Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Adventure bikes on Trade Me

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisanga View Post
    Apart from the time issue.. I wonder how hard such a trip would actually be to do, once the bike is purchased and shipped to Africa how much would it cost??? hmmm i'm sure it's easier than I think... i.e. probably don't actually need to win Lotto to do it....perhaps being passionate and driven to do it would be enough..... just dreaming out loud ...dreaming dreaming
    I'm pretty sure if you are well organised with documentation then it isnt actually that hard when the wheels are on the land of choice. As for cost - who knows? I've just been looking on the Horizons Unlimited site and found that for probably about $800-$1000 (very roughly) nz you could ship you bike by sea to Cape Town.

I've just read Lois on the Loose by Lois Pryce about her trip from Alaska to Ushuaia and am inspired. I have the Adventure Motorcycling Handbook by Chris Scott on the way. Now I just have to get wifey confident on a bike and convince her to try something like this. Maybe, just maybe in about 3 years something may happen.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Hi Ryan

Shame you are heading to Sweden at the end of the year, we are planning to go next year and hope to ride a bit in Sweden and Norway

Depends if i can save some money, or spend it on bikes before I go

Otherwise we could of done a tour together

Cheers Scott

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Bike
    KTM 990 Adventure '06
    My 990 is still for sale over here in Aus if you'd rather do a closer desert trip $18,750 buys it at the moment....
    It's the only one on www.bikesales.com.au

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Zukin View Post
    Hi Ryan

Shame you are heading to Sweden at the end of the year, we are planning to go next year and hope to ride a bit in Sweden and Norway

Depends if i can save some money, or spend it on bikes before I go

Otherwise we could of done a tour together

Cheers Scott
    Whoa - my little day dream earlier is quite separate from the reality of this September when we are going over. No riding this sep, just visiting our third niece/nephew (to be born in few weeks). My bro in law married a Swedish girl from Areavara near Pajala (see if you can find them - hint G.E.).

I saw in another thread that you were going over next year. Wifey and I did our belated honey moon (due to my ruptured Achilles - I should leave myself alone) in Jan/Feb 2006 i.e. best bit of winter. We spend 4 weeks around Uppsala/Stockholm and 1 week in in Areavara/Pajala with a trip to Kiruna/Jukkasjarvi and to see the Ice Hotel. Got one day of -30 degrees celcius (rough stuff) when above the circle but mostly between -10 and -20 which is pretty easy to deal with. If you want some inspiration and a some contacts for sweden check out this adv thread.

If you want any info/advice on Sweden I'm glad to try and help where I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Horney1 View Post
    My 990 is still for sale over here in Aus if you'd rather do a closer desert trip $18,750 buys it at the moment....
    It's the only one on www.bikesales.com.au
    Good try but no thanks. Your not having much luck though. Would have though it would have been snapped up - wide open spaces and all that.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    KTM 990 Adventure '06
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post

Good try but no thanks. Your not having much luck though. Would have though it would have been snapped up - wide open spaces and all that.

Cheers R

Oh well, it was worth a shot!

Yes, not too many offers on it. I think half of the problem is getting the right person to find it. It's a big country over here with many people and many different forums. So it's a pretty hit and miss affair really. I thought the bikesales site I advertised on would be fairly good but as with most computer data these days it's all located by specifically looking for KTM and 990 or by price. If someone searches by price then they get pages and pages of bikes and I'd be lucky to be on the first couple. I'm going to try one of our bike sales magazines next. At least with that people actually see every bike in it...

Another factor is that I started with what was probably a top price for it and a lot of people aren't in that sort of price range for a bike. But like you, I would have thought someone would have snapped it up. I know I would have when I was looking!

Anyway, good luck with your travels. There's a lot of interesting stuff out there to see.

Cheers

Bike
    CBR250RR, 640Adventure, R1
    1992 Africa Twin - SOLD
    $4500, 37,000km, Thames
    http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/De...rcycletradernz
    Inspiration:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...da+dakar+bikes

2000 KTM 640 Adventure
    $8500, 17,500km, Wanganui, lowered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92AT.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	61149   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00640a.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	61183  

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by CBobR View Post
    2000 KTM 640 Adventure
    $8500, 17,500km, Wanganui, lowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitelock Suzuki
    EXTRAS ADDED ARE HYDRAULIC CLUTCH, SWITCH GEAR ALTERED TO SAME AS 450 - THE HEADLIGHT CAN BE MANUALLY SHUT OFF, HANDLEBAR RISERS, CENTRE STAND, LOWERED 2 AND 1/3 INCHES
    Must've been an Aussie or US-spec model with no light switch. The sidestand would be the addition, as the centrestand has long been the standard part. Handlebar risers and hydraulic clutch are now standard.

