Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the difference between a shovel-head and an iron-head?

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Well I've bought the 883 so that settles that. I'm not shy to have a go at fixing anything and I've got me the dealer workshop manual so she's all looking good. Thanks for the help and advice and extremes of opinions!

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    The descriptions were also based on the appearance of the motors. What the rocker covers reminded people of, eg. Panhead, knucklehead, etc.
    So, on that basis, are there Harley turtleheads?
    Shit-heads?
    Dickheads?
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

You can call them what you like - but until they are used by everyone,they will ask you what the fuck you are talking about.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired1 View Post
    Well I've bought the 883 so that settles that. I'm not shy to have a go at fixing anything and I've got me the dealer workshop manual so she's all looking good. Thanks for the help and advice and extremes of opinions!

You'll get extremes here alright.

I just got a text from a mate in Wellington. He's scored an 01 Sporty 1200, forward controls, twin plug heads, 18k on the clock and's parted with just 11g's. Good deals are out there.

Bike
    That 4 speed one on tardme?

Check this out, full of useful stuff...

http://www.sportster.org/tech/

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Dunno where he found it, he didn't say except that it was in Wellington. I doubt a 2001 would be a 4-spd.

Thanks, I've seen that website before, we were looking at breathing mod's for the girls 1200. Haven't had time to sift through everything there yet. Interesting though.

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    So, on that basis, are there Harley turtleheads?
    Shit-heads?
    Dickheads?
    Shitheads and dickheads? You get them on any bike, unfortunately. Turtleheads fall out of the bum.

Bike
    1983 XV 750 Midnight Special 883 Hugger

And when is the pic of the 883 coming ?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by peasea View Post
    Dunno where he found it, he didn't say except that it was in Wellington. I doubt a 2001 would be a 4-spd.
    Sorry mate, I was asking about Wired1's one.

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    As an aside, what's the Nelson HD riding scene doing of late? We're moving in that direction come the New Year (early, new year, maybe as early as Christmas) and have heard the 'Mot' boys are a laid back bunch. Didn't they host the Canaan Downs gigs way back in the early 80's?

Bike
    1972 Yamaha XS2 650
    Here's some pics of the new bike. I like it, you never know what you are getting into when you buy off turdme but I think she's a goody. There are a few things to tidy up but it wouldn't be any fun of there weren't. Apparently there are 1200 Harleys in the top of the South Island so this place must be a bit of a magnet for them, probably the endless sunshine and long summer days! yeah right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harley 002 (Small).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	58304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harley 005.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	58305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harley 008 (Small).jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	58306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Harley 003.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	58307  

Bike
    Looks pretty tidy from the pics. Good one.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Here's some pics of the new bike. I like it, you never know what you are getting into when you buy off turdme but I think she's a goody. There are a few things to tidy up but it wouldn't be any fun of there weren't. Apparently there are 1200 Harleys in the top of the South Island so this place must be a bit of a magnet for them, probably the endless sunshine and long summer days! yeah right.
    So any of your mates wanting a mint-as genyouwine 1200 Sporty 'S', NZ new??

(hint-hint, give me a PM)
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    My lady has a 1200 Sporty, good bike. You'll have some fun on that, far more nimble than the big blocks and they respond to performance tweaking very well. However, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Enjoy your ride and we'll be in your area come the new year. Permanently. We're looking forward to meeting Nelson bikers.

Bike
    88 HD

What the ?

What a mine of information thanks.
    So what's with the AMF era bikes? I'm looking at a '78 panhead 1000 sporty and have heard that this is not the best age Harley to buy. Any thoughts? biased opinions welcome...
    Hmmm never heard of one of these ,maybe you mean a 78 1000 Ironhead Sporty some call them shovelhead sportsters as one previous post said the AMF era bikes did have problems which should have been sorted by now ,as for repairs don't darken a dealers doorstep as they won't look at it just too old but there are loads of other places you can take it to . If you are serious on a sporty the ask someone who really knows them to advise you what is the best to buy

Thread Information