Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Naked 675 announced

Bike
    Trumpton triple
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch008 View Post
    I didn't read anything remotely like that. And I do read the magazine.

Two big end bearings failed in the Tiger (November '07 issue). Hardly minor I'd have thought, but I guess it depends on your perspective.

Triumph say there is no oil consumption issue with their engines...

Triumph also say the pistons in the Street Triple are a new design to reduce oil consumption. This new design will also be introduced to the Daytona 675.

The 1977 "industry standard" for oil consumption quoted by Triumph is one litre per thousand miles. As BIKE point out nobody makes bikes like that these days.

The BIKE staffer confesses to being an "utter idiot" and "rather stupid". He does write though that a bike shouldn't use half its oil between services and he just wasn't expecting anything like that sort of consumption.

The Tiger had only done 4,000 miles when the engine failed. For an oil and filter change Triumph recommend 3.2l in that engine. When it failed it contained 1.8l.

At no point did the warning light come on, nor did the engine temperature rise.

It's always a good idea to check your oil level and since reading that item I have taken a renewed interest in that particular little window on the side of my bike.

I didn't see anybody say don't buy a Triumph, but if I had one I'd consider it prudent to check the oil regularly. Perhaps even very regularly

OK, thanks for the details. I didn't realise that the Bike magazine test was so recent. For some reason I thought that happened months ago. I'll keep an eye out for the mag and have a read.

The 'don't buy triumph' thing was more of a personal observation - a sort of impression I formed from talking to people, reading teh internets and magazines, etc. For example, the willingness of people to bring up the single, solitary PB test again and again and again as if it is definitive, conclusive proof of something (and I had better add here that this isn't a personally directed comment at you or anyone else on this forum - it is just a personal opinion formed over the last few months).

Bike
    2016 Honda Africa Twin DCT
    It should also be noted that Bikes general treatment of the Tiger was less than perfect and included dropping it whilst crossing a ford in a river resulting in total immersion and left there long enough for the rider or accompanying photographer to grab a pic of bike submerged with headlights still on. And having dropped my 955i Tiger some oil was lost whilst it was on its side with engine running so that may account for some of the Oil loss between servicing, and one of my gripes with the Tiger is its use of a dipstick over sight glass which requires less faffing around to check oil nice and regularly.

Bike
    Motorcycle Trader
    Quote Originally Posted by El Dopa View Post
    Now you've hurt my feelings. I'm just festively plump, OK?

I'm probably close to 100Kg with my gear on. I thought the handling was fine - didn't have a problem with it, just thought it was slightly less nimble than my (smaller) 400.
    Well I am about 65kgs and don't have any problems with the set-up so I guess if that is factory settings they have smallish people in mind to ride this bike. Definately one for the ladies

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by El Dopa View Post
    Well, yeah, it's my personal opinion. Don't get me wrong - I love 95% of the styling of the new Triumphs. I just think they are (badly) let down by some of their finishing touches (rather than core elements), and that to me is a typically British way of going about things.
    You don't listen to your own advice do you?
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    Trumpton triple
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post
    You don't listen to your own advice do you?
    Yeah, I probably should have bought that miracle of modern engineering - a Ducati.

Remind me how much it cost you to get that hole plugged again?

Bike
    Trumpton triple
    Well, someone mentioned a while back that they didn't think Triumph would ever bring out an 'R' version. Can't find the original post - might've been a different thread....

...Anyway, there a few rumours starting to float round regarding a limited edition '09 version with radial brakes, adjustable suspension, and all the other good fruit we were moaning about the 'street' not having.

Here's one link.

The funny thing is, all the links seem to refer back to MCN as the primary source. So I'm phoning my broker to get in quick on some good deals for Siberian salt.

Thread Information