Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding with the visor up always is it a no-no?

Bike
    1994, Kawasaki, ZZR1100

Riding with the visor up always is it a no-no?

Everyone says you should ride with your visor down and I know why first hand I had a few bee stings to the face... But I have an issue with how it feels.

It makes everything feel unreal and I can't seem to concentrate plus mines scratched to the days. Anyone else have this issue with visors? Are they important as people say they are? Any non-visor wearing horror stories?
    Some people just ride better then me. You know it's me when you hear high revs around a corner but the bikes going 20kphr.

Bike
    2016 Panigale 959
    if your helmet is a cheapish one then the visor will not be optically correct and will feel unreal....

also if its scratched - replace it, imagine if you had a huge mark in your cars windscreen that was in your vision....

also in poor weather visor up is a pain ...

Bike
    1994, Kawasaki, ZZR1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsannz View Post
    if your helmet is a cheapish one then the visor will not be optically correct and will feel unreal....
    Ahhh that will be why! Thanks.
    Some people just ride better then me. You know it's me when you hear high revs around a corner but the bikes going 20kphr.

Bike
    red one & a blue one
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsannz View Post
    if your helmet is a cheapish one then the visor will not be optically correct and will feel unreal
    + 1

Used to have an old HJC just like that.... couldn't put my finger on it, just felt freaky + it had a restrictive range of vision when compared to other helmets.
    Supersize Me

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    I was following my brother one day and he slowed down and was playing with his helmit. When he stopped he dropped the bike on its side and he rolled down into the ditch. Fecking heck I thought to myself. When I got to him there was saliva flowing from his mouth, snot from his nose, and he was making a wierd gurgling noise. After a short while he worked out I was there and said that he had lost an eye. Fecking heck I thought again.

Well he still had two eye balls when I pulled his lids apart, but there was a big fat bee sting still in one of them. Several failed attempts to get the sting out and I thought he was going to punch me (but he couldn't as he couldn't see me ha!). He had long hair, so I pulled a couple of strands of it out. Again he wasn't very happy as apparently I didn't tell him I was going to pull out some of his hair.

I looped it around and made a knot, slipped it over the stinger, pulled it tight and out it came.

It was a couple of days before he could open the eye and no permanent damage was done. Lots of bleeding into his eye as well.

We would have been doing about 120ks at the time and best we can figure is a bee was travelling in the same direction as him with his visor up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    Forget Katman.

Darwin will be along sooner rather than later.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    2016 Panigale 959
    i had a Vcan helmet and yeah the visor always felt funny, then i got an agv and it was better.

then a shark rsx with the ""optically correct visor" and now and HJC rpha 10.

here is what i have noticed as i still have all of these except the shark..

they sit on the shelf as momentos to age (agv passed it's service life of 5 years) and the vcan and accident.

Vcan visor seems to make the road surface and that of anything flat curve and bulge downwards in the curve of the visor.. giving issues of depth peception.

Agv is good at the centre and top and bottom but far side seems distorted and often i had to double check my life saver head checks a second time as i just hadnt seen stuff in the corners..

Shark well wo that thing was like wearing no helmet vision wise wide open and great ( also very little wind noise something the AGV suffers with.

and i'll let you know how the ride goes with the pha10 as its just arrived.

in saying that.

SINCE most of my riding is early sunstrike morning time or late arvo sunstrike time ( commuting or mid day fun blasts) i have a smoked visor.

but in my kit i carry a pair of clear safty glasses so if it gets too overcast or shitty and i cant use my tinited visor i slide it up and use the saftey glasses that way no shit in my eyes and i can ride in the rain and or etc without no issues.

also given CHCH and most areas Dusty drough conditions visor down is almost a must at the moment.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Visor?
    What visor?
    Dont need no stinking Visor

I hate the enclosed feeling of a full face helmet
    But I like the protection of a chin guard
    So I use a MX helmet

And a good pair of safety or sun glasses
    =mjc=

Bike
    Triumph Saint,Triumph Adventurer
    I usually have my visor open if I'm riding around town or under about 70kph.

100kph on the open road I usually have it closed.

I've always wore prescription glasses so haven't always worn visors.

I don't like the closed in feel of a visor but I do like it when a stone or some thing gets deflected from smacking me up the face so it's one of them things I use even though I don't like em'..

Bike
    '09 GSX-R750, '13 Hayabusa
    I often ride with my visor partially open around town, especially in summer, though I always close it over 60kmh.

Bike
    Victory Vegas 8 Ball
    The amount of crap that I scrape off my visor I'd much rather it be on the outside than the inside so "visor down". I did have the one cheap helmet that made me feel dizzy with the visor down (kind of convex sight thing) but I got rid of that and got a shoei with a mirror visor and an anti fog pinlock. Now I have it down all the time plus I can make faces at people. That shit never gets old.

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    visor up because I like it that way.
    Down in the rain.
    Down following trucks.
    Sometimes down on the open road, depends on how I feel at the time.

Never had issues with visors distorting my vision and have had cheap helmets through to mid range shoei helmets.

Bike
    1994 Kawasaki ZZR1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Road kill View Post
    I usually have my visor open if I'm riding around town or under about 70kph.

100kph on the open road I usually have it closed.

I've always wore prescription glasses so haven't always worn visors.

I don't like the closed in feel of a visor but I do like it when a stone or some thing gets deflected from smacking me up the face so it's one of them things I use even though I don't like em'..
    Pretty much my thoughts on the matter, but perhaps 50kph rather than 70kph.
    Sometimes when the road surface & visibility is suspect, I like to see as much of it as possible & I raise the visor.
    Sometimes I just raise it enough to see under it.

Bike
    Nothing :(
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes it's nice to have the visor up a little, get a bit of a breeze in there but I tend not to do it for anything above 50kmph, probably less than that now I think of it, just pootling a long in traffic really. Anything higher than that my eyes start to sting and cry...
    Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.

Bike
    A black one
    I try to keep mine down as much as possible but if it's really hot or I'm fogging up I'll ride away from lights with it up for a little while before pulling it down, usually when I pass 30km/h or so.

I've been hit in the visor by a handful of rocks so that's reason enough for me to keep it down. I've also had a bug to the eye whilst turning through an intersection and a guy blow crap into my eyes with a leafblower as I went through a carpark. Stuff getting into your eyes is really not fun.

Not to mention I've had my cornea dented before too, not sure if motorcycle related, but that was extremely painful.

Thread Information