Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference between a shovel-head and an iron-head?

The first Sportsters were 883,AMF made the 1,000cc because capacities were ramping up in that era.When they made the Evo they used 883 as a ''traditional'' capacity.

Cast iron Sporty's take some serious commitment,I would far rather own a Britsh bike from the same era than a cast iron Sportster.They have quite a bizare agucultural design....sorta,let's put this bit on here,and then bolt this over here.Seems to be no conceptual design of a complete bike like a British bike.They can be made to make a shit load of real power that is far far to much for the bike to handle - it's a real spincture clampng rush to unleash a well worked iron sporty on a straight road....I just haven't got what it takes to attempt even a moderate speed in a corner.

An Evo 883 is possibly one of my favorite bikes to ride.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    a friend of my partners has an ironhead sport. he loves it. causes no end of troubles, but he still loves. its magneto run, so if you want the bike running, you dont have lights. if you want lights, you dont have a bike. lol.
    he let me attempt to kick it over once...damn thing bit back! still a kool bike though. id have one from a collector point of view, but i wouldnt ride it.

saw an aermacchi 250 in a mechanics a while back...cool that its a 250 "harley" but its butt ugly.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    What about this:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...px?id=91882530
    It's a bit more than my budget and it's an interesting shade of fluorescent orange but the mileage is low and it's and evo isn't it?
    Pity it's in Invercargil, too far to take a look.

Bike
    Tojo and nothing. Damnit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Now all I have to work out is the whole Fatboy, Lowboy, Tallboy, Fatbob, Shortbob, Wetbob, Road King, Road Queen stuff.
    You forgot 'spongebob'.

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Then have I got the bike for you - 1200, twin disc front, top order, looks like new.

Oh, of course, it's an Evo.............

Actually had a think about that, SD but having the option of a brand new cruiser at the price I was offered and the better pillion seat made the difference. As I said, though, if I was a bit richer...
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    RF900 /cbr1100xx/GAS GAS 250
    simple get a V rod!
    its Crazy Big Al but if your have lesbian fantasies you can read it crazy bi gal if you like!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired1 View Post
    What about this:
    It's a bit more than my budget and it's an interesting shade of fluorescent orange but the mileage is low and it's and evo isn't it?
    Pity it's in Invercargil, too far to take a look.
    Evo.... but 4 speed. Hence the price. I wouldn't go there either.
    I wouldn't touch one pre 1990 and for less than $9-$10 grand. You simply cannot get a half decent HD for less. Anything cheaper than that will cost you much, much more in the long run. Pay the dearer price, get a good bike that you can ride around for a couple of years, sell privately for what you paid for it, and then buy another one a couple of years newer, for the same price, straight away. Kind of like a free upgrade!

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Yeah I wish I could be that patient, I've always found that the best cure for temptation is to give in to it.
    Anyone out there know this bike or could have a look at it for me?
    The seller is in Invercargil.

Bike
    Yeah I wish I could be that patient, I've always found that the best cure for temptation is to give in to it.
    Anyone out there know this bike or could have a look at it for me?
    The seller is in Invercargil.
    Well at least its an Evo and the seller doesn't seem to be overvaluing it.
    But it is still an old 883 four speed so it'll be a very sedate ride.
    It will probably cost you a fair bit of money too. You might kick yourself for not spending that extra couple of grand now and getting a five speed. A bit more now could mean a lot less in the long run.
    Good luck.

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Thanks for the advice, at least I didn't buy the ironhead!

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    I know a few people who ride iron head Sporty's and have had a good run out of them, but admittedly they don't tour on them. They also tend to need some tinkering. On the other hand my lady has a '96 Sporty (Evo) that started life as an 883, now with a 1200 kit and it's been a fabulous bike. Nimble, peppy and utterly reliable. While the engine is still solid (as opposed to rubber) mounted she tours quite a bit with me, planted on a more comfy, well padded solo seat. Around town it gets a more attractive 'Gunfighter-style' seat. You get the 'Sporster buzz' after a couple of hours but so what? Even with a larger Custom Chrome tank she's nearly due for gas by then anyway and it's leg-stretch time.

A 1200 kit is the best thing to add to an 883 if you can find a bargain but it's probably best to hunt down a 1200 in the first place if you're not into spanner throwing.

Just for the record; about two and half years ago my lady paid 10g's for a 96 Sporty, 1200 kit, Screaming Eagle airbox, forward controls, Harris 2-into-1, sexy Custom Chrome tank with flush-mount gas filler and two seats.

Bike
    something quick
    Yep re the flat-head stuff - all hot-rod and motorbike types into 'old-stuff'refer to a side-valve as a 'flathead' .

An Iron-head? yep, because it's cast iron.

But the age-brackets of each? - you're on your own and need to google them, I know most but likely to get one or two a year or so out - and then hooo-boy! the KB pedants will home in for the kill!!
    flat head 1929-1973
    knucklehead 1936-1947
    panhead 1948-1965
    shovelhead 1966-1983
    and then evo, twin cam and the new 96 revolution

Just some useless info from my harley poster.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf.47 View Post
    flat head 1929-1973
    knucklehead 1936-1947
    panhead 1948-1965
    shovelhead 1966-1983
    and then evo, twin cam and the new 96 revolution

Just some useless info from my harley poster.
    What were the cut-off dates for the various Sporty engines??
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    something quick
    What were the cut-off dates for the various Sporty engines??
    don't know sorry, would have to google that one.
    Try This
    http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...orty_stock.htm

Just found this one
    http://www.sportster.org/history/

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    So you don't like iron heads?
    What about the 883 sportster. A bit smaller in cc's but these are an evo right?

883's are fine but you'll probably soon get bored. Better to find a 1200 and ease into it. For a daily rider/short trip cruiser the Evo Sporty is actually quite good value.

The people I know with Ironhead Sporty's don't need bike shops other than to buy parts. They, like me, have learned how to read, bought some workshop manuals and accumulated some tools. It depends on how keen you are to get your hands dirty and also how well you want to get to know your bike. Whatever you buy get a manual for it and at least do the basic maintenace thing yourself.

Thread Information