Thread: Wouldn't You Know It?!?!?

Bike
    Triumph Daytona 650 in RED

Angry Wouldn't You Know It?!?!?

The weather finally fines up for a weekend .... and I'M WORKING!

And just when the "soul recharge" I get from riding my bike is really needed too.
    "Women & cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." Bruce Graham

Bike
    Vindication!!!

It had clouded over and was raining lightly, but steadily when I went out for my 1pm ciggie break.

"Women & cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." Bruce Graham

Bike
    XJR1200, Honda CB1/400
    8:00 a.m: leave Auckland, headed for Tauranga in the car with the wife: family duty, can't get out of it, hope my resentment doesn't show too much, especially when we are passed by several bikes, in glorious sunshine. Just before the Bombays it starts to rain. Yes!! smug smile of self-satisfaction. It's going to be wet and miserable, glad I'm not on the bike.
    10:30: arrive in Tauranga, in glorious sunshine again. The rain amounted to a few minutes of light drizzle. Drat!! But wait, what's this in the boot? Helmet, boots, jacket...
    "Just going to check out a few bike shops, dear..." Off to Bay Ride to test ride a couple of 1200s. Still glorious sunshine. Would be almost perfect, except that Tauranga traffic is almost as bad as Auckland.
    3:00 p.m.: head back to Auckland, weather overcast, a few spots of rain. Turns to steady drizzle as we arrrive home. All in all not a wasted day after all. Highlight of the day: approaching Tauranga's busiest intersection on a Yamaha XJR1200 when the engine conks out. Admittedly the guage was in the red, and it was on reserve, but "There's plenty of gas", the salesman had said, "I can hear it sloshing in the tank."
    Fortunately I wasn't far from the shop, but pushing an XJR1200 even half a kilometre or so is not an experience I want to repeat in a hurry! Nice, bike, though (when it goes).

Bike
    Well done, Mike! It sounds like you managed to meld the perfect balance between obligation & fun.

It's hard to tell what the weather's going to do today, but it was obviously clear as a bell overnight, cos there was a decent fog laid down when I walked out of the house at 7am.

Bike
    XJR1200, Honda CB1/400
    Just got back from the Ulysses Pizza Run to Waipu. A unique occasion: not a single drop of rain all day
    Well, there was a bit of fog that reduced visibility on the harbour bridge to about 3 millimetres...
    But otherwise a great day!

Yamahamaman Guest
    Originally posted by MikeL
    Pizza Run to Waipu
    What's a Pizza Run?

Or is that Waipu has a great pizza joint?

Bike
    XJR1200, Honda CB1/400
    Yes.
    Great pizzas - no other excuse needed for a ride to Waipu. Sometimes the quality of food available at these small country places amazes me. My god, you can get a decent flat white almost anywhere these days. Why put up with the poseurs of Ponsonby Road when you can get the same thing without the attitude at Te Awamutu or Waipu??
    Except that when 40 or so hungry and thirsty bikers descend unanounced on a small country cafe you can't expect to get your pizza in under an hour... But it was worth the wait.
    Only down side: about 2 k's of road works on some road between somewhere or other and Waipu (I usually end up with only the vaguest idea of where I've been - just follow the others) which left me and the bike covered in a thick grey deposit. Arriving home I felt obliged to actually clean the bike. Hope it doesn't become a habit.

Bike
    Good news.

The weather was holding fair when I left work, so I headed home, determined to go for a much needed ride on my bike. I completed the fastest change into motorcycle gear ever accomplished, and went for a blat to Raglan and back.

It was nice to see other bikers out and about too.

Yamahamaman Guest
    MikeL - sounds like the pizza run was a spur of the moment thing.

Went out Saturday and got caught in the rain. Leathers are still hanging up drying. Sunday was a great day for a ride, pitty I needed to clean the bike which feels like a waste of time after commuting to CBD and back in this glorious Auckland weather.

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    Well Saturday was uneventful for me. 

Loaded the trusty RGV250 into the van and headed off to Pukekohe with a close eye on the skies.

Get to Puke, unload the bike and still contemplating whether to hand over my $80.

Decide to fork over my $80, head out for the first session and notice my bike is only running on 1 cylinder so I head back in after the 2 lap.

Starts pissing down - spent the rest of the day trying to get my bike running while waiting for it to clear up.

End up going home at 2pm with 2 laps on 1 cyclinder to show for my $80

Saw Mitch having a grand time swinging on a sidecar tho!!

Good news was that my mechanic worked out what was wrong on his 2nd guess while watching me toil later that night.  After all this raw fuel starts coming out the exhaust he goes "I bet you didn't tighten the main jet properly the other week and now its worked loose".  I pulled off the carb and straight away heard rattling noises inside.  Closer inspection showed that he was almost right....I had overtightened the jet and it had snapped off 2 months down the line.

Good thing was I had a spare carb in the garage and all up it cost me nothing to fix (cept I have to replace 2 platinum spark plugs $25 ea which fouled up from too much fuel dammit!!)

Thread Information