Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Police urge motorcyclists to... blah blah blah

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    I disagree with all vehicles Daytime Running Lights...

I wrote this a couple of months ago
    http://quantumillusions.com/biker/node/228

Bike
    '06 GSX 600F Katana
    I was pulled over by a cop today, I thought it was because I went past him at 60k while rubbing my nose, but to my surprise he put forward a BRIGHT orange vest and one of those mountaining key link things and asked if I wanted to go into the draw to win some petrol vouchers.
    I asked him what the catch was, he said no catch, I gave him a funny look, he said trust me I'm a cop, I gave him another funny look, we laughed.
    So I took the vest and key thingy and gave him my details, then he asked if I wanted a second vest so I said yeah why not - still stunned I wasn't getting a ticket although bike is all legal (for once).

I'll probably wear the vest once it fades a bit, at present it is so damn bright it could be seen from space. The vest and key thing have "ride for ever" with the web address www.rideforever.co.nz

It's a freebie and I guess I shouldn't be ungrateful but the vest only has a half zip so would probably ballon up in the wind unless wearing a back pack or camel pak etc
    We childproofed our homes, but they are still getting in.

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    Yep the site and I quote says ".....So wise up and gear up. That way, you can ride to the max now ................'. So it's official the Police support the site!!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    BRONZ BRONZ BRONZ.

The 'compulsory' fight must not be far away.

Prepare - get the infrastructure in place now. That's what we/I've been trying to do.

Everyone needs to join up.
    Sounds like a good idea.

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Quote Originally Posted by YLWDUC View Post
    Amen to that,

The only time I've had a bin (so far, touch wood), is AFTER I stopped to put on my high vis vest. 2 minutes down the road a driver just pulled out from his drive way and "didn't even see me".

Of course, he wouldn't have stopped even if he did see me

So bright jackets save lives but Loud pipes don't?
    too right why did they makes us wear helmets too. Infringin on ma rights man.

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    Quote Originally Posted by doc View Post
    too right why did they makes us wear helmets too. Infringin on ma rights man.
    Silly boy...........................

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam View Post
    So I'm thinking of a theme for my new bike...
    It's white already...
    I can get a white helmet...
    A yellow hi-vis vest...
    White hard-case panniers.
    And paint POLITE on the side, that's only one letter different from POLICE.
    Hmm... ideas.
    Anyway, I'll never be not seen again if I do that, I reckon.
    Don't count on it. I ride a white BMW, slightly larger than a main battle tank. With a white helmet. And a yellow hi-vis vest. And running lights.And panniers.

And still they pull out on me. I've seen them pull out in front of B-trains, lit up like Christmas trees.

Other times I ride a blue chookchaser with a grey helmet and a black leather jacket. And still they pull out on me.

What I DO notice with the BMW , is : less tailgating, less "I'm going to move over into your lane", less "I see you coming but I'm a shit hot driver so I'm going to go anyway" and less swerve right and accelerate when I try to pass. Oh , and people are MUCH better at moving over to let me through when I'm lane splitting.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahameeboy View Post
    Silly boy...........................
    Exactly the only motorcyclists, car drivers recognise are "Patched gang members" and "Police bikes" because they are a threat. Feeerk man if a santa's flashing nose helped make bikes more visible they would have us wearing those next . Our defensive habits are the best protection we"ve got. It's up to us. You ride a bike you have to be prepared to be at risk. If you want to avoid the risk drive a car.

Bike
    All of them
    Exactly the only motorcyclists, car drivers recognise are "Patched gang members" and "Police bikes" because they are a threat. Feeerk man if a santa's flashing nose helped make bikes more visible they would have us wearing those next . Our defensive habits are the best protection we"ve got. It's up to us. You ride a bike you have to be prepared to be at risk. If you want to avoid the risk drive a car.
    +1.......................................

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    Yeah but wearing a helmet has to be done................and who are these Pumpkin Patch gangs??

Trubs is that if driver's don't look then doesn't matter whether you are lit up like a Christmas tree but protective gear a must and it hardly impinges on our freedom cause we are riding a bike...

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    +1.......................................
    What's this +1 business Big D?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Exactly the only motorcyclists, car drivers recognise are "Patched gang members" and "Police bikes" because they are a threat.
    Exactly the point I was going to make, and why I wear black on black. Guess I'm trying to look sinister, well, sort of fat sinister anyway.

Alas! even a gang patch and "originals" won't help. Some years ago the President of the local bikers was T boned by a woman doing a u turn. I asked him what he had to say to her about that, "Nothing much, I wasn't feeling too good.."

Best just to assume they can't see you at all.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy View Post
    I was pulled over by a cop today, ..to my surprise he put forward a BRIGHT orange vest and one of those mountaining key link things and asked if I wanted to go into the draw to win some petrol vouchers.
    Shit! Free stuff! Where is this PC Santa Claus. I gotta go ride back and forth in front of a bunch of cops and see how many free vests I can accumulate. I'm a poor old man , I can't afford to buy them myself, 'tis only just and proper that the cops and ACC should spring for helping me keep safe . 'Tis not my fault that I have to ride a motorcycle, poor old folk like me can't afford a car. Thank you kind officier, warmed the cocckle sof me old heart you have.

(What category would they go under on Tardme ? )

BTW what the hell ARE the cockles of your heart?
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahameeboy View Post
    Yeah but wearing a helmet has to be done................and who are these Pumpkin Patch gangs??

Trubs is that if driver's don't look then doesn't matter whether you are lit up like a Christmas tree but protective gear a must and it hardly impinges on our freedom cause we are riding a bike...
    Jeeezzzz....uuuuss if you want to be safe dont ride a friggin bike. What sort of crusade are you on ? friggen crickets they're starting again

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    Jeeezzzz....uuuuss if you want to be safe dont ride a friggin bike. What sort of crusade are you on ? friggen crickets they're starting again
    I want to ride a bike and be safe..............I don't get on my bike and think 'oh dear I might have an accident...sniffle'............safe riding is waht it is all about you troll you.

Thread Information