Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CB250RS café racer project

Bike
    -

CB250RS café racer project

Well, it's started. Engine's not done yet, no no no; but even if it still leaks oil and is a bitch to start, by the time I finish the project I'm beginning here it will just be in character.

This thread is going to be like a log, or journal. I know a KB blog would be slightly better for this, but nobody would ever read it and all I really want is to be loved

Well anyway, I've begun. Got two packages today; a pair of classic bar-end mirrors from the USA via eBay, and a pair of GB400/500 clip-ons via Trademe.

The bar-end mirrors are lovely. They arrived first, so I fitted them to my original bars. I had to cut holes in the grips and pull a plug out of the left bar (the right plug disappeared after my crash). I flipped them down, so the mirrors were hanging below the bars for a really low profile. Very pretty, I thought; however the glass was that horrible magnifying stuff, so the single cylinder thumps made them next to useless at low revs (not that I use mirrors much; I turn my head mostly).

While I was down in South Auckland getting some machining done on a tap, I picked up my package from the post-office. GB400/500 clip-ons; the left one bent. This was an arsehole of a job. Dropped the forks down the triple clamps so I could sneak the clip-ons in-between the clamps, got them on, tightened them up -- oh shit, they're too big! Rode somebody else's mountain bike down the road (cor! hard work) and bought a can of Coke, which I couldn't drink; emptied the can, then cut it up for use as a shim for my too-skinny forks (thank-you Zen and Art! One of the few practical things in that book). I don't like it; it seems dodgy, and isn't quite thick enough -- I had to do a few loops of aluminium can, and I can tighten the locknut all the way up without too much sweat. However the bars seem secure. They're way down the forks, otherwise they interfere with the indicators -- further than I liked. Took the bike for a spin along `my' waterfront (GiJoe knows it now) -- you feel like some Manx lunatic even below 70kph. Awesome sensation of speed, and very flickable. I can see I'll look like Quasimodo after a few kms, but hell, I'm young.

I've read on the internet about shimming clip-on bars with proper shimming metal. You can buy it in sizes. I want some of this stuff -- where can I buy it in NZ? And does anybody know how wide CB250RS forks are? I don't have calipers, and used dress-makers tape to make an inaccurate circumference which gave me about 33mm or something. Haynes makes no mention.

So yeah, I've got the first few things on my list done. Next up is a headlight and instrument cluster; the square ones looked period along with the rest of the bike and the old bars and mirrors, but now they look quite ridiculous. My research suggests a CB250N headlight would work quite nicely. Saw a gorgeous replica Smith Chronometric Speedometer on Trademe (quite a few on eBay too), but the price was astronomical. Don't think I need a rev counter; I know the noises and pitch of the engine, and it gets quite breathy up top anyway, so I'm in no danger of red-lining the engine without knowing it. Will of course need some little indicators too, which I think you can attach to those universal headlight mounting brackets (which clip on to the forks, too) I'll need for a headlight.

After that; the seat. This will really transform the bike's looks. Of course, with that, comes a lot of work -- tail light, indicators, number plate, mudguard (do I need one?). At some point I'm going to dump the battery. Oh yeah, pod filter and exhausts. Bidding half-heartedly on some Dunstall replicas on Trademe. Hope I can nab them for cheap. Bike's already lean as it is, so I'll really need to do some carb work. Maybe get an XR250/350 carb? Lots of jets and things for those. Would get a Keihin FCR if I were a millionaire .

P.S. Yep, I'm wearing that `Hallenstein's' jacket I crashed in infamously, but no, I didn't wear that on the bike. Save your safety nazi comments -- Quasimoto has had me kitted up on his purse for a while now, bless that man!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030013small.JPG 
Views:	505 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	56289   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030019small.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	56290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030020small.JPG 
Views:	238 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	56291  

Bike
    -
    Oh yeah. You think the tank will look really out of place if I leave it standard? Kind of reticent to change the tank; not cheap, and not easy to do.

