Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: fzr400 exup

Bike
    Wha??? I done good!

Did I do bad?
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Colapop View Post
    Wha??? I done good!

Did I do bad?

fark - it's dirty and gloomy down in the bowels of this thing...

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    What I'm still wondering about is how did Str8 get sold such a lemon in the first place?

How is your diagnosis going Paul and will it be out of intensive care sometime soon?
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    What I'm still wondering about is how did Str8 get sold such a lemon in the first place?

How is your diagnosis going Paul and will it be out of intensive care sometime soon?
    Lemon is a very emotive term and maybe thats a matter for personal opinion - one mans gold is anothers brass and this IS a 20 year old bike all said and done. I've seen far worse and I've seen better. Its a mixed bag thus far and while I'm prepared to comment on stuff I can see - I'm NOT going to get involved in what may have happened in the past because it's all conjecture and it won't help me get the bike running. This bike is no different to hundreds of similar used jap imports Merv and the normal rules don't always apply. No one can tell what has happened in the past or where it has been. I'm starting to think it's done more work than is on the odometer but NO ONE can be sure of that. All I've got is the cold corpse.

My research thus far indicates that FZR400's have several 'known' faults. The worse of them being soft inlet valves and this is my # 1 suspect as it fits all known FACTS - however - more investigation is required.

Its also been difficult to start (a sign of valve trouble). This is a bad thing in any vehicle and is usually a sign of multiple problems. I have found several things that have alarmed me greatly and I will rectify them all with time. Some of these are relatively recent - some older.

It was a good bike once and I think I can make a good bike again - regardless of its history. But - it's glory days are well gone.

Paul N

btw - I would doubt that an FZR400 would ever be a bike I would rely on as my only transport. Fast and furious fun sure - but its old and delicate.

edit - I think it's fair to say - I was mildly outraged at the state a certain workshop left it in for the owner to deliver to me - to leave engine covers off and the plugs out in an engine like this - without clearing the valley between the cam boxes of road debris is both lazy and un professional and has created several problems for me. Not impressed!

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    I'll need a paddock stand to do that as the side stand connects to the steel subframe - any suggestions on a suitable stand for an 88 FZR?
    I've got one of these (actually the Mk I) - you're welcome to try it for size, but I can't really let you borrow it long term since (shock, horror!) I actually use it!

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by hsvboy06 View Post
    I've got one of these these (actually the Mk I) - you're welcome to try it for size, but I can't really let you borrow it long term since (shock, horror!) I actually use it!
    Thanks very much for the offer but I'm arranging to purchase one because - well - this could take a while. I'm now responsible for a few other things at work and time is precious

Bike
    None
    Yeah, I figured as much. I guess I was really just saying that buying one from swanman is an option, and you'd be welcome to try mine before buying one. No matter if you've got it sorted some other way. All good.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    can anyone please tell me of a GOOD RELIABLE source of genuine Yamaha parts (gaskets etc) that will deal with me over the phone?

there is wam_yam or simlar member here who works @ wakato yamaha that might help

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    there is wam_yam or simlar member here who works @ wakato yamaha that might help
    Will he make himself known?? COME ON IN Mr ?

Bike
    None

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Paul---gimme another yeodle-the guys at Henderson Motorcycles are well up to speed with parts for that particular model--the other man you MUST make contact with is Greg percival--Um G percival on kb---Hes been racing and rebuilding em forever
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Paul---gimme another yeodle-the guys at Henderson Motorcycles are well up to speed with parts for that particular model--the other man you MUST make contact with is Greg percival--Um G percival on kb---Hes been racing and rebuilding em forever
    Thanks Tony. Any and all practical help is gratefully recieved.

Folks - I've recieved a lot of interest in this thread OK. I know the history - I know the stories and looking at the corpse - it's telling me it's own story and THAT story will be in this thread - NOTHING else.

I'm on a mission to make good this bike and I want to learn a bit more in the process. Learn about bikes OK - I already know too much about people!!!!!

I have not and will not point at anyone - this bikes a sick puppy - it's been used hard and put away wet for 20YEARS. WELL before any of the recent owners ever saw it. EXAMPLE - I have found a rubber tube on top of the crankcase - its made by Yamaha - lets assume Yamaha are not in the business of smuggling rubber tubes in used motorcycles so - at one stage this tube performed a function. What was it???? I dunno but I bet it was not there as a decorative item. To find it - I had to remove a ton of shit... and it had been there a looooong time.

I'm happy to delete this whole thread if it upsets everyone but I'm of the opinion that this will be a fun exercise. Frankly I reckon you are all scared I'll turn out to be an ace mech and a fuckin gun rider on a jap 4 and show you all up for the pussies you are...

Thanks...

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Keep at it Paul and I'll love hearing how it progresses.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Honda PC800
    said rubber tube is most likely the crankcase breather -runs up to the airbox fromthe crankcase end
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Thread Information