Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Coppins 07 World FIM thread

Bike
    04 Buell XB12R 06 WR250F
    Thats great news, hadn't heard anything on the radio this morning, they went on about the A1GP / F1 but nothing on the MX.

will head to MediaZone.com download the racing.

Go Josh
    Why would you ride that long and that gnarly stuff if you don't have to, Its what we do, we love it.
    Nathan Woods R.I.P.

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties

bump

Josh race 1 tonight at midnight our time.

Lookign forward to waking up to good news to go with BTs result today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    Josh scores !

1st & 2nd for 2nd overall in this GP round.

Strijbos had a 2, 1 for the same points so JC didn't extend his lead.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    My brother went to see Josh race in Spain and had a chat to him and is still buzzing

Bike
    Bikes
    Date: 22 April 2007

Press release:

Coppins ties on points at Portuguese MX GP.

Josh Coppins has narrowly missed out on his third consecutive GP win at the third round of the FIM Motocross world championship in Agueda Portugal. The factory Yamaha racer had to ride through the pain barrier with a suspected broken toe sustained in the Saturday’ practice session, however Coppins still notched up a determined 1-2 result for second overall.

Feeling uneasy going into the first moto, Coppins let his adrenalin take over any pain and discomfort as he passed Kevin Strijbos around the halfway mark of the 40 minute moto. The hot weather conditions and rough circuit took their toll on the pack however Coppins managed to use these to his advantage as he took first honours.

The second moto almost ended in disaster as Strijbos drifted wide in the first turn risking taking himself and Coppins out at the same time. Coppins chased down the Belgian as both had to race through the pack and passed him to move into second spot. Strijbos retaliated a lap later and clinched the lead with Coppins hot on his heels. With ten minutes left the duo had pulled a sizeable gap on the rest of the field and it looked as if it would be a fight till the end until Coppins backed down and settled for second.

“I had some problems this weekend and couldn’t really ride how I wanted,” explained the Kiwi. “I tried not to think of the pain and did the best I could under the circumstances. I haven’t lost any points in the championship but it still would have better to keep the winning streak going. We have a bit of time before Mantova to heal so I’ll keep working hard and look forward to defending the red plate.”

The Italian GP in Mantova, will take place on the 6th of May which gives the GP teams and riders some time to recover from the long trek back from Portugal.

www.joshcoppins.com

Race results:

MX1 Race 1

1 Coppins, Joshua NZL Yamaha

2 Strijbos, Kevin BEL Suzuki

3 Philippaerts, David ITA KTM

4 Leok, Tanel EST Kawasaki

5 Noble, James GBR Honda

6 Priem, Manuel BEL TM

7 de Dycker, Ken BEL Honda

8 Nemeth, Kornel HUN Suzuki

9 Brown, Mike USA Honda

10 Pourcel, Sebastien FRA Kawasaki

11 Ramon, Steve BEL Suzuki

12 van Daele, Marvin BEL Honda

13 Barragan, Jonathan ESP KTM

14 de Reuver, Marc NED Yamaha

15 Desalle, Clement BEL Suzuki

MX1 Race 2

1 Strijbos, Kevin BEL Suzuki

2 Coppins, Joshua NZL Yamaha

3 Pourcel, Sebastien FRA Kawasaki

4 Priem, Manuel BEL TM

5 Philippaerts, David ITA KTM

6 Allier, Thomas FRA Kawasaki

7 Brown, Mike USA Honda

8 Ramon, Steve BEL Suzuki

9 Mackenzie, Billy GBR Kawasaki

10 Nemeth, Kornel HUN Suzuki

11 van Daele, Marvin BEL Honda

12 de Dycker, Ken BEL Honda

13 Leok, Aigar EST Yamaha

14 Barragan, Jonathan ESP KTM

15 Renet, Pierre A. FRA Honda

MX1 World championship standings:

