Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally got a new bike - Suzuki XF650 Freewind

Bike
    DRZ400

Thumbs up Finally got a new bike - Suzuki XF650 Freewind

Well after much humming and haaing I have finally got a new bike. It is a 1997 Suzuki XF650 Freewind with 15ks. Nice wee bike, has just got a new set of trailwing tyres so will be interested to see how they go in the gravel. Will post up some pics when I have the time to take some! It appears pretty mint with one owner for all that time and only a couple of scratches on it. Took it for a blat around the port hills and a wee stretch of its legs on the motorway and goes very well.

Hope to see you all out there on the local rides now!

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Congratulations. 1 owner and 15ks is pretty good, sounds like a good buy. See you around sometime
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Nice one, enjoy!
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Yamaha DT230
    Welcome to the XF650 Club, Nigel.
    While only 40 Freewinds were sold in NZ (mostly up north), there's a few owners on this forum who are happy to share any info you may require.
    Enjoy your ride.

Bike
    DRZ400

And some pictures

Sorry, not the best pics as from my cell phone as camera battery is dead.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freewind.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	239.0 KB 
ID:	60317  

Bike
    BMW 1200GS HP2
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    Well after much humming and haaing I have finally got a new bike. It is a 1997 Suzuki XF650 Freewind with 15ks. Nice wee bike, has just got a new set of trailwing tyres so will be interested to see how they go in the gravel. Will post up some pics when I have the time to take some! It appears pretty mint with one owner for all that time and only a couple of scratches on it. Took it for a blat around the port hills and a wee stretch of its legs on the motorway and goes very well.

Hope to see you all out there on the local rides now!
    Good score Nigel. There's plenty of great riding around Canterbury, for which the XF is well suited for. All the best.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Next step is to prep it for a fall and pack it for the Brass Monkey Adventure and Rally.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Thats a bit shiny - will have to go and get it dirty. Well done on the purchase. See you around sometime.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    02 ktm 640 enduro
    good score nigel ... now to get it dirty ...
    ... you know it's a bit windy when you get passed by your own dust ...

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    Next step is to prep it for a fall and pack it for the Brass Monkey Adventure and Rally.
    Anything specifically I need to do to prep it for a fall? Havent found too much info other than its a dual carb DR650 motor and different frame with more plastics to break!

As for the brass monkey...will have to see about that one! Get a few more miles under my belt before I decide!

Bike
    Yamaha DT230
    As well as twin carbs, the XF motor has bigger valves than the DR. Otherwise it's the same. With your jetting & muffler mods you should be well over 40hp @ the back wheel.
    Brass Monkey would be a great trip for you Nigel - it was the first overnight run I did on my Freewind & they carry the camping gear well. This year we intend going via Dansey's Pass (weather permitting) & you are welcome to join us.

Bike
    DRZ400
    Quote Originally Posted by XF650 View Post
    As well as twin carbs, the XF motor has bigger valves than the DR. Otherwise it's the same. With your jetting & muffler mods you should be well over 40hp @ the back wheel.
    Brass Monkey would be a great trip for you Nigel - it was the first overnight run I did on my Freewind & they carry the extra gear well. This year we intend going via Dansey's Pass (weather permitting) & you are welcome to join us.
    I kind on know the Danseys Area as was brought up in Oamaru! Will definately think about the trip, just browsing Brass Monkey website at the moment finding inspiration!

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    PLUG, myself and some others are taking a long dirty way there and probably long way back including Mondays public holiday similar to last years adventure.

As for crash proofing...
    - is that bash plate plastic of metal?
    - Handguards with the alloy bar in them are important to me and my leavers.
    - Do they have a crash bar setup for the Freewind? I put some on the Transalp and swear bu them too, however...the Plastics are usually tougher than you think but still scratch easily so you might at least want to consider some of that clear film to stick on to protect ya paint. The stuff isn't as cheap as it could be and can be a bit tricky to get nice especially on double curves. Good to stick that stuff on the rear side pannels too where either they might hit the deck or your saddlebags might rub.

That's the stuff i'd start with looking at on any new bike with painted plastic that i'm taking to shingle, fords and even the surprise im mud this time roads.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelp View Post
    I kind on know the Danseys Area as was brought up in Oamaru! Will definately think about the trip, just browsing Brass Monkey website at the moment finding inspiration!
    What do you need "inspiration" for you have got a "Freewind" go with the flow and enjoy it!

Well done in buying the bike follow through with the invitation to go to the Brass. Cheers John.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Brass Monkey insperation... my 2005 trip photos and story... or my 2006 youtube video.

Thread Information