Thread: New tyres = new bike, holy smokes !

Bike
    2010 CB600, 2007 ZX14

Thumbs up New tyres = new bike, holy smokes !

I don't know how to make short posts when I'm a) excited and b) talking about my bike, this post won't have much point but I felt like giving props where props are due.

Well, my old tyres (front pirelli, back shinko *ugh*) were due for tyre heaven as they had pretty much no tread left (apart from chicken strips, where the tread looked brand new! ) and Donor told me about these Avon tyres, and reading threads on here it seemed the general concensus was that new Avon tyres = awesome and Motohaus = awesomer. So I went in yesterday to see what tyres I should get and Kerry (I see why so many people hold this man in high regard.) helped me greatly on which tyre to choose, so I chose a set and took the bike back today to get it done.

My bike is old, ooooold, it took some trouble on their part to fit the tyres and on inspection the other guy working there, I think his name was Matt? He had an accent, anyway he called me over to show me that I infact had no brake pads left (well, pretty much) and that it would basically be a crime to let me go knowing this. So $65 later I have a new brake pad (holy shit, I don't have to grab a fistful of brake just to stop in 50km zones!). The guy said he was glad I let him put new ones on, I said with a little sarcasm that I would like to live past 250cc, he promtly said "I think you'll need to know a little bit more about your bikes before you go above 250cc". He sure put me in my place, and rightfully so.. riding on such shitty brakes was a dick move on my part.

So about an hour or so in the bike is ready and I paid (a decent price, I might add.) and get some tips from Kerry on riding on new tyres and off I went.

This is where it got interesting.

Now I thought my bike was just too small for me (Tall, not fat), and that cornering on such a bike was always going to be awkward. I've ridden a few other bigger 250's and found that the cornering was much better and along with the ZZR1100 I sometimes....ride... *cough*.... that the bike as a whole turned into the corner, almost with the sensation that it's falling over (which it isn't, it's just a nice feeling). My bike never did this, my front tyre always needed air every 200km or so, when I went into a corner I had to force it down rather than ride into it.

Now, though. It moves as a whole and I finally feel like I have an actual complete motorcycle, one that can take corners on and one that I can be confident in taking corners on.

I just thought I'd share with you all on how I smiled all the way from Western Springs to Manurewa, it's not the most worthiest topic to be a thread, but godamn, I just can't believe it? I'm still on a high from the sensation I get from taking small corners, I can't _wait_ to break the tyres in and tackle some good twisty roads.

By the way, Motohaus in Western Springs = good. Kerry is a fucking top bloke, apologised for taking a while on my bike, when I should be apologising for not looking after it! If you're in need of tyres I highly reccommend you go see him, they do not skip corners and were 110% on everything they did on my bike. Can't speak highly enough of him.

ANYWHO, I shall go rehydrate after typing such a long post Hope at least one person reads it :P hehe

Time to get to work and watch the hours count down untill I can take these tyres out on the road again.

Bike
    AX100 "Poppy"
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zeocen View Post
    Hope at least one person reads it :P hehe

One person counted in already
    Sounds awesome, and thanks for the tips

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education ~ Mark Twain

Vegetarian Motorcyclists Unite

nice one zeocen.

One thing you learn with bike, never be tight with your money when it comes to tires and brakes, on your bike.

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    nice one zeocen.

One thing you learn with bike, never be tight with your money when it comes to tires and brakes, on your bike.
    Unless it's the new 00 range from Shinko... I put a Shinko 006 rear ($185 fitted by Boyd Honda, Hamilton)on my FZR400 last week to replace my GPR70 that was balding in the middle from too many wheelies, and damn!!! The grip on this thing is amazing... Now I just need to replace the front GPR70 with a Shinko 006, and I'll be set...

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    I've ridden a few other bigger 250's and found that the cornering was much better and along with the ZZR1100 I sometimes....ride... *cough*.... that the bike as a whole turned into the corner, almost with the sensation that it's falling over (which it isn't, it's just a nice feeling). My bike never did this, my front tyre always needed air every 200km or so, when I went into a corner I had to force it down rather than ride into it.
    That's a sure sign that the front tyre pressure's too low, although profile comes into it too. If your head bearings are notched, there'll also be a reluctance to move past the 'straight ahead' position.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    15 ZX10r, 07 ZX10r, 89 ZXR750
    Sweet dude, I would suggest you buy yourself a tyre gauge and keep an eye on your pressures as this may have be related to you uneasy feeling.
    You’re dammed if you do and you’re dammed if you don’t… Bartholomew J. Simpson

Bike
    K1200S, Superduke R
    Sounds good man, I was thinking of upgrading the stock tyres on the GPX, but they seem to be ok for now.
    www.pacwit.com

Ride reports & Gear Reviews...

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    Well, good to hear that you've sorted yourself out a bit more and spent the coin to enjoy your biking more!

So, what else will you bling on your bike now?
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    2010 CB600, 2007 ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    nice one zeocen.

I hear that, although Kerry did mention that there were cheaper options, I was willing to pay for safety first and foremost. Then the other guy showed me my brakes, I told him I wouldn't know what I was looking at and he explained to me what they should look like, and what they looked like now... well.. needless to say, price wasn't really an option hehe

Bike
    2010 CB600, 2007 ZX14
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoe1313 View Post
    Well, good to hear that you've sorted yourself out a bit more and spent the coin to enjoy your biking more!

So, what else will you bling on your bike now?
    Unless something breaks *touch wood*, nothing! Because I'm dirt poor now!

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    Unless something breaks *touch wood*, nothing! Because I'm dirt poor now!
    How much did the tires set you back?

Bike
    2010 CB600, 2007 ZX14
    $380ish not including the new brake pad, oh I should also mention that Kerry gave a 10% discount because I was a kiwibiker, which made my day!

Bike
    675cc of naked British goodness
    As a matter of interest..... what pressures did Kerry tell you to put in those Avons..... I assume they are the Roadriders that you got?
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" - Socrates

"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind" - Aristotle

Bike
    2010 CB600, 2007 ZX14
    I never bothered to ask to be honest, I just assumed it was like all other tyres for my bike, 28/32 or if doing faster speeds 29/32.

Yeah the rear is roadrunner, front is HKM.

Had a little spat around papakura/alfriston back roads before, hoohoobaby I'm going to have fun on these tyres.

Bike
    675cc of naked British goodness
    Interesting, only reason I ask is Kerry told me to stick 34/38 in mine... other people (including guys at Botany Honda) have said that is way too high... but I figure the guy who sold them to me should know.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" - Socrates

"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind" - Aristotle

Thread Information