1 Coppins, J. NZL 144

2 Strijbos, K. BEL 125

3 Barragan, J. ESP 89

4 Ramon, Steve BEL 86

5 de Dycker, Ken BEL 84

6 Pourcel, S. FRA 67

7 Nagl, M. GER 63

8 Philippaerts, D. ITA 62

9 Brown, Mike USA 62

10 Priem, Manuel BEL 61

11 Leok, Tanel EST 61

12 Noble, James GBR 61

13 de Reuver, M. NED 60

14 Nemeth, Kornel HUN 51

15 Mackenzie, B. GBR 46

Bike
    no race this weekend - 6 May next in Italy

Bike
    Josh seems a little off the pace - qualified 7th on the grid for tonight

Bike
    Bikes
    Date: 6 May 2007

Press release:

Coppins strikes back to win Italian GP

New Zealand’s MX1 star, Josh Coppins, has bounced back to win both moto’s of the Italian GP in Mantova. The Factory Yamaha Rinaldi rider used good starts and smart riding to extend his lead in the FIM MX1 world championship series.

With arguably one of the most exciting MX1 opening laps in history, the sellout Italian crowd were on their feet. Coppins lost some positions while the dog fight ensued up front and smartly kept out of trouble. Crowd favourite, David Philippaerts and Marc de Reuver, tangled in the fight and went down, allowing Coppins to make a move on Belgians Strijbos and De Dyker to take the lead. De Dycker retaliated but Coppins quickly stamped his authority on the race and took control to the checkered flag.

Track conditions were considerably tougher in the second moto but Coppins was placed well at the start and took his time in getting past, fast starter, Mike Brown. “Lizzard” seemed to be settling into a good rhythm when a challenge from Ken De Dycker caught him off guard. Using his head, the Kiwi regrouped and re-passed the Belgian with five minutes left on the clock to cruise to a double victory, his second of the season.

“It’s no secret that I don’t like this track and it was pretty obvious yesterday. I worked really hard with the team. The Yamaha Rinaldi guys were very smart in making some decisions for me. We really improved the bike over the two days. I knew my race pace was good – I just couldn’t go that little bit extra to put the whole lap together so I had to be a little bit smart and fight to the end. The first moto was crazy – a lot of guys were trying to win the race in the first ten minutes but I just let them do their own thing. This is probably my best win ever. I kept a cool head and played it smart and did better than ever expected.” commented Coppins.

Coppins heads round 5 in Teutschenthal, Germany next weekend, with a 36 point advantage over championship rival Kevin Strijbos.

Race results:

MX1 Race 1

2 Leok, Tanel EST Kawasaki

3 Strijbos, Kevin BEL Suzuki

4 Pourcel, Sebastien FRA Kawasaki

5 Noble, James GBR Honda

6 Mackenzie, Billy GBR Kawasaki

7 Ramon, Steve BEL Suzuki

8 Crockard, Gordon IRL Honda

9 Philippaerts, David ITA KTM

10 Nemeth, Kornel HUN Suzuki

11 Desalle, Clement BEL Suzuki

12 Priem, Manuel BEL TM

14 Brown, Mike USA Honda

15 Bill, Julien SUI Kawasaki

MX1 Race 2

2 de Dycker, Ken BEL Honda

3 1de Reuver, Marc NED Yamaha

4 Pourcel, Sebastien FRA Kawasaki

5 Ramon, Steve BEL Suzuki

6 Leok, Tanel EST Kawasaki

7 Noble, James GBR Honda

8 Strijbos, Kevin BEL Suzuki

9 Brown, Mike USA Honda

10 Barragan, Jonathan ESP KTM

11 van Daele, Marvin BEL Honda

12 Crockard, Gordon IRL Honda

14 Renet, Pierre A. FRA Honda

15 Pyrhonen, Antti FIN Kawasaki

MX1 Championship standings:

1 Coppins, J. NZL 194

2 Strijbos, K. BEL 158

3 Ramon, Steve BEL 116

4 de Dycker, Ken BEL 106

5 Pourcel, S. FRA 103

6 Barragan, J. ESP 100

7 Leok, Tanel EST 98

8 Noble, James GBR 91

9 Brown, Mike USA 81

10 de Reuver, M. NED 80

11 Philippaerts, D. ITA 74

12 Priem, Manuel BEL 70

13 Nagl, M. GER 63

14 Nemeth, Kornel HUN 62

15 Mackenzie, B. GBR 61

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Nice one Josh.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Bikes
    RACE REPORT 06/05/2007
    Sensational double for Coppins and Cairoli in Italy

