'01 Yamaha YZFR6
    Blog Entries
    Cheers mate

THE FOUR RULES OF EXPLORING THIS AMAZING COUNTRY OF NZ
    RIDE SAFE, RIDE HARD, RIDE FREE

and try not sound so route 51 american brudda

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Well I got to take an injured rider's helmet off for real yesterday. I was fortunate that he was conscious and had actually asked me to take it off so I didn't have to make the call on an unconscious rider. I asked him if he would rather take it off himself but he told me to do it so .... I did. Undid the strap, spread the sides of the lid, tilted it back a little and what do you know ... slipped off just like peeling the shell off a hard boiled egg.
    I was so pleased that my last First Aid course covered this and once again pleasantly surprised that in a situation like this the training kicks in and you just do what needs to be done without really having to think too hard about it.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    Well done Oakie! One of those things you hope you'll never have to do. The injured rider was lucky to have you there.

James, I didn't know you were a lesbian?
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    I'm trapped in a man's body!
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    1997 Kawasaki ER-5
    My 50c worth (as a qualified paramedic)...
    1. ONLY remove it if the airway is compromised.
    2. To do more damage to the neck, you usually have to do something worse than the original insult. I say "usually" because a small number of patients have an unstable fracture where only the bone (not the spinal cord) is damaged - excessive movement of these patients will worsen it.
    3. No airway - no patient! Paralysed is still alive. - it's not up to you to decide if paralysis is better than death...

Bike
    Pillion
    Clubbie you might be able to clarify.....have heard from friend (RN and First Aid trainer) that research is currently being done that the mouth to mouth part of CPR is to be eliminated and just chest compressions only to be done....would save removing the helmet at all if it was brought in

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by allycatz View Post
    Clubbie you might be able to clarify.....have heard from friend (RN and First Aid trainer) that research is currently being done that the mouth to mouth part of CPR is to be eliminated and just chest compressions only to be done....would save removing the helmet at all if it was brought in
    I've also heard that rumour. The theory goes (evidently) that the chest compressions are sufficient to move the diaphram and, hence, put air in the lungs.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    GSX-R400, DL650, Hondazuki TF 100
    Just to bring a fresh first aid course into it (a weeks or so ago...).

The same thing that's been said here was re-iterated.

Only take off the helmet in a suspected spinal case if you have to do CPR. Even then, it's a two person job. One guy secures the head, the other spreads the helmet with the straps and very gently "shuffles" the helmet off the injured rider. Once it's off, the head must NOT move, so some poor bugger's stuck holding the injured guys head.

Interestingly, even AFTER the injured guys head's been secured (with padding and towels and whatever else you can get your hands on) you still have to stay holding the head to stop the injured person moving it.

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Quote Originally Posted by =cJ= View Post
    Only take off the helmet in a suspected spinal case if you have to do CPR.
    Good points but....
    Just to make it absolutely clear to the non paramedics.....the only reason you're removing his helmet is that if it stays on he will die, ie. he needs CPR to stay alive.

Just a point tho, having succesfully removed his helmet and with one person holding his head you still have to rotate the head back to clear the airway and then vigourously bounce up and down on his chest (breaking ribs as you go) to achieve CPR.

Makes a bit of a mockery of preserving the spinal column intact....

However, as a first aider you can only do your best and a breathing parallysed person is better than a dead one.

Bike
    1995 Suzuki Volty (TU250)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    Good points but....
    Just to make it absolutely clear to the non paramedics.....the only reason you're removing his helmet is that if it stays on he will die, ie. he needs CPR to stay alive.

Just a point tho, having succesfully removed his helmet and with one person holding his head you still have to rotate the head back to clear the airway and then vigourously bounce up and down on his chest (breaking ribs as you go) to achieve CPR.

Makes a bit of a mockery of preserving the spinal column intact....

However, as a first aider you can only do your best and a breathing parallysed person is better than a dead one.
    Yep! (My brother is paralysed as a result of a car crash some years back so I feel qualified to give a "YEP!" to that statement.)

Also with regard to spinal cord injuries, there are degrees of damage. So if you do your best to reduce further injury while doing what you need to keep the person alive, it might be the difference between them being able to use their arms (or not) move their hands (or not) and breathe unaided (or not).

My Bro's spinal cord was not completely severed so he can move both shoulders, both elbows and his right wrist.

So just do what you have to do to keep the person alive while doing your best to minimise damage to the spine. Then leave the rest to the professionals.
    There is no such thing as bad weather; only inappropriate clothing!

Bike
    1979 Triumph Tiger 750
    Excellent informative thread. My 2c

1/ it's been said ....Look after your own safety first
    2/ I'd tend to lossen the strap and leave helmet on unless CPR needed
    3/First Aid cert holders are informed enough in basics that may save a life, most importantly to acess a situation and get medical help quick, they are not doctors

If you come across me, just pull the ears (click on Mickey)

Fastest helmet iv'e seen come off, was in the movie "STONE".
    "I want to thank you lord, so far this day. With your help i haven't been impatient, lost my temper, been grumpy, judgemental, or envious of anyone. But i will be going out in a minute and i think i will really need your help to start my bike. Amen."

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Our club is subsidising some motorcycle related first aid in a few months and I was the first to sign up. Here's hoping they will get people to demonstrate this as it's the one fear I have when riding. I'd hate to do more harm than good so actually being shown how to safely remove a helmet would be great. Of course hopefully it would be one of those cases where breathing wasn't compromised so I could leave it on until professional help arrived.
    Yes, I am pedantic about spelling and grammar so get used to it!

Bike
    05 cbr1000rr (the monster)
    good ider i mite do that

Bike
    A Black One
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    image removed
    This helmet removing device is only recommended on deceased riders..
    Last edited by Nasty; 2nd August 2009 at 13:20. Reason: Image removed

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank...
    Give a man a bank he can rob the WORLD !!!

Thread Information