Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SV650 vs. SV650s (for touring)

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250

SV650 vs. SV650s (for touring)

So I have my eyes set on an SV650 or SV650s as my next bike.

I'm having a hard time deciding which would suit me better overall so thought I'd get some opinions on each of them for touring, as I'll be doing that frequently.

In the case of the SV650, does the lack of fairing affect the comfort so much for the long haul? With the increased wind I've read it can get tiring. I'm just wondering if it's likely to be more or less tiring than the 650S which has the fairing but the tradeoff of a more aggressive riding position.

It looks like a bit of a catch 22, one has a more comfortable riding position and no fairing, the other has a fairing but a less comfortable riding position.

I have toured on my little GSX-R250 before, but as you can imagine that gets achey after around 200km.

I'm only really wanting opinions on this from a touring perspective at this stage. I appreciate any advice/comments, cheers.

Mike
    "Now you've got it. If you owned a Honda then your opinion would matter. You would then know the Ducati you don't own runs like crap." - howie (DML)

Bike
    81 katana 650 fighter.
    Blog Entries
    well for touring you need to be comfortable, i would choose that over anything if i was going long haul...yes the fairings will make a difference protect you from bugs etc...

but surely somebody could adapt some fairings to the non fairinged one for you

just my thoughts

cheers: Mark

Bike
    2011 Kawasaki ZX-14 "Monster"
    I would go with the faired version. Everyday use, sporty riding, and especially touring will be made easier with fairing due to less wind, plus better aerodynamics due to a constant air pocket thingy....
    There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there? -Clerks

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    I recently did the Southern Cross on a naked bike (5350 km in a week).
    Yes I did note my neck getting sore from the wind buffeting by the end of 13 hrs riding but for shorter rides 4 -5 hrs no problem.
    I have a couple of friends recently gone from fully faired to naked bikes and they have commented the wind blast reminds them how fast they are going and helps keep speed down.

Largely I think you will get used to what ever you have.

Get something you enjoy riding, then ride it.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    I believe that the position is different between the 1000s and the 650s with the 650- slightly more upright. That said for my 1000s at about 110 kph my wrists are neutral. I sometimes get a sore arse but have been using a sheepskin and it is fine for long hauls. So for me I've found the s version quite comfortable for touring. I've never got the sore neck thing that you get from holding your head forward that you get on nakeds.

Around town is an entirely different matter - lol.

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    Yeah I'd have to say my biggest complaint about my Gixxer for touring was a sore arse, though my shoulder/back started aching one time too. I've never had a sore neck from riding. I guess it comes down to which is worse, a sore arse or a sore neck. :P

I will be using mine for commuting around town too, though I don't find that too bad as it's usually only for a short duration.
    "Now you've got it. If you owned a Honda then your opinion would matter. You would then know the Ducati you don't own runs like crap." - howie (DML)

Bike
    Aprilia RSV1000RR
    I cant speak for the 650 & 650S, but on the 1000 & 1000s the riding position is alot different. I find engine braking around town on my 'S' kills my wrists faster than open road riding. The S is definately more for open roads, and the standard is for around town hooliganism.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sv_s_naked.gif 
Views:	84 
Size:	159.3 KB 
ID:	62140  

Bike
    1999 GSXR1100W, 1975 CT90
    You could get a windscreen to go on top of the 650's front light, Ducati Monster style

Although the S looks so good, go for that and get the rearsets and handlebars off the naked model

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I cant speak for the 650 & 650S, but on the 1000 & 1000s the riding position is alot different. I find engine braking around town on my 'S' kills my wrists faster than open road riding. The S is definately more for open roads, and the standard is for around town hooliganism.
    I'm loving that .gif image, thanks! It definitely helps see the differences that you normally only read about.

As a general question, are naked bikes made more for commuting or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote
    You could get a windscreen to go on top of the 650's front light, Ducati Monster style

Although the S looks so good, go for that and get the rearsets and handlebars off the naked model
    Yeah I have a model of the Duke monster, I really like its style. That sounds pretty expensive though.

Bike
    I just lost count
    Cant speak for the 650 but I did I good tour over Easter on the 1000s, about 1500km cant remeber the exact figure, and found the the handle bar position was fine, my biggest problem was the seat. After I fairly continuis ride from Wanganui home via Stratford and the Forgotten higway my arse was numb as.

Need to find time to get the seat to the Rider guys in Tauranga.

For the record Qkkid was in my bed, not the other way round

Quote Originally Posted by Yow Ling View Post
    Pumba is a wise man.

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    I did about 7-8000km on my SV650s-mostly on the open road-between 1 to 6-7 hr trips. I found the seat was fine and fairing great. I was always fresh when I arrived. My only issue was my right wrist going to sleep thanks to the sports position of the clipons. This could be managed by clamping the tank with knees, making sure elbows bent, and not grasping the grip too hard. This has been my only issue with the bike and with several trips being around 700kms in one day, I found the bike great.

Bike
    Suzuki V-Strom 1000
    I ride the 650s model and have recently done a eastcoast trip from Wellington. So basically, riding for 3 days covering some 1700km's. I must say that I was very impressed with the fairing how little that may be.

Depending on your torso length, you can duck a little by moving your arse back up the seat a bit and travel like this for some time in high winds.

I have never ridden the 650 naked version. My choice would be to get a small screen to avoid bugs and have some cover how little this may be.

Travelling 2-up is not that comfortable. My wife thought it was good

Around town the 650s can be a little tiring on the palms I found. But overall its a great bike and you'll have lots of fun with either the 650 or the 650s. Plenty of low down grunt to get you out of tricky situations happily, with good economy to boot

Good luck deciding.

Eric

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    Thanks for the input guys, it's good to hear from owners of the bikes.

Any straight 650 owners with info on how they tour?

Bike
    09 Bonneville, 79 SR500
    Quote Originally Posted by shcabbeh View Post
    Any straight 650 owners with info on how they tour?
    As opposed to gay ones do you mean?
    The views expressed above may not match yours - But that's the reason my Dad went to war - wasn't it?
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, .... but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,... shouting "man, what a ride"!!!

Bike
    1988 Suzuki GSX-R 250
    Haha shit, not sure how I missed that.

Thread Information