Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Grub takes on/off the Rimis

Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Blog Entries
    Well, I tried, organised two newbie rides recently, that were apparently enjoyed by those who attended. However, I don't have the riding knowledge to personally guide newbies, so had to rely upon experienced ppls to turn up (and only had about 3 newbies turn up anyways).

Bike
    Suzuki AN125 Scooter, Honda scooter
    Cheers - I know there quite a few of you only to ready to help newbies. And do so often.
    Agree with you Trudi it is a big responsbility when you are fairly new yourself - you need experience riders along. I am happy to help another rider, but would not put up my hand to organise a group ride.

I guess I was just saying that Uncle B seemed to have a real passion for helping new riders, not just with his organised rides but quietly stepped in when he thought anyone was needing help. Often at the expense of going for a ride himself. And this carried through to the organised rides, he seemed to be able to gather lots of other experienced riders to join in and make it a fun day out for all.
    Big shoes to fill.

Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely Magicfairy!!
    I never wanted to fill Uncle B's size 12s (Or whatever) and never would've been able to anyway, I just wanted to give the newbie rides a 'kick in the arse' so to speak, and get them up and running again, and as it happened, Grub and Nasty have tried to carry the spirit on with TCSMR, so I believe it has worked. TCSMR is a good opportunity for newbies to get out on rides that are slower paced with other 'cruisers'.
    However, one on one mentoring is the best thing for newbies, I believe, and there are several people about who are willing to take newer riders under their wing. Uncle B can't be replaced (yep, we should've cloned him!), however there are people out there who are happy to help new riders, they just need to ask!!
    Lets not forget though, even the most skilled, cautious and experienced rider can have an accident, that's why it's called an accident, and hopefully, like Grub, you're able to walk away from it and learn for next time and possibly pass on what you've learned to others.

Bike
    So old you won't care
    Seriously (again)

We all have a theory on what may or may not be 'help' for a newer rider.

My own opinions on riding and even guiding newer riders were quite different to Bruces. (this does not in anyway diminish my respect for a great person who did way more than was required to contribute btw - Bruce was a genuine and treasured rarity - a generous spirit)

Bruces gift was getting people to listen to him and thats not something I'm always good at. Having said that - if you are unsure or undecided, if you are repeatedly falling off your bike, if your find yourself regularly in 'unsafe' situations, if your bike is unreliable - this is a great place to ask. Very little comes naturally - most is learnt.

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Mrs K organised some great rides earlier .. and I really enjoyed them .. and the Grub kept them going through the Cruisy Sunday morning ride .. we normally get two or three more experienced and two or three less experienced rides on that ride .. so is often a great learning experience.

Often I run at the rear as I have no problems watching everyones backs and making sure we all get there safe. I also don't see any point in going faster than you want to. The Sunday rides will still happen with or without Grub ... so feel free to join those ... we all learn from each other no matter what level of experience.

Blog Entries
    Hello Brett and Kari

I’ve just taken this morning to trawl through the site, and feel like I have had my head in the sand – Shhhhkkkk. New CBR and third corner from the top of Rimutaka Hill, ambulance, hospital, and back to Accident and Emergency during the week – Shhhhhkkkk.

I been in bed all week and last weekends weather and earlier this week looked superb for a ride, but to read about your off Brett, did take me back a bit, knowing you and Kari always were there to bring up the rear. Take it easy bud rest up and don’t dwell too much at the moment.

I have been off the scene for a while with family bereavement, then wife and daughter came down with bug and both in bed for eight days and no sooner they came right then bang I was in bed, today is my first day up since last Saturday.

Heads Up Brett and Kari – Take It Easy

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckBuckNo1 View Post
    Hello Brett and Kari

I’ve just taken this morning to trawl through the site, and feel like I have had my head in the sand – Shhhhkkkk. New CBR and third corner from the top of Rimutaka Hill, ambulance, hospital, and back to Accident and Emergency during the week – Shhhhhkkkk.

I been in bed all week and last weekends weather and earlier this week looked superb for a ride, but to read about your off Brett, did take me back a bit, knowing you and Kari always were there to bring up the rear. Take it easy bud rest up and don’t dwell too much at the moment.

I have been off the scene for a while with family bereavement, then wife and daughter came down with bug and both in bed for eight days and no sooner they came right then bang I was in bed, today is my first day up since last Saturday.

Heads Up Brett and Kari – Take It Easy
    Man that must be one kick arse bug!

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket

Thanks everyone

Hi team, ferk KB'S a cool place!

Discovered an anti-inflam i can finally take just last night and suddenly i can move - which means sit up and type. So time to get on KB and express the humility that everyone's good wishes and angst on my behalf generates.

You know the wrst thing about doing something like this is that i did it to myself but it becomes such a big thing for everyone else. To Nasty i owe so much coz she's been running around organisng me, stuff and everyone else. A few of you will know how much that depletes her very limited energy levels. (Mind you, she loves organising things - but don't tell her i said so)

Also it seems that i have generated worry, concern and grieving in so many others and that just feels like i'm being so unfair and selfish. I love challenging cornering and the feeling of swooping thru a corner hanging off the bike, I worked out while being imobile, that i've been reproducing the feelings that were so familiar when i was ski racing - I crashed a lot then too

I've woken (or grown?) up in the last few days to the fact that you dust off a skiing wipeout but you can't explore the limits on a bike in the same way! I've learned a valuable lesson - it's not me that i'm hurting, it's others so i'm going to ride sensibly from now on.

I hope you don't mind me taking up space with all of this but i've felt the impact on others quite majorly and wanted to say thanks for your thoughts, but really you should just call me a prat

OK, that's enuff in one sitting ... what happened is in next installment

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Welcome back to KB, glad to hear you are feeling a little better.

I am also glad to hear you will be back on the bike again, using these experiences to learn and become a better rider. Riding sensibly can generate generate a great buzz as well. Smooth is key

Bike
    2007 CB900
    methinks he me

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear you're back up and doing what you can - and big ups to your support person sounds like a winning team back on track!

Take your time to sort it all out and remember to post it up so we can read and reflect about it - never know, your post may help save someone else from coming to grief!

How's the bike by the way?
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Blog Entries
    Just rest up and take it easy.

Bike
    Husky TE310, 2 Buckets and a ZXR250C
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckBuckNo1 View Post
    Just rest up and take it easy.
    Whos dog is that, i have one what is identical!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quallman1234 View Post
    Whos dog is that, i have one what is identical!
    There is only one Arnie Schnauzernegger. Sorry Brett off topic, but take a leaf out of Arnie's book and rest up.

Heads Up and Enjoy

Bike
    Bandit 250
    Sorry to read about your accident Grub but very glad to hear ur on the mend......which brings me to the point,maybe this is an oppurtune time to get the gear to me and sorted???

Thread Information