Thread: Emergency tubeless tyre repair

Bike
    black thing
    Blog Entries

eek Emergency tubeless tyre repair

Having never run a bike with tubeless tyres before, Im unaware of the roadside repair process when one gets stuck in the middle of nowhere with a puncture.. I have a compressed aerosol can but wonder if thats the best thing to carry.. any others out there who have solved tis problem??
    Ive seen some posts re various types and experiences ... but WHAT do I look for :-) Thanks..

Bike
    1999 Honda XL1000V Varadero

Fix it with a rubber plug

I carry the special tool and rubber plugs. When I get a flat I remove the nail, rasp the hole bigger with one end of the special tool, remove the plastic off the gooey rubber plug and push the plug into the hole the right way with the other (needle like) end of the tool. Pump it up and ride away - and you never have to remove the wheel! A permanent fix that will last the life of the tyre. Once you know how to do it with a tubeless bike tyre you can also fix flat tyres on your car as well. With the tool, some plugs and a bicycle pump you never have to worry about flat tyres - tubeless is great!

Bike
    a red heap
    http://www.genuineinnovations.com/mo...11&prodid=1059

get one of these kits with the "dog turd" plugs, i have used these alot and have never had any problems. most bike shops have them.

Bike
    black thing
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Catweazle View Post
    I carry the special tool and rubber plugs. When I get a flat I remove the nail, rasp the hole bigger with one end of the special tool, remove the plastic off the gooey rubber plug and push the plug into the hole the right way with the other (needle like) end of the tool. Pump it up and ride away - and you never have to remove the wheel! A permanent fix that will last the life of the tyre. Once you know how to do it with a tubeless bike tyre you can also fix flat tyres on your car as well. With the tool, some plugs and a bicycle pump you never have to worry about flat tyres - tubeless is great!
    Thanks catweazle, can you remember the name of the kit, and where available, no doubt there are good and bad ones..?? Im familiar with the car version but was told by some that this method was not safe on bike tyres? obviously you have had a good experience.. Cheers

Bike
    1999 Honda XL1000V Varadero

MCA Sydney

I probably bought the original kit at Motorcycle Accessories Supermarket in Wentworth St in Sydney some years ago. Since then I just buy whatever plugs I can find at Repco or Super Cheap Autos. Haven't looked lately - still got four unused plugs so I won't be checking for a year or two yet.

Bike
    black thing
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    http://www.genuineinnovations.com/mo...11&prodid=1059

get one of these kits with the "dog turd" plugs, i have used these alot and have never had any problems. most bike shops have them.

Thanks fella's its always great to get info from someone who has actual experience of using em..

Bike
    black thing
    Blog Entries
    Nifty little kit that, I dropped into MotoMail today and picked one up, gives me a bit of peace of mind on for the upcoming akl-wgtn-akl trip..Thanks catweasle

Bike
    A Red German one.
    Just a quick word. If you do use a tyre pando aerosol repair, then get the puncture properly fixed as soon as you can. The ammonia in the pandos eats alloy wheels and steel wheels really well. Have seen wheels needed to be replace after 3-4000kms with this stuff left in them. Also when using one of the dog turd repairs. Take time to make sure you reem and plug the puncture hole. It is real easy to make another hole alongside the puncture with th reemer.

Thread Information