Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a new bike - Suzuki XF650 Freewind

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Well done NigelP. Sounds laike a very good buy. I have 35k on my Nov.1999 Freewind. Great bike!
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    DRZ400
    Took the bike on my first decent ride this weekend, did about 700kms going Chch to Oamaru and back. Goes very nice, and cruises very well at 110 with enough power for passing etc. Took it on a few gravel roads on my way out shooting on Saturday night and found that it tended to wander a bit on the gravel road at anything greater than 60km/h. I am guessing that it was the tyre pressure I had in it. What pressure do you guys use in the gravel? Was a good nights shooting (21 hares and 3 rabbits - few nice on the run headshots and all)! Was a bit dissappointed at the bikes lights at night, they need adjusting as they are set way too low but pretty average penetration at 120km/h anyway. Overall good weekend however a bit weary as not using to doing the miles on a bike.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    Took the bike on my first decent ride this weekend, did about 700kms going Chch to Oamaru and back. Goes very nice, and cruises very well at 110 with enough power for passing etc. Took it on a few gravel roads on my way out shooting on Saturday night and found that it tended to wander a bit on the gravel road at anything greater than 60km/h. I am guessing that it was the tyre pressure I had in it. What pressure do you guys use in the gravel? Was a good nights shooting (21 hares and 3 rabbits - few nice on the run headshots and all)! Was a bit dissappointed at the bikes lights at night, they need adjusting as they are set way too low but pretty average penetration at 120km/h anyway. Overall good weekend however a bit weary as not using to doing the miles on a bike.
    I think we might have passed you this afternoon as you were leaving Oamaru around 3 or 4pm. (we were coming in from Morven towards Oamaru)

Do you remember seeing a blue Triumph Tiger (two up) waving to you?

We took a good look at you because we thought it might have been KB's XF650 from Ashvegas, who is a friend of ours.

You looked very "new", new bike, new gear etc, nice! Cheers John.

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    I think we might have passed you this afternoon as you were leaving Oamaru around 3 or 4pm. (we were coming in from Morven towards Oamaru)

Do you remember seeing a blue Triumph Tiger (two up) waving to you?

We took a good look at you because we thought it might have been KB's XF650 from Ashvegas, who is a friend of ours.

You looked very "new", new bike, new gear etc, nice! Cheers John.
    Yeah I do remember passing a Tiger, around Glenavy or near seven mile road, there were a lot of bikes out yesterday! Was a nice day for it!

Bike
    Triumph Thruxton / 81 Guzzi MKIII
    congrats on your new toy I hope you found time to get it dirty while hunting. I'm sure it won't take long for you you to get use doing the distance on the bike. The Brass is a good rally & its a good trip through the Danseys which you probably know since its your old backyard.

Bike
    Yamaha DT230

Lights

I concur the headlight on the early Freewind's are shite.
    If you intend to do much night riding, comments on the net are to dismantle the assembly (not easy), clean the reflector & upgrade the bulb.
    Another suggestion is to fit a decent driving light, mounted via the horn bracket.

Bike
    Be careful off road. It's a big bike to put down. I didn't get on well. Knocking a few pounds out of the tyres will help, but not enough. I know that other posters have put on a larger front wheel for off-road purposes.
    Good luck.
    “PHEW.....JUST MADE IT............................. UP"

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    Well it is good to hear that you found a new bike that you like, well done.

PS: only just found the thread.
    Feel the fear and do it anyway

Don't confuse education with intelligence.
    There are alot of highly educated idiots out there.

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    Took it on a few gravel roads on my way out shooting on Saturday night and found that it tended to wander a bit on the gravel road at anything greater than 60km/h.
    Hi man,

On the gravel is very normal for the rear to wander a bit or a lot. Is the front you have to worry about.

I had a worn front trailwing and the first time I took the bike offroad found it disappointing. They call them death wings as well. I upgraded to the deathwings 301 as they were only $70 and I commute daily on my bike. To my surprise, it completely changed the bike off road (heaps more control and braking power).

Next set are going to be Michelins T63s. Have a browse on the on/off tyre forums.

Very nice bike by the way... How much it weighs? is it a 21" at the front?

later,
    Windboy.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Does a Freewind run on baked beans?
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by windboy View Post
    Hi man,

On the gravel is very normal for the rear to wander a bit or a lot. Is the front you have to worry about.

I had a worn front trailwing and the first time I took the bike offroad found it disappointing. They call them death wings as well. I upgraded to the deathwings 301 as they were only $70 and I commute daily on my bike. To my surprise, it completely changed the bike off road (heaps more control and braking power).

Next set are going to be Michelins T63s. Have a browse on the on/off tyre forums.

later,

It has brand new TW42s on it. Will see how long they last and play around with the pressures to see if I can get it better! It weighs 167kg dry and has the 19inch front wheel. Its a few kgs less than the dakar I was looking at and the reliability of the DR650.

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    Does a Freewind run on baked beans?
    Only the rider!

Bike
    DRZ400
    Just got my hand guards that I ordered when I brought it today and put them on tonight! Hopefully will mean its a bit warmer on the fingies on these cold mornings! Just waiting on the larger screen and givi pack rack for panniers then I will be all set. It is going to take 8 weeks from Italy supposedly! I guess when you buy an "uncommon" bike you can expect to wait for parts!

On another note, how do you adjust the headlights. I want to move the beam up a bit? I see a hole in the side of the front fairing but cant see any sort of adjuster????

Bike
    Yamaha DT230

Headlight adjustment

Nigel
    The hex screw via the hole in the left side of fairing is for horizontal adjustment.
    The screw via the hole in the right side is for vertical adjustment.

For a workshop manual you can buy a PDF download from datamanuals.com
    However headlight adjustment is only described in the owners handbook, not the workshop service manual.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by windboy View Post
    Hi man,

later,
    Nice one Windboy. Off-Road/Commuting tyres noted! Thanks.

Thread Information