Joshua Coppins

Yamaha's emphatic presence in the MX1 and MX2 World Championship continues as Yamaha Motocross Team's Josh Coppins won his third Grand Prix of the year and Yamaha De Carli's Antonio Cairoli maintained a 100% record with his fourth consecutive success at a sunny and warm Mantova circuit for the Italian round and the fourth meeting of fifteen in the FIM competition.

The Mantova layout had been altered slightly from the course that opened the off-road racing calendar in February. The track, with its rough, sandy terrain and many jumps, won praise from most of the riders for the challenge it offered. The facility is unique in the way it is compacted in a squared 'stadium' setting, allowing wide views of most of the circuit.
    The first MX1 moto was a collection of incidents. Marc De Reuver started brightly and held fourth position behind Coppins in the early stages. On a surge of confidence the Dutchman took off to challenge David Philippaerts for the lead but the pair collided in a tight left-hander and both went down. Ken de Dycker moved through to head a four rider group but Coppins attacked right away and the duo swapped positions for several laps until De Dycker faded. For the last third of the race Coppins was not overtaken, although Tanel Leok kept him close company; the 30 year old rode comfortably to his fifth triumph from seven motos. De Reuver re-started outside of the top ten and eventually took the chequered flag in a humble twenty-third and out of the points.

Joshua Coppins

Coppins again faced the threat of De Dycker in the second sprint. The former team-mates tangled before the New Zealander backed off to observe his rival. After four laps he was able to regain ground on the Belgian and swiftly relegated the 22 year old to second spot. The Rinaldi squad were naturally thrilled with victory at their home Grand Prix and Coppins cited the triumph as the best of his career after battling some set-up problems on Saturday. Further good news lay in store when De Reuver (sporting a close-cut hairstyle instead of his traditional lengthy locks) crossed the line in third spot for his second top three MX1 moto finish with Yamaha.
    Tanel Leok in second place and Sebastien Pourcel in third both made their first appearances on the podium, Coppins was able to extend his lead in the MX1 series by 17 points over Kevin Strijbos (who was fourth overall) and now enjoys a 36 point advantage. De Reuver's efforts leave him tenth.

Joshua Coppins

Josh Coppins, Yamaha Motocross Team:
    "I'm pretty happy. It is no secret that I don't like this track and it looked obvious yesterday but we worked hard with the team, and Yamaha were really smart and made some good decisions for me. We really improved the bike over the two days. I knew my race pace was good but I could not go that little bit extra for a flying lap. Today I had to be a little bit clever and head-strong and fight to the end. The first moto was crazy because a lot of guys were trying to win the race in the first ten minutes. I let them do their own thing. I almost got caught up with Marc when he fell and that was a near miss. I started to ride better after that and gave my best. I had a pretty good idea that I could pass Ken again in the second moto. He had a couple of better lines so I let him go but I wondered how much energy he had left and when he started to slow I was confident I could lead again. I think this is the best win ever for me simply because I have never done well at this track and today went much better than I expected."

Carlo Rinaldi, Team Manager, Yamaha Motocross Team:
    "It has been a very good home GP and I am very happy mainly because the weekend did not start in the best way. Josh did not feel very comfortable on this track and we struggled on Saturday to get him running well with the bike, so we were not expecting such a good race. Josh showed one of his very positive characteristics though and reacted strongly. With good starts he had the patience to wait for the right moment to attack and won both motos. About Marc, I am pleased because physically he is getting better and speed-wise he is there, but I was disappointed when he crashed in the first moto and threw away a big chance for the race win. He proved that he was ready to win, but maybe he wasn't patient enough and that's a pity. He made up for it with a consistent race in the second moto and third place was very good for him because he needs the points."

