Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carbon work

Bike
    08 RMZ250
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    Wasnt the exhust one of the few parts that didnt look to bad after the trackday:spudwhat:
    Yer its true, but a carbon exuast will look pretty nice on the side of my bike.
    Why becasue i might be able to, thats why.

Bike
    2010 KTM 300 exc
    I've thought about making some carbon bits for a while. I have worked with fibreglass before (with varied success). A couple of questions about carbon fibre:

where do you by supplies from - carbon/resin etc? What is the ballpark cost? can you buy limited amounts easily?
    What methods do you use to set the part in the mold? I have seen parts made on TV before and they usually seal it up in plastic and suck all the air out to drive all the air out of the part and force the resin into all the spaces. Then they 'bake it' in a type of oven, overnight I think. Is this necessary for non load bearing parts, like a hugger?

Thanks

Bike
    El Scooto
    The most expensive part is obviously the Carbon fibre, which sells for about $60- $100 a square metre, depending on what weave/weight ya want. i was lucky enought to acquire some 'offcuts' from a previous employer.

epoxy resin is about $140-150 for 5L. which is quite alot, ive had my 5L for over two years now, and its just starting to get empty after making numerous different pieces. and can be found at any marine shop, Burnsco Marine would be the best and cheapest place (bit of a plug for an old employer) and you comes in .1, .4, 1, 5, 20L containers. they also sell some basic mold release for about $12 for 200ml, which works a treat.

If your making molds id jsut use polyester resin, as its about 30% cheaper.
    Carbon Fibre is my friend!!!

Bike
    El Scooto
    The most expensive part is obviously the Carbon fibre, which sells for about $60- $100 a square metre, depending on what weave/weight ya want. i was lucky enought to acquire some 'offcuts' from a previous employer.

epoxy resin is about $140-150 for 5L. which is quite alot, ive had my 5L for over two years now, and its just starting to get empty after making numerous different pieces. and can be found at any marine shop, Burnsco Marine would be the best and cheapest place (bit of a plug for an old employer) and you comes in .1, .4, 1, 5, 20L containers. they also sell some basic mold release for about $12 for 200ml, which works a treat.

If your making molds id jsut use polyester resin, as its about 30% cheaper.

Oh and to buy small quantities of Carbon, the only place i can think of is a company in Albany, called "High Modulus"

Bike
    El Scooto
    bugger sent it twice!

As for manufacturing processes, The one you will have seen a video for uses Preimpregnated carbon fibre, which already has the resin 'preimpregnated" into it, and when in the oven it basically goes off. its held under a vacuum, and often in a pressurised vessel when this happens. It's the top of the line technique, uber expensive.

Ive just layed the carbon and resn in the molds i made, and let it cure at room temeprature. this is pretty much the most budget way to do it, but it works alright for the parts ive made.

Trying to source a vacuum pump at the moment, so that i can bag the parts while they cure, sucking out all the air, and forcing the carbon into the corners much better.

Bike
    Bikes!
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

Watch tygaboys diy vidoes, most of what you need to know is there. As far as his credentials go, check out this sweet MV/SV650 hybrid tank he made: http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=84202.0

Bike
    Honda F4i
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search

Watch tygaboys diy vidoes, most of what you need to know is there. As far as his credentials go, check out this sweet MV/SV650 hybrid tank he made: http://forum.svrider.com/index.php?topic=84202.0
    Wow .. that's a great find on youtube

Awesome progress on the bike there bucket!!! Keep us posted with any more upgrades/replacements no matter how small
    I wave to every biker I see.

Bike
    El Scooto
    The latest piece in the puzzle, screen/blade.

I just need someone to shoot a coat of clear on these parts, as i'm rather shit at painting, think they would look a million times better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000155sml.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	235.4 KB 
ID:	63706  

Bike
    Honda F4i
    Did you make the double bubble yourself? or did you already have that mold?
    I wave to every biker I see.

Bike
    El Scooto
    i took a mold off a double bubble screen,

Bike
    08 RMZ250
    nice work their. carbon has been done on half of the main parts of my bike.
    and looks realy trippy. After the first coat of clear, it adds a real depth to the carbon. hopefully be getting some photos in the next couple of weeks with it all back together.
    Keep up the good work.

Bike
    How would you go about making moulds if you wanted to make larger parts like farings?
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    El Scooto
    The process is exactly the same for larger parts, just take a mold straight off the fairing.

Or you can cut corners and lay the carbon straight over the fairing.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy L View Post
    nice work their. carbon has been done on half of the main parts of my bike.
    and looks realy trippy. After the first coat of clear, it adds a real depth to the carbon. hopefully be getting some photos in the next couple of weeks with it all back together.
    I look foward to seeing some of these pictures

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Thenaughtebucket View Post
    I just need someone to shoot a coat of clear on these parts, as i'm rather shit at painting.
    PM Crazefox, resident KB Welly painter.

Thread Information