Thread: Fiberglass Flairings

Bike
    Walking

Fiberglass Flairings

When I brought my RGV, it came with a set of Flairing moulds. Anyone know about Fiberglassing? Any web site with tips on how to do it?

Bike
    98 HondaRS125
    My advice,find someone that works for a boat builder and see if they will do it as homers/cashies.
    Maybe if you get some holidays,you could volanteer to work for free for them for your holiday and find out how to do it.
    Luv it!

Bike
    gone
    or a surfboard shaper

Bike
    farmquad
    I've done a bit of fiberglassing ...shaped a couple boards and repaired my own fiberglass fairings. I know a little about moulds too having attempted to make some for a previous bike. in the end the bike was nicked before they were finished so i tossed them when i moved house. anyway i can help point you in the right direction on some things. There is a couple steps to the process.
    1 You must carnuba wax the inside of the mold
    2 then apply mould release compound to the waxed mold
    3 layer the cloth and resin to the desired thickness, adding more to the stressed areas (around openings and where they bolt up as well as where they'll touch if it goes down)
    4 let dry then pop out and trim.

I'm not sure about painting/finishing etc.

I'm sure the first couple times it will be trial and error till you get a good finish and iron out any teething issues with the mold.
    Fiberglassing is easy if You take Your time and there are a few tricks.

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    What model RGV is it for?  Mine is a K and you could persuade me to buy some sides and front off you if the price is right!

Bike
    Walking
    Thanks for those tips.

It was sold to me as a 1990 M model. Have taken it to the local Suzuki shop, who thinks it's a 89 frame and motor, with 91 upsidedown forks and "banana arm" . I'm looking for a rear wheel hugger to fit it, if anyone know where one is. RGV250, 1991 swing arm.
    Also, as it's a Jap import, I'm not sure if the ignition control box is still the restricked one or not. It has been set up in race trim, different carb's etc, but the ignition control box has the # M7401 on it. Anyone know if that a resticked box?

Bike
    1991 Kawasaki ZXR400L1
    I think it was the newer models from N onwards that were restricted....could be wrong tho.

There is a good thread about RGV Power valves in the FAQ section at http://www.extreme-internet.com.au/~rgv/forum/

I have a spare rear hugger I don't need but it is for the non-banana swingarm.

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    Ive got a Bro in law in Okato who is pretty good at glass - he makes surfboards and has done the odd glass boat. If you want his details just PM or email me
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Bike
    Not many, if any
    Just go ask ur dad! hell do it

or at least thats all i did - "Oi daddy, go makes me somes fibreglass farings" haha, soon to be learning myself as my last memory of fibreglassing was of when i was about 5yo

Thread Information