Temp: 26
    Crowd: 29000
    Weather: Sunny

2006 2007 GP of Mantova, Italy 06/05/2007
    Race 1 - 19 Laps
    Pos. Rider Manu. Nat. Total Time
    1 Joshua Coppins Yamaha NZL 40'20.318
    2 Tanel Leok Kawasaki EST 0'10.494
    3 Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 0'16.085
    4 Sébastien Pourcel Kawasaki FRA 0'29.880
    5 James Noble Honda GBR 0'34.911
    6 Billy MacKenzie Kawasaki GBR 0'38.195
    7 Steve Ramon Suzuki BEL 0'42.294
    8 Gordon Crockard Honda IRL 0'46.664
    9 David Philippaerts KTM ITA 0'49.336
    10 Kornel Nemeth Suzuki HUN 0'55.145
    11 Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 1'10.513
    12 Manuel Priem TM BEL 1'15.256
    13 Aigar Leok Yamaha EST 1'28.505
    14 Mike Brown Honda USA 1'31.926
    15 Julien Bill Kawasaki CHE 1'32.921
    16 Alex Salvini Yamaha ITA 1'34.455
    17 Christian Beggi Honda ITA 1'43.475
    18 Antti Pyrhonen Kawasaki FIN 1'48.314
    19 Marko Kovalainen Honda FIN 1'52.786
    20 Christian Stevanini Yamaha ITA 1'56.134

Race 2 - 19 Laps
    Pos. Rider Manu. Nat. Total Time
    1 Joshua Coppins Yamaha NZL 40'56.507
    2 Ken De Dycker Honda BEL 0'5.757
    3 Marc De Reuver Yamaha NED 0'10.669
    4 Sébastien Pourcel Kawasaki FRA 0'13.407
    5 Steve Ramon Suzuki BEL 0'15.793
    6 Tanel Leok Kawasaki EST 0'19.242
    7 James Noble Honda GBR 0'28.599
    8 Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 0'39.096
    9 Mike Brown Honda USA 0'49.588
    10 Jonathan Barragan KTM ESP 0'59.306
    11 Marvin Van Daele Honda BEL 1'3.127
    12 Gordon Crockard Honda IRL 1'6.985
    13 Aigar Leok Yamaha EST 1'21.234
    14 Pierre A. Renet Honda FRA 1'25.998
    15 Antti Pyrhonen Kawasaki FIN 1'43.079
    16 Marko Kovalainen Honda FIN 1'45.801
    17 Thomas Allier Kawasaki FRA 1'57.507
    18 Christian Beggi Honda ITA 2'28.389
    19 Julien Bill Kawasaki CHE -1 Laps
    20 Scott Columb Suzuki NZL -1 Laps

Rider Standings 06/05/2007

Pos. Rider Manu. Nat. Points
    1. Joshua Coppins Yamaha NZL 194
    2. Kevin Strijbos Suzuki BEL 158
    3. Steve Ramon Suzuki BEL 116
    4. Ken De Dycker Honda BEL 106
    5. Sébastien Pourcel Kawasaki FRA 103
    6. Jonathan Barragan KTM ESP 100
    7. Tanel Leok Kawasaki EST 98
    8. James Noble Honda GBR 91
    9. Mike Brown Honda USA 81
    10. Marc De Reuver Yamaha NED 80
    11. David Philippaerts KTM ITA 74
    12. Manuel Priem TM BEL 70
    13. Maximilian Nagl KTM GER 63
    14. Kornel Nemeth Suzuki HUN 62
    15. Billy MacKenzie Kawasaki GBR 61
    16. Aigar Leok Yamaha EST 45
    17. Marvin Van Daele Honda BEL 45
    18. Thomas Allier Kawasaki FRA 35
    19. Gordon Crockard Honda IRL 32
    20. Clement Desalle Suzuki BEL 27

Manufacturer Standings 06/05/2007

Pos. Manufacturer Points
    1. Yamaha 194
    2. Suzuki 165
    3. KTM 140
    4. Honda 129
    5. Kawasaki 127
    6. TM 70
    7. Aprilia 2

The fifth meeting of the year takes place in just seven days time with the Grand Prix of Germany at the Talkessel circuit in Teutschenthal. The teams will cut through Europe this week to head to the east of the country and the venue near the city of Halle.