Planning to make everything bolt on/bolt off for things like WOF so I conver it back to standard -- although I could most likely get away with many things, like the clip-ons and headlight.

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    You rock. As you were soldier! ... must spread bling around like a blingwhore before blinging blingee...
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    Trumpton triple
    Coming along nicely.

The nekkid bandits have round headlights with indicators each side, thru the mounting clips. Might be worth keeping an eye out for one of those at a wreckers, or Trademe.

Bike
    Registered. For now...
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    I don't have calipers,
    Buy some. You can get a perfectly adequate set for around 30 clams. You will use them plenty on your project(s), and they may save you wasting time and money on stuff that doesn't fit.
    ACC - It's where the Enron accountants all went.

Bike
    -
    Bandit, Bandit, Bandit, Bandit. H'ok. Don't forget.

$30 for a set of calipers? I asked my Uncle about his, and he said he bought them for some astronomical price... I suppose that was a long time ago, lol Alright, I better pick up a set then.

Ta.

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Nice project there. Auckland Engineering Supplies (AES) sell shim steel but its not cheap - probably as much as you payed for the clip ons. You definately don't want them moving around or dropping on forks. How about raising the forks (or dropping the Yolks) through the clamps and fitting them on top of your yoke? As long as this doesn't mean your forks bottom out you should be safe. It would take some of the strain off the clip ons as you will be pushing them down onto the yolk. Also there is a threaded hole on the bottom of them you might be able to make a locking bolt and clamp to stop them moving around.

Cheers

John

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I have a magazine somewhere where a guy did a straight bolt up with a XR500 motor into a CB250RS frame. absolutely minimal work required. I will try and find it. think of the torques you would have. HP wouldnt be much different I wouldnt think.

also, thats cool that bike.

You might also pick up a pair of GB400 forks for cheap or a whole front end.

a pair of cheap - ish measuring sticks can be had from places like George Henry or your local engineering supplier. I have Kinchrome pair which are perfectly adequate for what I use them for.... we arent tool and die makers (least I am not) or aeronautical engineers, so cheapish is generally adequate.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbuoy View Post
    Nice project there. Auckland Engineering Supplies (AES) sell shim steel but its not cheap - probably as much as you payed for the clip ons. You definately don't want them moving around or dropping on forks. How about raising the forks (or dropping the Yolks) through the clamps and fitting them on top of your yoke? As long as this doesn't mean your forks bottom out you should be safe. It would take some of the strain off the clip ons as you will be pushing them down onto the yolk. Also there is a threaded hole on the bottom of them you might be able to make a locking bolt and clamp to stop them moving around.

Cheers

John
    I thought about putting them on top of the yokes -- would drop the front of the bike, too, might look quite cool. Would still be worried about indicator clearance issues, but it might be OK on top. Don't think the forks would bottom out -- you can see where the fork leg has been going up and down the fork (it's smooth there, compared to the top which is slightly pitted).

Yeah I only want a tiny bit of the shim metal -- just enough to go once around the forks on both sides. Found a couple of places, but they seem to sell it by the square metre . What do people recommend for making an `expander' or whatever like this that is thicker (say, 2 or 3 times thicker) than aluminium coke can? Maybe I should resell the clipons -- the left one is slightly bent (although I just adjust it further forward and it's perfect), so I got them for quite a good price I thought -- then buy some proper ones. I think my forks might be 32mm?

Do you mean the threaded hole in the bottom of the clipons? My ones have got this funny star-headed bolt in them, I don't know what it's for. I don't think I'd have a problem with them moving around so long as I got some proper shim stuff and could really crack them down tight. Another thought that just popped into my head -- the headlight clamps you see for forks often have rubber inserts. Would this work on clipons? Don't imagine it'd move around at all. The only bastard would be getting the stuff in -- might have to pry the clipons open with a screwdriver, as the rubber would compress down.

Cheers. Seeing your CB750 was the inspiration to get off my butt and do something with my girl.