Bugger-all kays on it, I'll do it's annual mileage just on the weekend away to the Brass!

I've asked the obvious question, how was it lowered? and the not so obvious, by whom?

This is only the second one I've seen for sale in 3 years. That is, the second older one, not including the "near new" '05 (above) and the '06 turned over last year by AMPS.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    Must've been an Aussie or US-spec model with no light switch. The sidestand would be the addition, as the centrestand has long been the standard part. Handlebar risers and hydraulic clutch are now standard.

Bugger-all kays on it, I'll do it's annual mileage just on the weekend away to the Brass!

I've asked the obvious question, how was it lowered? and the not so obvious, by whom?

This is only the second one I've seen for sale in 3 years. That is, the second older one, not including the "near new" '05 (above) and the '06 turned over last year by AMPS.
    Stop teasing! Maybe in a years time.

Anybody want a to buy a DR650 and give me a few extra dollars?

Cheers R

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Never crashed, one little old lady owner.

Last edited by NordieBoy; 15th May 2007 at 08:41. Reason: Damn, that smiley looks like someone having an epeletic fit.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Never crashed, one little old lady owner.

I have no idea what you are talking about - bent handle bars happen all the time. Little as in little bit big?

Cheers R

Bike
    2001 BMW F650GS Dakar

690 Adventure?

Has anyone heard that rumour?

A ktm dealer on the shore let it slip last week.

Based on the 690 supermoto. Sat on one and felt very nice and compact. Felt like a much smaller bike than the transalp.
    Windboy.

Bike
    2007 KLR 650 ( The original Model )

Thumbs up Cheap KLR650 for Sale on Trademe

Quote Originally Posted by CBobR View Post
    2005 KTM 640 Adventure
    12,000km, $12,000, heated grips and tankbag, Dunedin
    1990 Yamaha XTZ750 Super Tenere
    10,500km, $6,000, Auckland
    1997 Cagiva Elefant
    $6800ono, 49,000km, Christchurch
    Well that's all well and good for those of us that can afford such machines, but for someone just looking at starting into adventure biking or looking to upgrade from their 250 etc, a good buy can be had on Trademe at present in the form of a 1989 KLR650 for around the $2500 mark

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=100201225

It's only got 35,000k's on the clock which for one of them is just run in nicely ( I've got 16,000km on my current one, and it's only 6 months old )

It's obviously spent a lot of tome outside as the red panelwork is faded to hell, but bear in mind with a panel set brought in from the states, and with a motor and frame paint job, it could be looking like a new machine in no time

Actually I've still got a full set of Kawasaki Lime Racing Green panels I took off my other KLR and replaced with red before I highsided it Make me an offer....

I know I'm biased, but as for the performance of the KLR's, just ask cooneyr, plug, transalper or timg about how they handle on the gravel

Just a thought, Stu
    Last edited by RedKLR650; 15th May 2007 at 10:42. Reason: Spelling mistake :-(

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by windboy View Post

A ktm dealer on the shore let it slip last week.

Based on the 690 supermoto. Sat on one and felt very nice and compact. Felt like a much smaller bike than the transalp.
    KTM seem to be keeping it pretty quite - is it just a figment of our imaginations? How stressed is the 690 motor? Its one thing to run it in competition bikes like the Rallye and the Supermoto but Adv riders don't want to be doing rebuilds every 50,000kms let alone 10,000kms.

It would completely displace the 640 Adv I would have though so maybe they are waiting till that model is considered close to outdated first before serious development begins. This strategy makes sense given that there seems to be nothing out there about a 690 Adv - not even concept drawings/designs/specs.

Cheers R

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by RedKLR650 View Post
    .........I know I'm biased, but as for the performance of the KLR's, just ask cooneyr, plug, transalper or timg about how they handle on the gravel

Just a thought, Stu
    You bas tad - you showered me in stones as you passed when I was doing 100kph on the Waitangi day ride. Still makes me wince thinking about the stones hitting me at that speed.

Cheers R

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by windboy View Post
    On advrider.com: KTM 690 Adventure/SM threadfest...

The 690 is the 'next generation' LC4 to replace the aging 640 (actually 625cc), which has been around since 1996, with few changes: the High Flow head in 2003 being the most significant revision. The 690 will probably be less stressed than the 640 due to major engineering enhancements. It's not going to be like a WR250F/CRF250.

So yeah, Ryan you are on the money! but the time is now.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Thread Information