Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Police urge motorcyclists to... blah blah blah

Bike
    Honda CX500 "Shithawk"

Angry Police urge motorcyclists to... blah blah blah

At the bottom of this story is a bit about motorcyclists:

(Last Easter five people died on the roads, three of them motorcyclists.
    Both police and ACC urged motorcyclists to do all they could to ensure they were seen by wearing visibility vests and riding with headlights on. )

Police want motorists to light up
    NZPA | Thursday, 5 April 2007

Police, ACC and Land Transport New Zealand (LTNZ) are reminding motorists to take extra care on the roads this Easter.
    Police are urging motorists to keep their lights on while driving during the Easter break, to improve visibility.
    Acting national road policing manager Inspector Carey Griffiths said: "Easter is a particularly dangerous time on the roads, the time frames are short and the weather is often difficult.
    "All drivers need to make sure that they are driving to the conditions but something as simple as keeping your headlights on can make a difference."
    LTNZ chief executive Wayne Donnelly said drivers needed to stay fit to drive by taking frequent breaks.
    "Easter weekend is a time to relax, but there are also extra pressures facing drivers on long journeys with high volumes of traffic on the roads.
    "Taking breaks on long trips is a great way to ease that pressure and see a bit more of the country."
    ACC roads programme manager Phil Wright said its research showed many serious crashes happened when drivers were away from home.
    In the Waikato, a hotspot for serious injury crashes, 45 per cent of accidents involved people from out of town, he said.
    Last Easter five people died on the roads, three of them motorcyclists.
    Both police and ACC urged motorcyclists to do all they could to ensure they were seen by wearing visibility vests and riding with headlights on.
    Determined to kill my bike before it kills me

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam View Post
    Last Easter five people died on the roads, three of them motorcyclists.
    Both police and ACC urged motorcyclists to do all they could to ensure they were seen by wearing visibility vests
    Fuck off. Stick your hi-vis vest up your arse.

and riding with headlights on.
    and if I could I'd use it when I felt it was necessary, not be forced to leave it on all the time.

People can fucking look instead of us having to shoulder the ENTIRE responsibility for our own safety.

Having said that, make sure you shoulder the ENTIRE responsibility for your own safety, because no other fucker, including other motorcyclists, actually gives a shit about anyone except themselves.
    Last edited by James Deuce; 5th April 2007 at 17:06.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    V-Strom 650
    Amen to that,

The only time I've had a bin (so far, touch wood), is AFTER I stopped to put on my high vis vest. 2 minutes down the road a driver just pulled out from his drive way and "didn't even see me".

Of course, he wouldn't have stopped even if he did see me

So bright jackets save lives but Loud pipes don't?
    'I always have coffee when I watch radar, everyone knows that' - Lord Dark Helmet -

www.stepup.mil.nz

Bike
    An old slow red one!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
    Having said that, make sure you shoulder the ENTIRE responsibility for your own safety, because no other fucker, including other motorcyclists, actually gives a shit about anyone except themselves.
    Aye - 'tis sad but true!!! Heads up, wheels down, eyes peeled - ride safe this weekend.

and / or

Follow me on Facebook

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, gives the impression that he just cleaned the whole house.

Bike
    An old slow red one!!
    Quote Originally Posted by YLWDUC View Post
    So bright jackets save lives but Loud pipes don't?
    not in my experience..... either or both appear to say ...."GAME ON!!!!!"

and / or

Follow me on Facebook

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, gives the impression that he just cleaned the whole house.

Bike
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
    Fuck off. Stick your hi-vis vest up your arse.

BRONZ BRONZ BRONZ.

The 'compulsory' fight must not be far away.

Prepare - get the infrastructure in place now. That's what we/I've been trying to do.

Everyone needs to join up.

Bike
    Honda CX500 "Shithawk"
    Yeah, it's a bit of a tired old message. They'll make hi-vis vests compulsory soon I reckon.
    Determined to kill my bike before it kills me

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Bugger. I usually wear one. But out of sheer perversity, I can't now. I wear one cos I think it's a good idea but I'll be buggered if I'll have some jack in office telling me I must.

BRONZ BRONZ BRONZ.

The 'compulsory' fight must not be far away.

Prepare - get the infrastructure in place now. That's what we/I've been trying to do.

Everyone needs to join up.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Goose
    Yeah, it's a bit of a tired old message. They'll make hi-vis vests compulsory soon I reckon.
    Awesome, I hope so!
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    i think that if you cant read that sheet (in 5 seconds or less) when they do your drivers license. You don't deserve to be on the road.
    I also believe the whole i didn't see you is bullshit - if people can read a txt message they can see me from 4-5 miles away.
    That reminds me - cant remember who said it.....but im getting a rifle bag
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    raptor 1000
    its just like prop bags for boats if your close enough to run into a prop your too close

bah I don't care if they make hi vis compulsary, then no one can can say that I look gay saftey noob wearing one on rides.

I'd rather they not make another law you will get a ticket for, but when has nz done anything other than bend you over?
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    Assorted British
    Don't look at me.. I did'nt vote for the Bastards.

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    ive got a hi vis i bought last winter....dunno where its got to though...

during the day, i ride with my light on full [its hardwired] and then dip it at night.
    last night, i left work at 7pm. headlight on, as always. went the long way home cos theres less paint lines and it was pissing down.
    got tailgated the whole freakin way. freakin tossers!!
    am glad the roadworkers had smoothed the gravel stuff, otherwise it would have been a rough as ride! [its posted at 30k, but no way would i have been able to slow down. that time of night theres no workers anyways]

would flicking my hazard lights on make a difference? might try it tonight if it happens again.

cant do much more to make myself visible than having my lights on...advertising needs to target cagers as well with reguards to tailgating in foul weather. with the car so close, i was almost blinded to the road work cones etc, from their lights in my mirrors. the lack of distance between us would have been dangerous no matter what vehicle i was in. [and...nowhere to pull of due to roadworks and yellow lines everywhere]
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Laugh all you like at the high-vis vests, but I have to admit, since I started to wear one (I got one for my birthday in February) I have noticed that the cagers see you a lot more easily.

They used to just pull out in front of me; now they try and pull out, see me, hesitate, and most of the time let me through.

So I'm sticking with mine.

But then, I never did give a shit what others thought of me... and I certainly won't cut my nose off to spite my face.
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Thread Information