Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: How to remove a helmet from an injured rider

Bike
    '77 TS 185 B, '91 BMW R100RT, '75 TS400
    Blog Entries
    Heya,
    I am a volunteer st john ambulance officer, as well as a biker,
    if you are confident with the helmet removal process then remove it,if not leave the helmet on as this will help keep head in neutral alignment, if airway is obstructed(snoring or wheezing noises are a telltale sign), try a tilting the head backwards slightly(as if the patient was trying to look up) the important thing is to support the head(hands where the ears would be) to prevent sideways movement,and there you will stay till the medics arrive.
    as stated earlier if airway is obstructed (vomit or blood) then helmet must come off and roll them on their side trying to keep spine straight,
    hope this helps

Bike
    BMW
    It may have been covered but if the rider has a good helmet it will have safety release tabs. Pull the red tabs to remove the cheek pads then the helmet can come off easily while supporting the neck and all that stuff

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Videos....&tab=Tech_Tips

Bike
    There are other kinds?

Check his willy

This may have been covered but I cant be arsed reading 7 pages right now.

I remember a first aid course where they said 'inappropriate erections' may indicate spinal injuries.

Dunno about you but crashing doesnt bar me up at all. So if Im hard Im hurt.

Its an acceptable time to check youre mates gear too I reckon.

Girls - um sorry not sure what you do here in respect to weird reactions.,

Any medical people able to elaborate here?

Bike
    Daytona 675
    useful info. thanks for sharing.

Bike
    KTM SuperDuke 990R
    Quote Originally Posted by trapster66 View Post
    Heya,
    I am a volunteer st john ambulance officer, as well as a biker,
    if you are confident with the helmet removal process then remove it,if not leave the helmet on as this will help keep head in neutral alignment, if airway is obstructed(snoring or wheezing noises are a telltale sign), try a tilting the head backwards slightly(as if the patient was trying to look up) the important thing is to support the head(hands where the ears would be) to prevent sideways movement,and there you will stay till the medics arrive.
    as stated earlier if airway is obstructed (vomit or blood) then helmet must come off and roll them on their side trying to keep spine straight,
    hope this helps
    Hey, thanks for the helpful pointers My partner and I have a whole lot of helmets that we no longer need and are too old to sell or give to other riders. Would St John find it helpful to have these for helmet removal training? If so, where can we take them to? Would be great to be able to put them to good use.

Thread Information