Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R1 underseat exhaust, whats the advantage?

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu
    An underseat exhaust is like and ear ring in the right ear lobe - a secret sign that you are a homosexual,motorcycle manufactorers have finaly recognised this and built a motorcycle for the homosexual segment of the market.I kinda like being able to spot a queer a mile away...
    Lol Motu, you may be right there!! All of a sudden I've gone off them.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    The CBRs I think look OK until people put aftermarket jobs on them that are so basic just sticking out the back they look stupid in my view.

What will they try next? Have a smoke stack sticking up like a truck or something as they do always have to find the next fashion statement as has already been mentioned.

Stonechucker won't like me saying this, but again its only a personal opinion, no matter how well it goes I don't like the style of the new R1, looks way too plain for my liking. But then I'm a rider from way back.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    1997 Ducati 600 Supersport
    Quote Originally Posted by merv
    What will they try next? Have a smoke stack sticking up like a truck or something as they do always have to find the next fashion statement as has already been mentioned.
    Like those stupid dutch streetfighters???

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k14
    IMO underseat exhausts make alot more sense to have than a normal one.

First point is that if you have a slow 30 or 40kph off you don't damage your $700 yoshi pipe at all, its well protected. This is something that would benefit everyone, including racers. The end can would just about never get damaged.

Secondly the aerodynamics of the bike are alot more ballanced as the bike is more symmetrical.

Thirdly, looks. All bikes with an undertail look so sexy, ala 996, CBR600RR etc. They all look better than the ones with standard exhausts. My opinion though, some other people might think differently.

Think the biggest factor is the first one, just about everyone will be helped by that fact.
    but everyone should be able to see those shiny /carbonyoshis - what's the point of having them?

the TL is balanced - 1 FO big pipe on each side

IMHO the ONLY undertail with REAL sex appeal is the MV F4.....

Bike
    Cali 111 Guzzi
    Straight pipes finishing just behind the running board on the Cali works to stop any damage to the pipes in a slow speed bin. Also keeps the pipes well clear of the back rim for ease of removal.
    Airodynamics be buggered, its a big hunk pushing wads of air infront of it.
    The SP1000 had one of those great big fishing boat dodgers on it and by Jiminy Cricketts they work, could have a fag(smoke variety before you devients take the wrong tack) while riding along no worries.The worste experience of that dodger was having the beard blow upwards and cover my eyes while riding, scarey for a mo(pun intended) but a scarf soon got that under control

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    An underseat exhaust is like and ear ring in the right ear lobe - a secret sign that you are a homosexual,motorcycle manufactorers have finaly recognised this and built a motorcycle for the homosexual segment of the market.I kinda like being able to spot a queer a mile away...
    Why? But that's your business how you guys meet, & consenting adults, privacy of your own home & all that. . .
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2
    The new CBR600RR looks like a baboon's rectum from behind.
    Can't say I've examined either, so I'll just have to take your word for it.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by firestormer
    Can't say I've examined either, so I'll just have to take your word for it.
    Been to the zoo. The Baboons like to press it up against the glass on the viewing windows.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Been to the zoo. The Baboons like to press it up against the glass on the viewing windows.
    Must be friends of, or have been trained by, Dun Mihaka.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Must be friends of, or have been trained by, Dun Mihaka.
    Nah! I think there is some sort of special link with jim2 or summat

They don't do that when I go to the zoo... In fact they stay well away from the glass.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Glad I'm not riding a heap of rotting 80s crap.

I resemble that remark!

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    What will they try next? Have a smoke stack sticking up like a truck or something .
    been done - check out some of the old '70s choppers, with the pipes going up alongside the sissy bar (which was invariably topped with a chrome maltese cross)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    Quote Originally Posted by gav
    Why does the Yamaha R1 have an under seat exhaust? What are the supposed advantages?

So why dont the M1's use it?
    I think it is mainly cosmetic - of course, in an accident on the road, if the exhausts are tucked in, then there is less chance of them being damaged.

On a race bike, all they're worried about is getting the exhausts in the most efficient place. They don't have to worry about noise levels - and also, they'll all be lockwired onto the frame somewhere, so if they do go down (and the bike is able to continue), the exhausts will hopefully hold together until the end of the race.

If a GP bike goes down at 320kmph, there probably won't be enough left to carry on of course...

Someone else here mentioned the Japanese tending to look at one thing at a time, rather than the overall look? The Japanese (this is not an insult) are not great innovators - rather, they can see a thing, then adapt/improve it. So they will look at something, see that it is good, then work out how to make it better/smaller/lighter.

Italians on the other hand? Style is King and they are used to creating, rather than modifying. So what if it has dodgy electrics, the sidestand is an expensive joke (to the rider when it lifts up just as he puts the weight of the bike where it was a moment ago) and it rusts if it as much as sees a weather forecast on the TV? It looks beautiful, so the rest doesn't really matter.

Best of both worlds would be that the Italians made something, then the Japanese made it work properly!
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Just as I suspected
    If it's such an aerodynamic advantage,why did the Busa an ZX12 not bother?Once the airflow runs off the fairing and riders legs there's no smooth flow left,just turbulence......
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Bike
    Old Blue, Little blue
    I quite like the underseat pipes on the 88-89 TZR250 - but then, thats a real bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	503097-Tailc.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	3498  
    “- He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

Thread Information