Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SV650 vs. SV650s (for touring)

Bike
    all sorts
    Personally i would get the S model for touring, I had a naked SV and it was great around town but motorways were hard work ... especially on a windy day.

The S is geared slightly higher, i think its a bit longer and obviously has fairings and clipons.

however in saying that, the naked has a more comfortable riding position ...

edit: this thread may help
    http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=90064
    He who makes a beast out of himself
    Gets rid of the pain of being a man

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by shcabbeh View Post
    They seem more like a motorcycle than a toy to me.
    You've hit the nail on the head -- that's exactly what I've always thought. I'm stealing this line from somewhere (maybe from somebody on KB?), but I thought the same when I was a kid; I like cars, but motorcycles have got the priorities right -- the engine, it's right where you can see it! As is most of the rest of the important bits. No point in covering up the beauty, hell I even pulled the side covers off my bike. Airbox and battery is next so you can see the carb

Anyway, that was off topic. But he's right, the wind buffeting is the least of my worries; it takes the weight off your wrists, which is even more important for me now as I've fitted clipons for more twisty fun; if I had a fairing then all the weight would be on my wrists and that would be a bitch (as is commuting). Hence the faired SV650 would be a bad choice for me, as not only do you have a fairing, but it's causing wrist pressure to be even worse than the clipons suggest.

In fact the faired bikes that I've been on (KR150 for any distance), the fairing takes the wind off your chest, but your helmet still cops a fair bit of wash, and it's annoying buffeting wind, not the constant stream you get on a naked.

Complete opposite of McJim's opinion lol.

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    Personally i would get the S model for touring, I had a naked SV and it was great around town but motorways were hard work ... especially on a windy day.

The S is geared slightly higher, i think its a bit longer and obviously has fairings and clipons.

however in saying that, the naked has a more comfortable riding position ...

edit: this thread may help
    http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=90064
    Thanks for the link, though they seem just as divided as us here! I'm gonna have to test ride both, methinks...not that I'm complaining.

Hopefully colemans will let me take one for at least an hour so I can get a good feel to 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat
    Complete opposite of McJim's opinion lol.
    Haha, I wanted different opinions, cheers!
    "Now you've got it. If you owned a Honda then your opinion would matter. You would then know the Ducati you don't own runs like crap." - howie (DML)

Bike
    2013 EX300SE
    I see you've got plenty of feedback. FWIW I find the S pretty comfortable round town, as well as on the open road.

I had a GS500 with a Givi screen before the SV, and after a couple of weeks found the SV more comfortable. Like one of your earlier respondents I'm still carrying the after affects of a few injuries, and have found the sportier riding position surprisingly comfortable.

So saying the seat can be a bit bum-numbing, and I'm sure if you're over 5'10" you might find you're perched out in the weather.

Other than that I'd certainly give the SV-S a go. It handles well, stops well, the motor's fantastic (and reasonably frugal), and it looks pretty good as well. Not that I'm biased of course.

There are three SV sites which I check out. The links are on my home computer so I can't post them, but they are SVRider (American), SV650. org (UK), and SVDown Under (Aussie). Plenty of reading there for you on a cold winter's night.

Bike
    Suzuki V-Strom 1000
    Here's another site for the naked version, bike that is

http://www.geocities.com/catpoopman/Johns_bike.html

That is if you like tinkering with bikes.........down the bottom of the pages 2 more links in previous mentioned posts.

cheers Eric

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwalo View Post
    There are three SV sites which I check out. The links are on my home computer so I can't post them, but they are SVRider (American), SV650. org (UK), and SVDown Under (Aussie). Plenty of reading there for you on a cold winter's night.
    Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Yeah I discovered the first two a while ago and have been regularly reading since. I'll check out the Aussie one too now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    That is if you like tinkering with bikes.........down the bottom of the pages 2 more links in previous mentioned posts.
    Haha yeah I like tinkering with most things. I didn't really get into it with my gixxer because it was such a fucking hassle to remove all the fairings, hold the fuel tank up etc etc just for very basic stuff. I'm hoping to improve my knowledge with my next bike. Probably try and take a course or two as well. Anyway, cheers for that site too!
    "Now you've got it. If you owned a Honda then your opinion would matter. You would then know the Ducati you don't own runs like crap." - howie (DML)

Bike
    2022 GSX-S1000GT
    Just to confuse you a bit more - have you thought about the V-Strom, either the 650 or the thou? By all accounts a primo tourer, and still capable of having fun in the curvy bits. The $$ seem about the same too. The only hurdle might be the looks, which may not be everyone's cuppa...

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    I have considered the Strom. I can handle the looks, it's just that I don't want a fuel injected biked just yet. I'm wanting to learn more about the maintenance of carbs first. This will only be my second bike and I didn't get to do much on my first.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I don't think the looks are too bad, maybe if the bike were just a little lower though.
    Last edited by shcabbeh; 31st May 2007 at 23:44. Reason: typo duel/fuel*

Bike
    Aprilia RSV1000RR
    SVs are injected buddy.

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    SVs are injected buddy.
    Not the first generation ones. 1999-2002

While I appreciate the thoughts on other bikes, I've settled with the SV. I just want to know which of those particular two are better for touring.

Thanks.
    Last edited by shcabbeh; 31st May 2007 at 23:45. Reason: adding

Bike
    all sorts
    I still reckon you want the S for touring, dont forget all the people saying "hard on the wrists/uncomfortable etc." are comparing it to the naked version and not to a sports bike.

The other thing i had trouble with on my naked was getting sore arms from actually having to "hang on" when doing long high speed trips. I actually find sport bikes more comfortable over long distances due to the wind helping to hold you up rather than trying to blow you off the back.

Just my 2p

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Whynot
    Just my 2p
    Just wondering, did you have a windshield at all or just the straight naked?

Bike
    all sorts
    Just wondering, did you have a windshield at all or just the straight naked?
    nah, i thought about getting a screen but never got around to it.

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    Sweet as. Well I'll definitely be test-riding both. Hopefully colemans will let me take it for an hour or so, I can at least begin to see how it'd be for touring that way.

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    Sweet as. Well I'll definitely be test-riding both. Hopefully colemans will let me take it for an hour or so, I can at least begin to see how it'd be for touring that way.
    Be interesting to see what you think ;naked v girls bike.
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Thread Information