View Poll Results: Should I buy an old dunger and have a go at doing it up?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Give it a go, you can do it

46 85.19%
  • Don't bother

6 11.11%
  • Go back to playing with barbie

1 1.85%
  • Girls are to dumb to work on bikes

1 1.85%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project..

Project..

Okay well as most of you know I purchased my first bike a few months back.... Lately I've had a few problems with my bike, but I've finally managed to get it going and running fine... In managing to do this I've felt a huge sense of pride... I'm so proud of myself for taking steps and not being afraid to work on my own bike.. I still smile when I think about it...

My dad was a mechanic who never had the chance to teach me, or share his knowledge with me even though at one stage I was interested in learning...

In saying that, people who have watched me work, know and realize that it is like monkey see monkey do when it comes to pulling things apart and putting things back together.. I'm quite capable of pulling things to bits myself, looking, taking things in and trying to figure out how things should be working.. I do manage it quite well, after some stages of confusion...

Lately I've been wondering about wether or not to take on another bike but as a project.. Doing it up.. In a way its also so that I have a bike that I can fiddle around with, and pull to bits without being rushed, knowing that I have to put it back together asap.. I feel maybe it could be a good way for me to learn the things that I want to/need to know when it comes to bikes..

Deep down I feel I should do it.. But another part of me tells me to stop kidding myself and that I'd be biting off more than I could chew..

Bike
    sea bass bandit250
    Give it a go, I know what you mean by the sense of achievement you get when ya get something on your bike working properly. So a project bike would be an even better way to learn more about bikes dirty bits.

I'm sure you wont regret it, but it may end up like some other projects sitting in the garage for much longer than anticipated.

But look on the bright side, you don't have a girlfriend to complain about it.

Quote Originally Posted by dnos View Post
    Give it a go, I know what you mean by the sense of achievement you get when ya get something on your bike working properly. So a project bike would be an even better way to learn more about bikes dirty bits.

I'm sure you wont regret it, but it may end up like some other projects sitting in the garage for much longer than anticipated.

But look on the bright side, you don't have a girlfriend to complain about it.
    Greatest sense of achievement.. Still can't whipe the grin off my face..

4 days on 4 days off.. I don't think I'd have an issue finding the time... Even if its just gradual tinkering here and there when I feel like it i'd be okay with that...

Just got a partner who hates my bike...

Bike
    sea bass bandit250
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKiTtiExX View Post
    Just got a partner who hates my bike...
    Whats with that?
    Oh well just keep buying more till ya get one he likes

Whats with that?
    He's lost a fair few friends because of motorbikes..

Bike
    Tojo and nothing. Damnit.
    If you do get a project bike, don't bite off more than you can chew. Start with something simple that only needs a tidyup. Ie. Don't get something rare with a bent frame and a missing gearbox in the aim to turn it into a replica flat-track racer from the 70's or something...

I tried the same with cars once, big mistake.

Might I suggest an old scooter in need of some TLC? The Ponsnoby crowd would pay good money for that.

Bike
    Various
    Quote Originally Posted by limbimtimwim View Post
    If you do get a project bike, don't bite off more than you can chew. Start with something simple that only needs a tidyup. Ie. Don't get something rare with a bent frame and a missing gearbox in the aim to turn it into a replica flat-track racer from the 70's or something...
    Got to agree here. The other reason I would suggest for this approach is that if you are not mechanically experienced you could make a mistake which could cost you dearly. If in doubt about something you are doing though, get a manual (heaps available on the Internet) and just follow the proceedures in the manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank
    You say "no one wants to fuck with some large bloke on a really angry sounding bike" but the truth of the matter is that you are a balding middle-aged ice-cream seller from Edgecume who wears a hello kitty t-shirt (in your profile pic) and your angry sounding bike is a fucken hyoshit - not some big assed harley with a human skull on the front.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Whats with that?
    So thats why youve only got the sea bas, cause rach loves it so much and you see no reason to get another

Back on topic.

Go for it, sounds like youve got heaps of time (wish I had 4 days off to mess around in the shead with my bike) just dont bite of anything to big as previously mentioned, otherwise it will sit there in parts in the corner while you are frustrated as buggery or cant afford the parts

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    1981 Yamaha XS650SH chop
    Yeah go for it.

Have to agree with comments so far, pick a simple project to start with, a simple engine. Also something that is cheap to buy and cheap for parts with a good supply of them. If there is a support web page for that type of model of bike or scooter even better as you will get feedback on what to do when you get stuck from people that have done similar things on the same model of machine that you are fixing up.

Good luck.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Start with something cheap and small, keep in mind it will cost you 4 X what you think it will and 8 X as long as you think to finish it
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    i say go for it but some things you will need help with well maybe ...

i'm happy to help you with it when i have my license back...if your nice to me lol

most on this site don't believe it but i do know my shit.

Bike
    1964 triumph tigress
    Hmm its a tough one.Good fun to be had and a real feeling of achievement,If your dad can lend you tools and experience then yeah go for it.(looks like others will help out from here too)but on the other hand amasing the tools and parts can be expensive (so like the posts say dont choose some weird machine or it can get real hard)
    You might need quiet a bit of room in your garage,if the bike comes apart.

Also the time it can take to do can drag on a bit.(which means you can spend all your time working on your bike rather than riding it)

I have a mate that likes finding real bargain priced runners and that has proved to be a far more rewarding use of his time, than constantly tinkering with bits of an old one.He also has a few classic suzukis (in parts) but its riding his yamaha 850 thats taking up his grinning time.

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    project bikes are a great way too learn......We have one as a flat project and will be use as a licening bike for learners etc

so everyone benefits here

but keep it simple as others have already said until your ready for a bigger project

Quote Originally Posted by The Stranger View Post
    Got to agree here. The other reason I would suggest for this approach is that if you are not mechanically experienced you could make a mistake which could cost you dearly. If in doubt about something you are doing though, get a manual (heaps available on the Internet) and just follow the proceedures in the manual.
    Yeah I do understand where you are coming from about me not being mechanically experienced.. Have been worried about making costly mistake as I have heard about it happening.. At the end of the day it is all a huge learning curve.. I'll never know unless I try...

Quote Originally Posted by skidMark View Post
    i say go for it but some things you will need help with well maybe ...

i'm happy to help you with it when i have my license back...if your nice to me lol

most on this site don't believe it but i do know my shit.
    Thanks Mark.. I live to far away for you to help me though.. Nice offer none the less.. (btw I'm always nice)

Thread Information