Thread: Wellington - East Cape REPORT

Bike
    Suzuki V-Strom 1000

Wellington - East Cape REPORT

FInally got underway at 1ish from Wellington. Campbell and Ken were the more seasoned riders. Weather was the best for riding - little wind - sunny and the best of company.
    We decided to do the Parapara's since the scenery was awesome with all these autumn colours, not to mention the nice curvey roads ofcourse.

Hanging left and doing the western side around the mountain with great roads and a stunning moon rise with cooling temperatures welcoming us. Plagued by patches of thick fog and some tricky wet corners we slowed down somewhat as we were traveling through unknown territory. Making good progress despite stopping to get fuel. Mist continued to follow as just about the whole way to Rotorua with traffick almost absent except for the odd copcar. We turned up at Murray's just after 7pm.

Saturday we had Tony (Taupo) and Dave turning up at Murrays to accompany us along the east coast road. Six of us now headed out at 8 am and fueled up down the end of the road from Murrays. Weather was stunning again. Again some mist around the lakes as we traveled north east. Man this is great. Why did it take me almost 26 years to get back on the bike again......

We had various stops along the coast where we took the obvious pics with the goal to be in Gisborne later in the afternoon. Stops at Torere, Hawai, Raukokore and its beautiful Church not to mention one view of White Island and a great morning tea at Te Kaha Cafe. Having never been at this neck of the woods I'd like to spend more time, on the bike ofcourse, in this area. Winding roads galore and concentration sometimes lapsed with stunning views, stray horses, turkeys on the road and feeling too hot. Was wearing the minimal under my outfit to keep me cooled, t-shirt and shorts all the way. Eastcoast weather I was told. Must say that the road conditions were great. Some roadworks in obscure places with plenty of signage to let you know what is happening. Arrived at Tolega Bay in the main street where we caught up with some other bikers who were going in opposite direction where we came from. Then onto the Tolega Bay Wharf. for another stop and a walk.
    Then off to Gisborne where we arrived at 6ish. After scrubbing up went of the wharf and sat outside the boatclub for a meal and some bears. Boats arriving after their day of being out on the water. Turned in at 11.30pm

Another early start. Breakfast in town at a very nice cafe (?) where they make great coffee. On the road at 9am. What can I say more windy roads stunning weather and a few stops. Next stop Napier for lunch. Marina area ofcourse, sitting outside and plenty of parking. Murray, Tony and Dave drove back to the Napier - Taupo turnoff to finish their trip back to Taupo-Rotorua.

With the weather looking grimmer on the westcoast as we approached Woodville. We took the turnoff to Masterton with sunny conditions following us all the way to Upper Hutt where we ended up riding in light rain. But hey who cares. Couldn't wish for a better weekend. Great roads. Great people. And worth doing again.

Thanks for those commenting and giving me advice in previous post.
    Pics to follow.

Eric

Bike
    Suzuki V-Strom 1000
    Some pics enclosed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rotorua early 0258 sml.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	397.4 KB 
ID:	61203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paraparas Cafe 0257 sml.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	438.5 KB 
ID:	61204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tolega Bay 0271 sml.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	434.7 KB 
ID:	61205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raukokore Church 0270 sml.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	475.5 KB 
ID:	61206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raukokore Church  0267 sml.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	351.4 KB 
ID:	61208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gizzy sml.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	330.1 KB 
ID:	61209  

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    good write up report .. sure looked awesome weather ... last weekend was sure one outta the books
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    Suzuki V-Strom 1000
    And again.

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    The last pic - the one in front of the motel in Gizzie - is that down by the beach, about 1 block back from the water and about 3 blocks along from the surf club?
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    Suzuki V-Strom 1000
    I think its called Awapuni Road. Great accomodation - easy to find and walking distance from the main street after a few drink
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0261 sml.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	381.9 KB 
ID:	61214   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Torere School _0260 sml.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	383.1 KB 
ID:	61219  
    Last edited by Eric; 15th May 2007 at 16:26. Reason: log out problem at work

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    Yeah - I'm pretty sure it's the same one that the Missus and I stayed at on our way home from the Mission (Eric Clapton) concert, a couple of months back.
    Taking the scenic route (as you do).
    The Waioeka was in top shape for that trip.
    Droooooooool.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Great write up and very nice pics.
    That really is a great ride round there.

That's the same motel Mrs KD and I stayed at when we did our cape trip in December. Must be a popular bike spot.

Thread Information