Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike not starting

Bike
    Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    If it WAS running, aand hasn't been meddled with, then it is most unlikely that such things as ignition timing etc are deranged.

It's a two stroke. So that leaves the basics. Clean fuel in adequate supply. A spark. Primary and secondary compression. The latter two can only fail by mechanical damage. Unlikely. So it is either no/dirty fuel. Or no spark. Spark is more likely. Replace spark plug. Check for a spark, as instructed in this thread.
    Thanks for all the help Ixion, will check and report back tomorrow.

Bike
    Gone
    This morning, before I put it down to a faulty spark plug, dad decided to give it another kick.

And it started right up like nothing happened. I let it warm up, and then rode it around the block a few times, seems to go real well.

Puzzling

Any ideas what could have caused this? Last thing I want is for this to happen when I'm out somewhere.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    It's a two stroke. They do that. Did you cast covetous eyes on another bike? They know that y'know, and sulk. Or maybe it was just 'that time of month".

Two smokers. It's what they do. Strange brutes, incomprehensible, no logic about them, given to sulking , refuse to function for no reason at all. Just like women, really. Treat 'em the same way.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    1981 Yamaha XS650SH chop
    Next time kick it over like you really mean it, if it doesn't go then chances are it is flooded and you've fouled the plugs. You might smell petrol if this is the case.

Anyway gave up on two strokes a loooong time ago. Nice bikes and all that but not for me.

Bike
    Gone
    Quote Originally Posted by surfer View Post
    Next time kick it over like you really mean it, if it doesn't go then chances are it is flooded and you've fouled the plugs. You might smell petrol if this is the case.

Anyway gave up on two strokes a loooong time ago. Nice bikes and all that but not for me.
    I did everything like normal, but it just shat itself, and then came right all on its own . I kept kicking until my knee became sore.

What exactly causes flooding?

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by breakaway View Post
    What exactly causes flooding?
    Usually a lack of spark to ignite the fuel then too much fuel going into the chamber, wetting perhaps an already fouled plug.

I kept kicking until my knee became sore.
    That'll do it.

Bike
    1981 Yamaha XS650SH chop
    Openning the throttle, as you boot down hard on the kick start usually. Basically you are sending too much fuel into the carb which when it arrives in the cyclinder floods it. The plugs get wet and then the spark plug can't ignite the fuel air vapour mix.

Every bike has its little tricks. Mine for example won't kick start if I give it any throttle at all. The other thing I notice about mine is that if I do a half arse kick to get it going from cold, I get nothing and end up booting it over a dozen or so times until I get knackered. Once I have it warmed up, the half arsed kick works just fine.

Know your bike and talk to others that have a similar model. There may be a web page that supports your bike that you could have a look for information on.

When I first got mine the guy I bought it from knew less than me and had this funny ritual of choke on, choke off, twist throttle and kick. Coke back on or something like this. He didn't have a clue but did a good job in passing on the cluessless starting ritual to me. Ha ha. I was such a plonker I believed him. My other half used to come and cheer if she heard me get the beast going as she'd seen me struggle so many times. i would like to say that this was quite a while ago but it was only two or three eyars. But now, all is good.

Good luck to you I say. You are never too young to learn, and there is no such thing as a stupid question. Ask away all you can.

Bike
    Gone
    So if this happens in the future (not starting after say, 5 kicks), what am I to do?

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Well, I usually take another bike. It's a good idea with a two stroke to have a spare bike. Then the obstinate one, on seeing you disappear on a hated rival, will (for a while anyway) be all sweetness and obliging startification.

Failing that, if you have a crank drain, try draining it. Otherwise its full throttle, fuel off , and kick your leg off. Eventually it will start. Usually. Strange brutes two strokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Dont be mean ixion.
    Dude go buy yaself a spare plug --its only like 5 bucks. --leave it in the tool pouch on the bike-- pull the old plug out rest it on the cylinder head --Kick her through a half dozen times. Put the new plug in and shes very likely gonna fire right up.
    I actually bead blast fouled plugs ready to be used again but you could just clean the plug up in the old fashioned way
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    hey dude, im guessing you passed your test the other day? hows the tape holding up?
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    Gone
    Yeah, passed. Tape's great, no leaks at all.

Bike
    Gone
    Alright, I just tried to start it, first time I kicked it, it showed a willingness to start, but died. Then kicked it 5 more times. Nothing.

Then I turned off the fuel tap, waited for about 10 minutes, and then went back, and kicked the hell out of it. After about 7-8 kicks, the engine showed a willingness to start, so fuel tap on, choke on, half throttle, kick, and it started right up.

I do believe I have just created a 'start-up ritual'

Bike
    Husky TE310, 2 Buckets and a ZXR250C
    My 2 smoker wont start, with any throttle at all if the choke is off, however if its on it loves more throttle.

Weird thing happened today, must of been a warm morning, one kick and she was running and not even burning oil, i happily said to my self, thats weird, however i couldnt get it going after i left it for 30 minutes this afternoon.

2 Strokers for u tho .

Bike
    1981 Yamaha XS650SH chop
    Alright, I just tried to start it, first time I kicked it, it showed a willingness to start, but died. Then kicked it 5 more times. Nothing.

Then I turned off the fuel tap, waited for about 10 minutes, and then went back, and kicked the hell out of it. After about 7-8 kicks, the engine showed a willingness to start, so fuel tap on, choke on, half throttle, kick, and it started right up.

I do believe I have just created a 'start-up ritual'
    Always good to have a ritual, you get to pass it on to the next owner of your bike ha ha, hope it's not me

Thread Information