gears, CDI rev limiters. It's up to you to make sure these things are still intact *if* it's ever inspected.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    All 47cc+ motors are capable of over 2kW, That's why they are fitted with restrictors such as exhaust washers, smaller drive gears, CDI rev limiters. It's up to you to make sure these things are still intact *if* it's ever inspected.
    Yer but the chaly was never fitted with the restritors etc in the first place hence is was previously registered as a motorcycle - I've checked.

Cheers R

Bike
    1989 Honda CBR250R
    Makes sense now, I would still try to register it as a moped, perhaps the bike is out of tune from age and doesn't produce as much power as it did from the factory. if you are really forced to place restrictors or register it as a motorbike then you could probably go with a LIFAN or LONCIN 110cc or 125cc motor which are Honda replicas and will fit straight on. Try defyindustries.co.nz and newmanz.co.nz for these motors. They are roughly $500 for a full kit and will be well worth what you would have spent in time and money fucking around with restrictors and low power. You will have to weigh up low power, fitting restrictors and no wof/low rego with high power, no legal bullshit hassle but wof / expensive rego.

Thread Information