Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lane-Splitting offence

Bike
    Chainsaw i totally agree

mongooseeeey tottally disagree with ya dude

As people have said most cops cant be bothered!
    And my best mate is a cop too so.

Let it slide by.

I gotta say tho, WHY dont you block your number plate?????
    Exodus 18:11

Bike
    Cali 111 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by andy1
    Chainsaw i totally agree

Let it slide by.

All I can say to this is, take the gamble if you want, but remember all this advice to do nothing, who will come to your aid should it turn to custard? No bugger, there will be plenty of "SHIT, the bastards, never thought they would do that" etc, but you are the poor dude after paying the fine because no one else will help ya

Bike
    Sold
    ...I gotta say tho, WHY dont you block your number plate?????
    Hi Andy, I take it by "block your number plate" you mean to tape over it so it can't be read? Apparently many riders do this in South Africa according to a close source of mine.

The 1 & only reason I can think of for not doing this is that it is ILLEGAL, and if I was the cop who caught you I would throw the book at you!

Zed

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Chainsaw i totally agree

Let it slide by.

Danger Danger Will Robinson, more bad advice

You don't HAVE to be facing a driving charge to be served a notice requiring you to identify the driver of your car at a specific time/place!!!!!!!!!!!

and it's a bit late for him to block his number-plate.

and whose going to help pay the fine when he goes to court for failing to supply details?
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    BMW R65LS, part time R75 old fart rider
    I'm a fan of going in somewhere to explain your situation. It is harder for people to get pissed off at you if you go in in person. If there is a way to talk to the cop who wrote you this letter, do so, go in, be nice and explain that you were riding, dont admit to anything, but he may be happy just to give you a lecture, or even just say "well, actually we are obliged to send this letter, i thought it was silly..."
    Queiro voya todo Europa con mi moto.... pero no tengo suficiente tiempo o dinero.....

Bike
    blocking ur number - i mean put ur WOF slightly over one number. Ive actually been pulled over (only because i matched a description of a robbery in the Ellerslie area) As they were writing my details they said my last letter was R but actually it was B

Just something you could try.
    Exodus 18:11

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    cam't beat 20-20 hindsight eh people????
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    hey guys,
    thanks for all the ideas and information. Called the guy (the cop) today and it turns out he was driving home from work when he saw me, hence no action at the time - anyway he's a dog handler not a patrol officer. Basically he judged what i was doing as dangerous and acted as he saw fit. I got off with a warning after a short lecture. When asked why i was doing it, i commented on aucklands rather crap weather during that week and he seemed to sympathize , but otherwise was just a good guy making sure that i dont go killing myself in rushhour auckland traffic and causing yet another block up on our shitty motorways!!!
    lucky one this time
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    Cali 111 Guzzi
    Quote Originally Posted by gareth_d
    hey guys,
    thanks for all the ideas and information. Called the guy (the cop) today and it turns out he was driving home from work when he saw me, hence no action at the time - anyway he's a dog handler not a patrol officer. Basically he judged what i was doing as dangerous and acted as he saw fit. I got off with a warning after a short lecture. When asked why i was doing it, i commented on aucklands rather crap weather during that week and he seemed to sympathize , but otherwise was just a good guy making sure that i dont go killing myself in rushhour auckland traffic and causing yet another block up on our shitty motorways!!!
    lucky one this time
    Glad that is all it worked out to be gareth. A lecture costs you nothing but a bit of time, however in this case doing nothing may have cost you a sight more.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw
    if it is an infringement notice, the fine must be specified
    a letter saying you have to identify the rider sounds weird - have you read it right?
    what section of the transport act or traffic regs sets a 10 grand fine for not replying to a letter that is neither an infringement notice or a summons ?
    it should state it on your letter.

for careless use, the burden is on the prosecution to prove your actions were not those of a careful and prudent driver. surely a motorcyclist can manoevre between lanes carefully and prudently. Plead not guilty, play the adjournment game, string it out for as long as you can and they will either lose the file or the cop will be transferred or their evidence (a witness) will not be available.

you have a right to remain silent. I would be interested to know what the statute reference is for demanding identity of a driver / rider if no proceedings have been commenced.

118.Owner or hirer to give information as to identity of driver or passenger—
    (1)If an enforcement officer has reasonable cause to believe that the driver of a vehicle has committed an offence while in charge of the vehicle, the officer may request the owner or hirer of the vehicle to give all information in his or her possession or obtainable by him or her which may lead to the identification and apprehension of the driver of the vehicle.

(3)A request under subsection (1) or subsection (2) may be made orally or in writing and the owner or hirer (as the case may be) must comply with the request within 14 days.

52.Contravening notices, requirements, etc, given or imposed by enforcement officers—

(1)A person commits an offence if the person—
    (c)Fails or refuses to comply with any lawful requirement, direction, notice, request, or prohibition given to or imposed on him or her under this Act by an enforcement officer or a dangerous goods enforcement officer; or

(2)The maximum penalty on conviction for an offence against subsection (1) is a fine not exceeding $10,000.

Bike
    Cali 111 Guzzi
    Well done Marty, wonder how many still doubt the valued advice you and others gave now?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    probably only chainsaw and andy1.....

Bike
    Shanksters Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by wari
    STandoverSCaremTacktics® ...
    No, its the law. Section 118 Land Transport Act if you can be fecked looking it up.

Bike
    Shanksters Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by aff-man
    yip i agree with Zed and Zapf. It was probably someone dobbing you in because they couldn't do it.
    Didn't he already say it was an off duty dog handler that saw him??

Bike
    Shanksters Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed
    Hi Andy, I take it by "block your number plate" you mean to tape over it so it can't be read? Apparently many riders do this in South Africa according to a close source of mine.

The 1 & only reason I can think of for not doing this is that it is ILLEGAL, and if I was the cop who caught you I would throw the book at you!

Zed
    A personal favourite - no discretion for those cretins!!

Thread Information