Bike
    04 Buell XB12R 06 WR250F
    That's great news, nice one Josh

denill, thanks for the updates,
    Why would you ride that long and that gnarly stuff if you don't have to, Its what we do, we love it.
    Nathan Woods R.I.P.

Bike
    Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    That's great news, nice one Josh

denill, thanks for the updates,
    Thanks oldguy, glad they are of interest. I recognise that it is bloody near impossible to get REAL news like this on mainstream media!

Bike
    KTM 200EXC RM250
    Radio Sport usually mention Josh's results. Guess someone is letting them know how he goes, which is what it takes with non main stream sports. Little is heard of BT's results in the AMA still.

Twice the displacement, twice the cost and a decibel problem, I'll pass on the inside brraaaap!!!

Bike

DOUBLE BUMP PRUMM & JOSH this weekend!

Katherine Prumm races as well in the opeing round of the Womens FIM champs.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Josh Coppins
    Q: Josh, how are your injuries from Portugal?

Josh Coppins: My toe is still a little sore, bit swollen, not too bad, just normal motocross injuries. I was more angry about Portugal, I took the pain medication for my foot and it had a funny effect on me.

Q: After Portugal we all looked at Kevin and expected him to give you a hard time in Mantova. What were you expecting?

Josh Coppins: He got some confidence, but he didn’t take any points from me in Portugal. Kevin is a great rider, but in saying that look at the points now and keep my head down. I think I doubled my points in Mantova, like 36 or 37 points, so I am happy about that.

Q: Three GP wins after four rounds, you have to be liking this?

Josh Coppins: I would never had expected that I would have three GP wins after four rounds. My pre-season wasn’t that special, so I wasn’t super confident coming into the season. I hope to pick up the read plate now and do it with good results. Last week the Belgian press are asking me who is going to get between Kevin and I, but look at today (Strijbos struggled in Mantova). Like I said from the start, I am not going to win every week, I am not going to win every moto, I do hope to be on the podium in every round.

Q: What about Mantova? It was a hard day at the office. Many riders showed good speed, but you still came away with 1-1 results.

Josh Coppins: I came out swinging this weekend, and I said I would. I was a little nervous, but more because of the way it was going, it was chaos, and I didn’t want to get involved in anything dangerous. Brownie was holding me up a little bit again, then Ken passed me and brake checked me a little and was messing around with me, then de Reuver crashed and when he was picking his bike up he hit me, I lost some time there and it was really kicking off. Once I got into the lead and dropped the lap times I felt I was getting it going. My rythem was better.

Q: Mike Brown once again lead you, he actually seemed to be riding really well in those first few laps, what did you think?

Josh Coppins: In the second moto I got a good start, Brownie was riding really aggressive and riding really hard, he got away from me there for a little while and I just waited for him to wear himself down. On the third lap I passed him and then Ken (de Dycker) came back and was strong, he had some good lines, I had some lines I was struggling with, so I let Ken pass me and watched him for a while. I took some breaths and came back at him.

Q: Germany, it’s not a track a lot of riders like because of the high speed and hard surface. What do you think of Teutschenthal?

Josh Coppins: Teutschenthal has been fast and a little easy, but they brought some sand in, have done some good work to the track, so I am hoping they have made it a little rougher and more technical. I don’t dislike Germany as much as Mantova.

Q: What is your scheduel for the season. Will we see you racing at Belgian or British championships?

Josh Coppins: I am just taking one race at the time and the moment. I won’t do any Belgian championship, or British championships or anything like that. It’s a long season, we go for six months and I don’t want to be in a bad condition from racing too much. My condition is probably 80%. I need a little more fitness, I am feeling a little tired at the end of the motos. In Spain I felt okay, but in places like Mantova I struggle a little. I want to be 100% in about two months. I am using a lot of energy because I am not riding that well. It will come good if I just keep doing what I am doing, keep working on the bike.
    shamlessly copied from youthstream

Thread Information