Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie...dealing with a#*hole driveway....arggghhhh (Stirts)

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE

Newbie...dealing with a#*hole driveway....arggghhhh (Stirts)

Well....I thought it was about time I said hi

Went out for my first ride on Sat ....me a total newbie.....was absolutely crappin myself....but also very excited....but also crappin myself.

Had tried on several occassions to wiggle out of going....but a certain someone was not having a bar of it.....fuckety fuck I had to go. Ohhh and boy did he push me....something that I NEVER will be able to thank him enough for!

Don't ask me where we went...Clevedon? then onto somewhere, around some bays (yes navigation v. bad), I remember some twisties that eventually forced me to talk myself..."look tina look" "you stupid b-arch LOOK" .....now I am doing it when I drive...the looking, not the verbal abuse.

We came out onto the bombays....and my confidence, by then was way better than where I started. Twas getting dark and made my home, had not even really thought about my driveway, which is pretty much this /...anyway, I gear down to what I thought was 1st and turn right into my drive....well...about halfway up I loose all revs cos I am not in 1st big

Ended up havin to drop the bike...well not really drop...more like lay down gently

To cut a long story short I now have to move.....JOKING....needless to say...I know what I did wrong and I know I have to practice hill starts etc.....but confidence has taken a little battering and tomorrow I have to go down this a#*hole of a driveway.

To stop me going ass-over-kite...cos that's what's going on in my head...any suggestions/tips/advice would be GREATLY appreciated
    No body move... I dropped my brain

Bike
    Just keep tapping the gear shift till it won't click down any more gears...

Hold the clutch half in and give heaps of revs too....
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Ahhhhh.....the clutch.....that's what I didn't do either DOH

FANKS

Bike
    Don't be too hard on yourself either... you'll get used to it.. just takes a bit of time...
    we will remember them

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Ya could hold 5 grand and use the clutch as a throttle
    Or of course --wait for desperate dan to offer to run it up and down the drive for ya
    Um seriously Id STRONGLY suggest giving Madduck a Pm and ask her advice---shes 5 foot tall rides a SV650 and has the driveway from HELL ---so shes pretty well qualified to answer.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    What about going down this MASSIVE drive....I am thinking 1st and both breaks?

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by Colapop View Post
    Just keep tapping the gear shift till it won't click down any more gears...

Hold the clutch half in and give heaps of revs too....
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Or of course --wait for desperate dan to offer to run it up and down the drive for ya
    Um seriously Id STRONGLY suggest giving Madduck a Pm and ask her advice---shes 5 foot tall rides a SV650 and has the driveway from HELL ---so shes pretty well qualified to answer.
    YAYE....fanks will do

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirts View Post
    You should be able to use the clutch again. If you use 1st gear you might find the bike jerks too much. Use second and the engine brake won't be so harsh. 90% of your braking comes from the front brake so don't be afraid of it. By using the clutch, 2nd gear and front brake you'll get the hang of it easily enough. As I said though give yourself time to get used to riding.
    If that means that you stop on level ground turn you bike using however many backwards and forwards moves you need to point your bike straight up the drive then do that. What ever you are comfortable with. The rest will just happen.
    we will remember them

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Ha ha haaaaa....I have seen the warnings re: "desperate dan"

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    That will work , you have engine braking as well as your front & rear brakes to rely on, assuming the drive isn't gravel you won't have a problem .
    Remember it isn't the falling off that hurts, its the bugger with the camera waiting @ the bottom for a 'kodak' moment that will get ya
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by jafar View Post
    That will work , you have engine braking as well as your front & rear brakes to rely on, assuming the drive isn't gravel you won't have a problem .
    Remember it isn't the falling off that hurts, its the bugger with the camera waiting @ the bottom for a 'kodak' moment that will get ya
    Ohhhh...I am sure there will be PLENTY of kodak moments....maybe I should get shares

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Driveway not gravel, but it is shared....there is a fence...and I will have to miss this...so I have to kinda do a little curve

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    Ohhhh...I am sure there will be PLENTY of kodak moments....maybe I should get shares
    Good plan ....... make sure you get a digtal camera so you can get them posted on here fast
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

I'm sure our driveway here isn't that bad... But as a total newbie it looked absolutely HORRID!!!!!!!! When I first got my bike I had a hard time turning it around to actually get it out.. Dropped it a few times.. Learnt very quickly what to do and what NOT to do... Very quickly learned to ride down our drive... But riding up was a different story..

Given time I've managed to ride my bike back up to the house on my own.. Without falling off.. I hope I never come off while trying to get my bike back up to the house.. Its horrible.. But practice practice pratice.. It makes perfect... Get your bike out during the day and practice riding it up the driveway.. You'll get used to it.. and get used to which part of the driveway you should stick to, to make the ride up smoother.. (dunno if this makes sense but I'm trying)
    I know with ours I stick to the leftish part of the centre as its the easiest spot to get up...

Bike in 1st.. Revs up.. And she sails on up just fine..
    Down in 1st... Front and rear brake, very very gently though!!!!

Once you manage it you'll wonder what you were so worried about...

Hillstarts are easy.. I thought that I couldn't do them.. But thats cause I pushed myself so hard to try and do them I was that nervous it just didn't happen... Til I went for a ride with CBobR and he stopped on a hill.. I had to learn then didn't I.. Didn't even realize I'd done my first hill start til a little later on.. lol

Personally I wouldn't suggest taking your driveway on at night time either.. Least not until your used to it fully... and have your confidence levels up..

Give it time and practice practice practice.. Don't let a drop knock your confidence... We don't always do it right the first time..

Goodluck..

Bike
    SPEED TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by jafar View Post
    Good plan ....... make sure you get a digtal camera so you can get them posted on here fast
    Cheekie little firker...like it!....unfortunately I will nail it...so no kodak moment.....YEAH RIGHT......haye a new Tui ad

Thread Information