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I have a magazine somewhere where a guy did a straight bolt up with a XR500 motor into a CB250RS frame. absolutely minimal work required. I will try and find it. think of the torques you would have. HP wouldnt be much different I wouldnt think.

also, thats cool that bike.

You might also pick up a pair of GB400 forks for cheap or a whole front end.

a pair of cheap - ish measuring sticks can be had from places like George Henry or your local engineering supplier. I have Kinchrome pair which are perfectly adequate for what I use them for.... we arent tool and die makers (least I am not) or aeronautical engineers, so cheapish is generally adequate.
    Hahaha I was looking at a CB500RS conversion when I blew up my motor. Thought if I had to do an engine transplant, I might as well go the whole way lol. Managed to sort of fix the engine so it runs (still needs a lot of work), so that plan fell by the wayside. No, HP isn't much different -- about 35HP I think compared to 26-30HP for mine, but I imagine that the torque would be mountainous. I love singles!

Wouldn't mind a GB400 front end, especially as my front brake is pretty inadequate (always were apparently, from new). However I really doubt I'd be able to afford it; besides, flexing and twisting from the front end is just character, right? To buy an entire front end just to make my cheap clipons fit would be a wonderfully me thing to do, however.

I'll get some calipers after the girlfriend's b'day this Sunday. [Got her on the back of the bike around some quiet local streets for the first time this week -- she had a ball and wants to ride more! So getting a single seat may be a priority ]

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Cheers mate,

31mm forks? If its the same as the nighthawks -

www.ohiocaferacers.com

Goto technical stuff and fork sizes - listed by diameters. Got lots of inspiration from these guys. Big isn't always best the CB400's and 350's these guys do are stunning - almost beautifull (Ok maybe thats getting carried away... you know what I mean though).

Cheers

John

Bike
    -
    I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same as the CB[250/400]N, it was in the same year lineup as my bike for a while. Other parts look shared.

Cheers for that link -- the rearsets look interesting. After doing a motorway run today, I found my legs were far more comfortable on the pillion pegs. But that is in the current setup; once bars are where I want them, and I have a Manx-style seat, then I'll worry about where my feet are.

Just got a nice cheque from the Justice department (don't know why everybody complains about jury service being poor pay -- I got more than I do for my part-time job, lol), so I'll have a bit more to throw around once it clears. Would rather the engine is sorted first, though.

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    Get some Koni's (IKON these days) for the back - worth their weight in gold. And they are relatively heavy. Its almost compulsory on a cafe job.
    Turned my gb from a commuting sack of crap to a wheel standing, good traction monster.
    Also ditch that headlight (sorry if you have mentioned this allready - im drinkin), and get either 1 or 2 nice round chrome jobs.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    Get some Koni's (IKON these days) for the back - worth their weight in gold. And they are relatively heavy. Its almost compulsory on a cafe job.
    Turned my gb from a commuting sack of crap to a wheel standing, good traction monster.
    Also ditch that headlight (sorry if you have mentioned this allready - im drinkin), and get either 1 or 2 nice round chrome jobs.
    Lol yes I am after some headlights. I think I'll stick to just the one headlight, not really after a streetfighter look.

Those Koni's sound delicious. Again, though, that'll have to wait til later on when I've at least got the bike running well and looking half-respectable. The standard rear shocks are horrific; FVQs, which are infamous (Fade Very Quickly).

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    Lol yes I am after some headlights. I think I'll stick to just the one headlight, not really after a streetfighter look.

Those Koni's sound delicious. Again, though, that'll have to wait til later on when I've at least got the bike running well and looking half-respectable. The standard rear shocks are horrific; FVQs, which are infamous (Fade Very Quickly).
    Stuff the Konis( my prefereded twin shock btw), MDIs are dirt cheap and come in a variaty of combination springs. Dunstall rep (WFO marketed by Emgo as are the MDI shocks) mufflers should be available for around $120 or less from your bike shop.

Projects coming along. It's also worth considering "ace" style tubular handle bars.

Thread Information