Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trial by trickery or how Scott was stitched up

Bike
    Guzzi

Trial by trickery or how Scott was stitched up

Just finished reading TRIAL BY TRICKERY by Keith Hunter on the sounds murders of Ben Smart and Olivia Hope. No doubt in my mind of Watson's innocent. Anyone else read this book?

Skyryder
    Free Scott Watson.

Bike
    Big, black and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyryder View Post
    Just finished reading TRIAL BY TRICKERY by Keith Hunter on the sounds murders of Ben Smart and Olivia Hope. No doubt in my mind of Watson's innocent. Anyone else read this book?

Skyryder
    I'm 3/4 way through it and always had doubts about how the police and prosecutors handled the case.

Free Scott Watson... and Winja... and give me back my functionality on KB.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Not read the book, but did see the doco on the box a while back. Was full of undisputed evidence that was never presented in court. Another stitch-up ala AAT....
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    1987 Nifty 50
    Hey folks be reasonable. There was a a crime, and someone got locked up for it- isnt that the point of it?

Sad to say(even though its been said many, many times): wouldnt be the first time this kind of thing has happened
    "Not one day that we are here on this earth has been promised to us, so make the most of every day as if it was your last, and every breath ,as if it were the same"

Bike
    Big, black and slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    Hey folks be reasonable. There was a a crime, and someone got locked up for it- isnt that the point of it?
    Yeah, it's important that whenever a crime is committed someone gets locked up, even if they're not guilty.

Bike
    A Cage
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Yeah, it's important that whenever a crime is committed someone gets locked up, even if they're not guilty.
    Your being sarcastic I know my friend, but I'd personally rather have innocents locked up every now and then than criminals possibly let loose.

Besides which even if he wasnt guilty of those murders, he was still a shady piece of shit and he was guilty of SOMETHING :-P

Bike
    18 Street Triple RS, 18 Aprilia Tuono RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Lias View Post
    Your being sarcastic I know my friend, but I'd personally rather have innocents locked up every now and then than criminals possibly let loose.

Besides which even if he wasnt guilty of those murders, he was still a shady piece of shit and he was guilty of SOMETHING :-P
    Only problem with that is that when an innocent person is locked up they stop looking for the guilty one.

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Krusti View Post
    Only problem with that is that when an innocent person is locked up they stop looking for the guilty one.
    Don't let Joe Karam hear you say that! I agree that Watson was dodgy, don't know enough about the case (nor am I interested enough to want to know more) to make a call on his guilt or innocence.
    Yes, I am pedantic about spelling and grammar so get used to it!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    afaik watson is still under investigation for the disappearance (and suspected death) of a writer who lived on great barrier island, back in about 1998. he has been placed in his boat in (the inaccessable by road) bay that this writer lived in, at the time of her disappearance.

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    I didn't know the book existed, but I would be interested to read it.

I'm not sure I would go as far as saying I beleive Scott Watson is innocent, although I firmly beleive that the justice system did not work the way it is supposed to.

Obviously something amiss has occured. It is most likely Ben Smart and Olivia hope are indeed deceased. I think, by a process of elimination, that Scott Watson likely had something to do with it. However I don't see how the jury could convict Watson with the evidence put forward to them. There is more than enough reasonable doubt to aquit. You can't just put someone in prison because of a gut feeling, it's not right.

This case makes me giggle (proverbially, of course) every time I see a film where someone says "no body, no crime" - I think "Tell that to Mr Watson".

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    In addendum, I think this is case-in-point for scrapping the many hundred years old Roman/Greek legal system we have. In this day an age a Jury needs to be professional. They need to be highly knowledgable in police procedure, case law, psychological profiling and a range of other relevant skill sets. "Jury of peers" is archaic. It worked fine in ancient Rome when your peers were other educated professionals, typically politicians and merchants. These days juries are made up predominantly of people who are either too stupid to get out of jury duty or have nothing better to do.

The professional jurers could then be tested from time to time, checking they are keeping their knowledge up to date. They can also be profiled to see if there are any 'glitches' in their findings. Reward them well for their time in education and effort on the job and minimise the risk of bribery.

Bike
    A Cage
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Monkey View Post
    In addendum, I think this is case-in-point for scrapping the many hundred years old Roman/Greek legal system we have. In this day an age a Jury needs to be professional. They need to be highly knowledgable in police procedure, case law, psychological profiling and a range of other relevant skill sets. "Jury of peers" is archaic. It worked fine in ancient Rome when your peers were other educated professionals, typically politicians and merchants. These days juries are made up predominantly of people who are either too stupid to get out of jury duty or have nothing better to do.

The professional jurers could then be tested from time to time, checking they are keeping their knowledge up to date. They can also be profiled to see if there are any 'glitches' in their findings. Reward them well for their time in education and effort on the job and minimise the risk of bribery.
    I vote we move to the Judge system (aka Judge Dread).. Now that would be great :-)

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Trial by jury is not Graeco Roman (though other aspects of our judicial system are). It's actually a Norman adaptation of a Teutonic ritual. Beats Trial of Battle I guess.

France follows the Roman system.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    None any more
    I followed closely the Scott Watson trial. I think that he is an evil bugger who is probably in the right location, but I don't think that he was proven guilty beyond reasonable doubt.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800
    I expect you mean its ok so long as it isn't you who is the innocent locked up...

lol, I have heard the odd resident of Picton say that as well - appears he wasnt the most popular bloke in town. Of course that doesnt necessarily mean he did this particular deed....I hope the cops got it right but part of me is not totally convinced
    Experience......something you get just after you needed it

Thread Information