Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SV650 vs. SV650s (for touring)

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    I have done far more research into this now and am 90% sure I want the naked version with a windshield I can throw on for touring.

I just can't help but like the style of the naked. Still, I'll let you all know which I decide on when I get the chance to test 'em.

Has anyone had any problems touring on a naked with a windshield?
    "Now you've got it. If you owned a Honda then your opinion would matter. You would then know the Ducati you don't own runs like crap." - howie (DML)

Bike
    2006 r6
    Quote Originally Posted by SVboy View Post
    I did about 7-8000km on my SV650s-mostly on the open road-between 1 to 6-7 hr trips. I found the seat was fine and fairing great. I was always fresh when I arrived. My only issue was my right wrist going to sleep thanks to the sports position of the clipons. This could be managed by clamping the tank with knees, making sure elbows bent, and not grasping the grip too hard. This has been my only issue with the bike and with several trips being around 700kms in one day, I found the bike great.
    you and i have the same wrist technique relief baby! going in a straight line with the ducati riding position is pretty agonising at slow speeds - so it's oscillate between weight on the wrists, weight off the wrists through the tight-thigh-tank-clamp / lift-with the abs/center core and prey to the wrist-god that you get to corner soon - where everything returns to a happy equilibrium with this technique I've managed to do 4.5 hours continuous on the ducati with only get-off-get on gas stops
    [SIGPIC]Little-RED-rinding-H O O D
    http://www.alexmonteith.com/work_detail.php?id=34#

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shcabbeh View Post
    I have done far more research into this now and am 90% sure I want the naked version with a windshield I can throw on for touring.

I just can't help but like the style of the naked. Still, I'll let you all know which I decide on when I get the chance to test 'em.

Has anyone had any problems touring on a naked with a windshield?
    Yes... on a CB900 Hornet. The wind doesn't roll of the screen as nicely then a fairing.
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSX650F
    I spent 25,000 or so miles on a couple of SV650S' over the years - there is a lot more room in the saddle than you would imagine.

This is a review I wrote a couple of years back - hope it is of use.
    http://www.motobke.co.uk

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapf View Post
    Yes... on a CB900 Hornet. The wind doesn't roll of the screen as nicely then a fairing.
    Yeah I didn't think it would. I am pretty resilient when it comes to these things but I'll see how much it bothers me on the test rides. Cheers for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    I spent 25,000 or so miles on a couple of SV650S' over the years - there is a lot more room in the saddle than you would imagine.

This is a review I wrote a couple of years back - hope it is of use.
    Thanks for that Bob, the Fazer has been the main competitor in the battle of my interests. I'm squarely back to the drawing board but am still loving the knowledge I'm taking on here. Appreciate it.
    "Now you've got it. If you owned a Honda then your opinion would matter. You would then know the Ducati you don't own runs like crap." - howie (DML)

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I didn't think it would. I am pretty resilient when it comes to these things but I'll see how much it bothers me on the test rides. Cheers for the feedback!
    No worries... the comment I made is in reference to like 400+km days with headwinds. So not sure a test ride will show that.
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    No worries... the comment I made is in reference to like 400+km days with headwinds. So not sure a test ride will show that.
    Yeah, I've done 400km days on my GSX-R but I imagine it would be quite different. I'm gonna try and test ride the bike for as long as possible. I know some dealers let you borrow it for the weekend, I just don't know which ones...

I'd hope an hour would be long enough to get a general idea anyway. Surely most would let you take it for an hour?

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Surely most would let you take it for an hour?
    SURE... 1 hour at 400km/h + :P

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    SURE... 1 hour at 400km/h + :P
    Mahaha, I sure as hell would not be getting the naked version if it could do 400km/h!

I think I would be able to feel slight stiffness or the beginning of any aches that may become a problem after an hour. Then again maybe that's just me used to my old gixxer...

Nah I think I could tell if the wind at motorway speeds would be a problem for me on the naked in an hour. Only one way to find out anyway.

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    Mahaha, I sure as hell would not be getting the naked version if it could do 400km/h!

Nah I think I could tell if the wind at motorway speeds would be a problem for me on the naked in an hour. Only one way to find out anyway.
    Wind won't be the problem @ motorway speed . are
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jafar View Post
    Wind won't be the problem @ motorway speed . are
    true, just watch those annoying days with headwinds

Bike
    Bikes!
    Biggest difference is the bar reach... but that's not actually where the biggest problem lies! The seat is ghey, after 200km you're looking for a stretch. However, you're getting gas about then, so not the end of the world. If touring was my priority, then I'd be changing the seat. The S is worth getting for the lights, they're pretty good (nice big reflectors, and two of them).

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Biggest difference is the bar reach... but that's not actually where the biggest problem lies! The seat is ghey, after 200km you're looking for a stretch. However, you're getting gas about then, so not the end of the world. If touring was my priority, then I'd be changing the seat. The S is worth getting for the lights, they're pretty good (nice big reflectors, and two of them).
    Cheers for the input. I'm not too worried about the seat as I have plans to get an aftermarket one anyway.

The headlight issue is an interesting one. If I went for the naked I'd probably look at getting a secondary one but it's definitely worth considering.

Thread Information