Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to remove a helmet from an injured rider

Bike
    nil
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    You can understand them saying that and it's a fair call when life is not at threat. However, with brain damage occuring after 4 minutes of no breathing, if it was Mrs Oakie lying on the road with her lid on and not breathing I have no doubt about what I'd do ... and it wouldn't be sitting quietly waiting for the ambos to arrive.
    I guess I'm just lucky I went to a Red Cross course instead of St John's. The Red Cross guys had no problem with us doing it with the proviso that it was only when essential to maintain an airway.
    18 secs without oxygen CAN cause damage
    Last edited by Blondini; 24th March 2007 at 20:16. Reason: wording

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    I'd never really thought about roadside dramas until they happened. Now my other half always packs a 1st Aid kit and she's done the yards to know how to use it. She's a handy riding buddy, apart from anything else. Years ago I was in a situation, five bikes (out of 13, not a good number, I know) went down, including mine (two-up) and I was amazed at how panic set in so quickly. I was (without being big-headed) one of the few to keep a cool head, laying people out and throwing jackets on the injured. We were lucky to have only minor injuries (my front end was rooted though) but if I'd known then what I know now (thanks to an enlightened, trained lady) things would have gone more smoothly. Carry a kit; know how to use it; you could save a life. AND!!!!! Give blood every three months, we do. Where are the blood runs????

Bike
    CBR250RR
    Cheers for that. Will always remember that

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by peasea View Post
    Give blood every three months, we do. Where are the blood runs????
    Here

BRONZ (Auckland) Inc – 51st Blood Run
    Tuesday 17 April 2007 6-8pm
    Bi-Annual Blood Run
    Blood Donor Centre
    71 Great South Road, Epsom
    Main attractions - chocolate biscuits and the great feeling that you have helped someone.
    Any motorcyclist/scooterist/triker welcome to donate blood with us.
    No Charge. Bookings not essential.
    For further information email bronzauckland@hotmail.com or Ph Peggy 09 638 9227 or 021 523 976
    BRONZ (Auckland) Inc – 52nd Blood Run
    Tuesday 16 October 2007 6-8pm
    Bi-Annual Blood Run
    Blood Donor Centre
    71 Great South Road, Epsom
    Main attractions - chocolate biscuits and the great feeling that you have helped someone.
    Any motorcyclist/scooterist/triker welcome to donate blood with us.
    No Charge. Bookings not essential.
    For further information email bronzauckland@hotmail.com or Ph Peggy 09 638 9227 or 021 523 976

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by El Dopa View Post
    Thanks Riff Raff.

If the rider is wearing a flip front lid, presumably it's best to leave the lid in place on their head and just flip the front up to clear the airway, start recuss, etc?

This is assuming everything necessary can be done leaving the helmet in place but just flipping up the front.
    I attended a first aid course a couple of years ago. both days i came with bike gear on and in the final exercise I suited up and played the dummy.

My first aiders were told i was breathing and there were scuff marks on my helmet. After about 1 minute of them trying to pull my flip top off without flipping the top (it's impossible). I got up told them to pretend i was still there and keep working on me. I wandered over to the instructor and told him the class was trying to revive a corpse, oh, and have you got anything for a strained neck?

Stickers with I.C.E instructions would be a good thing on a lid
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    1976 Goldwing GL1000; 1989 Yamaha XT600
    Interesting thread, to re-phrase what has been said before:

leave the victim where they are unless there is an immediate threat to life.

This applies to just about any accident.

I have been first on the scene for a few different accidents, the most important thing to do is get help on its way ASAP
    If you can't be good, be good at it

Bike
    A chubby lollipop
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Thanks for that info. We donate up here on the Shore and once you're on their list they will call and remind you when you can donate again. It really is a commuinity service and only takes a few minutes. Hope you're all donors!

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    Cheers Riff Raff, looks like a sensible way to approach it if it needs doing. It is one of the things that tends to scare the crap out of people, thinking about having to do it, the more information the better.

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not paying attention!"
    "There is no limit to dumb."

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Idea! Why don't we all get our lids out over the next couple of days and practice on someone just so we know what to expect should we ever have to do it for real?
    I think I'll do that with Mrs Oakie tonight ... and once I've got her lid off, just for the sake of realism, I might conduct a secondary survey from top to toe just to check her out for other injuries.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondini View Post
    18 secs without oxygen will cause damage
    sooo that means that the free divers are all brain damaged?

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    I practiced removing the crash helmet from Mrs Oakie last night with #1 daughter's help. Quite do-able as long as one person takes charge and the other person just does as they're told. Took about 40 seconds to remove.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakie View Post
    Idea! Why don't we all get our lids out over the next couple of days and practice on someone just so we know what to expect should we ever have to do it for real?
    I think I'll do that with Mrs Oakie tonight ... and once I've got her lid off, just for the sake of realism, I might conduct a secondary survey from top to toe just to check her out for other injuries.
    Excellent idea. I'm going to do just that tonight (not to Mrs Oakie of course)

Another idea: Next time you're in a bike shop, take a look at the various helmets and the mechanisms they use to either flip the top or just to flip the visor up. Some of them have a little toggle thing that has to be unlocked before you can open the visor. Even if you're not going to remove the helmet, you need to know how to flip the visor up just to communicate easily with the person.
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

Bike
    '89 cbr250 i/e
    nice one.a sticker with information would be great. they need this in the road code!

Bike
    R6 & RGV250
    The chances of a rider having a c-spine injury in a motorcycle accident are relatively low in comparison to having an airway problem (usually caused by helmet strap). So I will reiterate the fact that airway comes before anything else. Remember the ABCs of first aid (Airway, Breathing, Circulation).

Good on all of you who have started practising helmet removal. You should all be trying it, and go over it again every few months so you can do it in an emergency.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    If hadn't woken up and taken off my helmet myself I'd be paralysed from the neck down. The well meaning bystanders were trying to take my helmet off without undoing the strap. I had two fractures in my C-spine, that only just held in there.

Please, please be bloody careful.

The following statement will upset some people: I'd rather be dead than a Christopher Reeves.

There's a good diagram on how to take a helmet off in the latest AMCN.

If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Thread Information