Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first race report

Bike
    Tyre Shredder

My first race report

Soooo went down to taupo on sat arvo to be the pit bitch for BENT SPANNER RACING, thinking i'd have a good weekend watching some racing and wishing I could be out there.

We arrive at taupo at about 7 and check out the accomidation then off to the pub for a beer and a feed and to meet up with the other yahoo's who are racing.

Sitting there talking some shit, and everyone is amping each other up and I say how jelous I am that everyone is going racing.... When Kiwifruit says ... well I have a bike you can use!!! At first I thought he was joking but he seemed serious... and then I thought he was pissed (probably) but he still seemed keen. So I said fine i'll go do clubmans cause i've never raced and never ridden his bike etc etc etc.. So he says no if you want to race my bike you have to be in F2... Now I am really freaking out...Really want to race but with no gear and no prep i'm a little nervous. A few texts later and I had me a set of leathers to borrow... get back and spend an hour fxing some tyre warmers so I have some....

Pitch up on the day and help the others unload then go and sign in. I meet Toast in there and he says for an extra $10 i can enter into F1 as well and get more track time. I was thinking I Would just pay the $10 so I get an extra warm up on the bike. Then he goes and lends me a brand new shark helmet. We finally go and pick up the bike and get to the track at 9 with a few rushed mods it manages to get through inspection. Then Mr Turbo goes and lends me some gloves. I had my own boots so by 9:45 I have all the gear to go racing . (also a big thanks to nicksta for lending me a battery to get the bike going)

Warmup one (F1).... really frikken nervous..... find out the 600 is way different to the 750 and the suspension might need a a little work also end up running out of gas at the end of the front straight DOH!!!

Warmup two (F2)... slowly getting the hang of the 6 hundy and getting more confident into corners cause the brakes were awesome....

Race one (F1).. My first ever race and was not as nervous for some reason. My first race start on an unknown bike was a little interesting to say the least and with all but the last of my races back off into turn one which puts me at the back... Manage to claw back a few places so I didn't come last woohoo..

Race one (F2) same shitty start and same chicken out. Got passed by 2 or 3 guys in the first 2 laps but went passed them in the next 3. So again didn't come last and starting to to push the bike a bit more..

Race two (f1) was an absolute shocker. Got stuck behind someone and backed off at all the overtaking places (I think it was the whole not my bike not my gear thing but I'd back off and then be pissed off cause I did) But still didn't come last woot.

Race two (F2) Got a slightly better start and starting pushing it a bit more but the whole WAY toooo chicken thing meant I got stuck behind people again but thought I went better...

third race (F1)... got a better start still got clogged up at turn one though. had a bit of a moment but nothing to seroius and got passed one or 2 people but the whole cold tyres thing 4 lap race was really shit cause the tyres wern't up to heat untill the third lap

third race (F2)... So after much berating by KF about me not being aggessive enough I decide final race of the day bettre give it heaps. Also some handy tips so I didn't get clogged in turn one helped. Got a much more aggressive start right from the back and started absolutly fanging it. got passed a few people and managed to hang on to Keystone and Toast. Had the front slip which lost me a little ground but although I couldn't close the 25m odd gap it didn't get any bigger and I found myself coming 11th.....

All in all it was an awesome day. Final standings for me were 21st out of 28 for F1 and 15 out of 28 for F2.

A big thanks to Kiwifruit for the bike, jay for leathers, Toast for a helmet and AJ for some gloves. To members BENT SPANNER RACING for all the thier help and all thier shit which pushed me to do it in the first place, and to those on the day that helped out in the pits.... which was meant to be my job (woops)

I'll hopefully be other there again but possibly only next season... Things I learnt starting from the back is hard, be very aggressive if ya see a gap go for it else you'll get held up...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	57765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	57766   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	57767  
    Lump lingered last in line for brains,
    And the ones she got were sort of rotten and insane...

Bike
    Big ol' Hornet.
    Awesome report aff man! was really cool to see your huge grin! pity i missed seeing any racing at all! huge ups to kiwifruit for the loan of your bike.
    well done affman. you did bloody well.
    Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
    Heinlein

MotoTT Trackdays

For a very obvious, but yet very stupid reason, I got all warm and fuzzy and damn proud when I read that.... Your first race event, Taupo NZ... you are worlds away from Ferndale SA

Good on you.... I look forward to reading many more.

Up, up and way....

Bike
    Great write up Jono... and to think it was your first time... deffinatley get into it next season and you'll kick some ass!
    I'm not a complete idiot... some pieces are missing

Quote Originally Posted by DingDong
    "Hi... I rang about the cats you have for sale..."..... "oh... you have children.... how much for the children?"

mucho papoosa bueno no panocha

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    You lucky lucky bastard.

*sulks*

Bike
    Various
    Awesome stuff, bloody good on you for having a go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    '14 Multistrada 1200S
    Nice job mate, may there be many more!!

im the same when someone offers to let me ride their machine on the road, let alone on a track!! I cant think of anything worse than binning someone else's bike....
    F M S

Bike
    600RR3
    Good stuff Jono. Glad ya got out there and had a great time, and obviously got some good results. Awesome

Bike
    L1 GSXR 1000
    Yeah good on ya Jono.... hopefully the sponsorship is an on going thing aye!

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Yeah good on ya Jono.... hopefully the sponsorship is an on going thing aye!
    Doubt it.. I think allen will be riding his bike in the next one from the look on his face

Bike
    2010 Yamaha XT250, 2008 BMW F650 Dakar
    You did awesome Jono! It's going to be damn hard to stay ahead of you next time that's for sure!
    Exploring pastures anew...

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystone19 View Post
    You did awesome Jono! It's going to be damn hard to stay ahead of you next time that's for sure!
    you were doing bloody good as well.. untill your slight misfortune.

Time for you to get an inline 4 600 and go F1/F2 methinks..

Bike
    One point.

You cunts could have taken the mans bike back for him.

That's all.

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dover View Post
    One point.

You cunts could have taken the mans bike back for him.

That's all.
    was gonna ride it ... he said he would ride it ..... was less than 1km from the track.

Go bitch somewhere else.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by aff-man View Post
    was gonna ride it ... he said he would ride it ..... was less than 1km from the track.

Go bitch somewhere else.
    get fucked Jono, you weren't gonna ride it I was there listening to the "how do we get the bike home" and was gonna ride with him to give him some cover.

You were pissing and moaning about it so he took it himself

Thread Information